Canadian Open Blitz: 5v5 or 3+2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open Blitz: 5v5 or 3+2

This post is to seed a discussion of the relative merits and popularity of two different styles of "blitz" chess:
    5 v 5 (where each player has 5 minutes to play all moves), or
    3+2 (where each player has 3 minutes + 2 sec/move to play all moves).

Note: these aren't the only options, and they're not exclusive. Many tournaments advertise 90+30 TC, but state that if no digital clock is available then some other TC (G/120) will be used. A similar option is available for Blitz.

Pros of 5 v 5:
    1. Can be played with non-digital clocks.
    2. Traditional.
    3. Makes for exciting last second time scrambles.
    4. Predictable ending time for each round.

Cons of 5 v 5:
    1. Increased chance of "unsportsmanlike" attempts to win on time when up a few seconds with a losing position.
    2. TD may have to intervene to adjudicate positions where a player is attempting to win on time rather than "by normal means".
    3. Special rules required to cover cases of flagging when opponent does not have mating material (B v Q).
    4. Special rules required to cover cases of flagging when opponent has mating material, but only enough for a "help-mate" (e.g. White flags with QRR vs N, and Black wins because it is possible for Black to mate White).

Pros of 3+2
    1. Modern (the choice for top GM blitz tournaments, e.g. after the Tal Memorials in Moscow).
    2. Avoids "unsportsmanlike" attempts to win on time when up a few seconds with a losing position (because player with less time will not flag so long as moves take less than the 2 sec increment).
    3. No special rules required to cover cases like those described above.

Cons of 3+2
    1. Requires digital clocks.
    2. Less predictable duration of each round (In principle, each game could go on infinitely long).
    5 minutes vs 5 minutes.
    39.13%
    3 minutes + 2 seconds (per player per game)
    30.43%
    I don't think I'd play, and I don't have a preference.
    17.39%
    I'd like to play, but don't have a preference (either TC is OK)
    13.04%

The poll is expired.

Re: Canadian Open Blitz: 5v5 or 3+2

I've prefered playing 3+2 for some time now, but I would play either way.

Comment

If anyone has any more 'pros' or 'cons' to add to the ones I put in the first post, please do so; that way this thread can be more than a poll result, but a discussion of blitz formats that future TDs can use to help them decide what sort of event to run.

Comment

I don't know if this really counts as a separate "pro" for 3+2, but I find in general, that incremental time controls tend to favour more "natural resolution" to the games. I do not mean this just with regards to "unsporting behaviour" but also driving piece exchanges more when playing sudden-death rather than with incrementals, where you wouldn't necessarily just exchange due to time fears, but rather play more like a full chess game, just a hell of a lot faster. Maybe though that is one of the key points behind how people are considering to vote, i.e. do people playing blitz think of it as very fast chess, or rather as a slightly different game, where the strategies are more immediate. In poker terms, I guess the equivalent would be starting with big stacks vs. super small stacks, both of which are proliferating as online poker options, as they entail different strategies.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          play more like a full chess game, just a hell of a lot faster. Maybe though that is one of the key points behind how people are considering to vote, i.e. do people playing blitz think of it as very fast chess, or rather as a slightly different game, where the strategies are more immediate
          I've wondered a bit about this -- is blitz fast chess or a different game resembling chess --- because it seems to me that 5v5 and 3+2 are very different strategically.

It's easier to convert a technically winning position when you can play at an average of 2 sec/move, rather than having to squeeze in many moves into a few seconds; so 3+2 rewards good endgame skill more than 5v5.
          Conversely, 5v5 allows/is more forgiving of/encourages dubious sacs and gambits which can be refuted in an endgame, but only if the material-up player has very fast technique. This "forgivingness" of 5v5 might be one of the things that appeals to blitz players, since it gives them an outlet for their less cautious urges.

Comment

Working...
          X