Best Canadian Open...Toronto 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Canadian Open...Toronto 2010

Congratulations to Brian Fiedler, Michael Barron and the entire organizing committee for the best Canadian Open ever.

It is always wonderful to have all the boards, sets and clocks provided.

It is also great to have this event take place in a first class hotel.

And a new innovation..having first round pairings made in advance was a major plus that will hopefully be followed in future Opens.

An added plus was the large number of side events including the very popular trivia contest.

Another plus was the number of high profile sponsors and the visibility each attained.

Plus a quality tournament director and staff

Re: Best Canadian Open...Toronto 2010

Originally posted by Phil Haley View Post
    Congratulations to Brian Fiedler, Michael Barron and the entire organizing committee for the best Canadian Open ever.
    Let's just hold on a second here. Maybe it was a fine Canadian open, but "best ever"? How about Winnipeg '96 which sort of set the standard for the new era of Canadian Opens? What about Edmonton '05 which had super GMs like Shirov and Ivanchuk? This event had 5 GMs (as opposed to double digit GMs for each of the other two I mention), zero norms generated, a prize fund that was relatively standard for a Canadian Open.

I'm all for praising organizers, but what did this tournament do better than past Canadian opens? Do you really think 20 years from now, people will look back on Canadian Open 2010 as "the gold standard" to be followed by everyone?

It is always wonderful to have all the boards, sets and clocks provided.
    Nice, sure. In my experience though, most players ready to play a Canadian open have this equipment already. It does save a bit of dispute over whose set/clock to use I guess.

It is also great to have this event take place in a first class hotel.
    As long as the room is well lit, quiet, and spacious, and the playing location in a safe area with convenient access and places to eat, having it in a first class hotel is pretty irrelevant to me. Definitely, however, from everything I can see, the playing site of the event was a definite win.

And a new innovation..having first round pairings made in advance was a major plus that will hopefully be followed in future Opens.
    Does anyone really care about this? I find it hard to call this a "major plus" - sure it's nice, but you are having at most a tiny impact on one round of the tournament.

An added plus was the large number of side events including the very popular trivia contest.
    Again standard in my experience for Canadian opens?

Another plus was the number of high profile sponsors and the visibility each attained.
    Searching Canadian open chess 2010 in google results in the top 3 responses:
    1) Entry form for Canadian open, which includes a fruit salad of sponsor logos at the bottom of the first page.
    2) CFC website
    3) Mon Roi site which I guess is the official site, which has no sponsor logos on the front page, and not even a sponsor tab along the top list of 6 other tabs.

Hard to see that there was a ton of visibility for the sponsors, which is too bad because I definitely agree they did a great job getting some high quality companies to be involved in sponsoring this tournament.

Plus a quality tournament director and staff
    Given the very debatable decision to implement an overly complicated pairing system which they were unable to successfully use to get correct pairings, I can't give you this one; they did the job and had little in the way of major problems, but I wouldn't say they distinguished themselves as running an exceptionally problem free event.

It was surey a successful Canadian Open and if every Canadian Open was like this one, that would be just fine. However, I would not call it the "best ever" by a fair ways.

Comment

In my opinion - as a player - the best Canadian Open was the one held in 1977 in Fredericton, NB. A long time ago - but for me, the conditions were perfect. Air-conditioned site at UNB, accommodation and meals on-site, a short walk or cab ride (at the time, $1/person would give you a cab ride anywhere in the city) to the city attractions, a well-attended banquet, and complimentary airport pickup and dropoff.

CFC report mentions "smoke was dispersed away from the games rapidly", and "Larry Bevand was efficient in both official languages as TD" (I had forgotten that he was TD). 166 players; Jan Green-Krotki won with 8.5/10; James Bolton and a young Yasser Seirawan had 8/10. Top junior was Brian Fiedler.

Comment

I've only played in 4, but Edmonton 2005 by far tops my list. I didn't play in Toronto (I played the blitz), and while it seems like it was really enjoyable I doubt it would top my experience in Edmonton.

Comment

I would like to thank the Organizing Commitee, the Tournament Director and his Staff, as well as all the sponsers for an outstanding 2010 Canadian Open. This was my first tournament in many years and I had a wonderfull time. From a B class players prospective I thought that the tournament was very proffessionaly run. I was in contention for 1st place in my section going into my last round game (which I lost on time on move 27 in a difficult position-OUCH!!) and who could ask for more than that. I met many old friends who I hadn't seen in years, got on a You-Tube video and mated a 2340 player in the Blitz Tournament.
          I can't speak to the problems with the pairings as obviously I am not going for norms but, it seems to me that Frank Dixon's idea of sections and a "normal" pairing system would address that problem. I will let the higher rated players debate this as this affects them. I just show up and play whoever they tell me to.
          Just a note to future Canadian open organizers. I think that it would be classy (and I have no idea if it has been done before) to offer a free entry fee to whoever is the current Canadian Champion. Of course I am not the person putting up the money but this is just my 2 cents worth.
          Again, Thank You for all your hard work and I hope we can do this again in the near future.
          P.S. The CFC got an old member back after many years and he is happy.
          Best Regards
          Larry Castle

Comment

Working...
          X