X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All-time TOP 5 fights on Chesstalk

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
    I think he was going through a rough patch and also paranoid about his daughter's chess results. For example you could say "It's a beautiful day outside!" and he'd take offence to that and somehow think you were criticizing his parental abilities or his daughter's chess skill. Like MMA fighters or boxers he had a short career here on Chesstalk due to too many concussions I think. I've heard he's taken up curling now, I guess that's less painful.
    correction, he's been doing curling for a long time from what I gather, he used to suggest that it wouldn't do me any harm to get some 'exercise' curling

Comment

Wow Kevin nice to meet you. It's great that you play chess as well. I really enjoyed your work in "The Usual Suspects" and "American Beauty" was great too.

That's interesting what you say about post mortems, some players are just amazing at them. Are you saying it's weak for the next round to be beaten in a post mortem or weak for the player winning the post mortem?
      Er, sorry I'm not Kevin Spacey, if that's who you're seriously thinking of :).

My master acquaintance (let's call him BH) felt that one should try not to deliberately lose the post mortem, or refrain from asserting what one believed, if one felt that the opponent was incorrect in his post mortem assertion(s). To do so in his view would (I think he meant) be demoralising, and possibly embarrasing, more so if the post mortem was attended by other people.

In my case I'm more of an intuitive player, or at least my memory of what I was thinking of in a game afterwards is often quite far from complete, so I'm not the best at post mortems anyway. Plus I'm often tired from the struggle and may wish to save energy by not looking at a game too long afterwards.
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 29th July, 2010, 11:53 AM.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Man, I am fucking glad that I didn't go to those movies now...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          Gary Ruben used to have some pretty heated discussions with Tom O'Donnell. It may be my imagination, but Tom may have mellowed since tying the knot.
          Nothing to our discussions. Merely a case of exchanging pleasantriies and a bit of chain yanking.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            Er, sorry I'm not Kevin Spacey, if that's who you're seriously thinking of :).
            Dammit, I thought I was talking to an Oscar winner. ;)

Well you wouldn't deliberately try to lose a post mortem, just let the opponent do all the yapping, while you think about what to have for dinner.

Cheers,
            Brad Itt

Comment

Siddeley-Sarcasm doesn't work very well on the internet...*sigh*...
              When will the poll be up?

Paul Bonham- John Cleese is my favourite comedian of all time(a close 2nd is Bill Maher)
              University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                Siddeley-Sarcasm doesn't work very well on the internet...*sigh*...

When will the poll be up?
                Sarcasm is the lowest form of writ.

Tomorrow afternoon at some point, before I head off to Kitchener.

Comment

Re : All-time TOP 5 fights on Chesstalk

10. Hebert vs anyone who can speak English
                  What a cheap shot... I don't discriminate. I will talk even to Zeljko.

Comment

Re: Re : All-time TOP 5 fights on Chesstalk

Oh my bad, transcript error, it was Nic Haynes who suggested "Jean Hebert vs. Anybody who will talk to him...." :D

Comment

Originally posted by Noam Davies View Post
                      wasn't too pleased about being able to smell this during the movie... definitely gonna narc you out next time
                      yeah, because your bubble tea crap didn't make a shit-tonne of noise or anything, weeaboo
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

shut up!

Know what guys? This is a really lousy topic - ideally suited for contributors to re-hash old battles and generally get rude and fling dung - and, being the authoritarian so-and-so that I am, I'm gonna open a can of whup ass on this thread and close it.

Seriously, there are too many demeaning remarks addressed to other ChessTalkers lately and this is just adding fuel to the fire.

your friendly, neighborhood moderator,
                        Nigel Hanrahan
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                        X