New FQE rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FQE rule

As of September 2011, all rated FQE tournaments will have to use incremental time controls, and thus digital clocks with that feature will be mandatory.

There were three analog clocks in use during round 4 of the Quebec Open (on about 125 boards). A dispute arose when a player started a game using an analog clock; his opponent showed up about two minutes late, and both the player and the arbiter refused to allow a switch to the opponent's digital clock. The was a mistake, in my opinion (worthy of an appeal). Comments?

Re : New FQE rule

Here the story ...

I pointed to my board (# 47) to play the round 4 of Quebec open 2010 The round was started since then I was 1 minute late.

To my surprise my opponent's clock was an old clock Jerger with flag ... I've told my opponent that I wanted to play with my saiteck 3 he flatly denied saying that the round had begun.

I told him we'll its correct for me to have 1:29 and 1:30 for you of course he still refuse .So I stopped the clock to bring the referee that" it can resolve the conflict and my opponent shouted loudly (You have no right to stop the clock) it has undoubtedly upset the whole room and it has not even received a warning for his yelling he deserved one without a doubt, it seems that my opponent does not know (!) that anytime we can stop the clock to bring the referee.

After 15 minutes the referee in chief tells me that since the round was started it was too late to change and that I had to play with my opponent's clock is a clock that dates from the '80s and listen pace with his 40 moves two hours, one hour mate without increment. I was telling her over and over again that you can take my saiteck he refused and in addition I have received a warning (my first in 25 years) and was also penalyse 2 minutes( like hockey ) away so i have to play 40 moves in 1:57 .

a 2 minute penalty to for delay of game ( ! )

When we read the regulations on the website of the FQE can read this ...

[B] Only the digital watches that can meet the pace of the tournament will be accepted. Arbitrator
    may exceptionally accept the presence of analog timers if it considers that all
    Efforts have been made by the players involved to have a digital stopwatch. [/ B]

et voila ! What would have disturbed that my saiteck is installed at 1:29 for me and 1:30 for him ... I think that the chief referee erred in his decision.

Dissatisfied I decided to ask an appeals committee but it seems that his decision was final and without appeal.

A quick trip back in time in 2010 with a beautiful Jerger clock as in the 80s.

Here is the story of a Monday evening at Quebec Open 2010 4 th Round Table on the 47 ... Oh yes I lost a 2 nd game in a row now, but that's another story.
    Last edited by Jean Deschesnes; Tuesday, 27th July, 2010, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : New FQE rule

If the game was FIDE rated, FIDE rules take precedence over FQE rules.

FIDE is largely silent on the issue, likely because they would like to think that organizers provide all equipment all over the world?

a.
      Every indication given by the clocks is considered to be conclusive in the absence of any evident defect. A chess clock with an evident defect shall be replaced. The arbiter shall replace the clock and use his best judgment when determining the times to be shown on the replacement chess clocks.
      That is the most relevant thing I could find, however since the games were allowed to start with analog clocks I don't think you can claim an evident defect for not having incremental controls.

The arbiter made a decision and I am assuming your warning was for continuing to argue with them.

Yes it likely should have been a warning for your opponent for shouting, although if they were an experienced player familiar with tournaments a warning should be the least they would receive for shouting in the tournament hall.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Deschesnes View Post
        Here the story ...

I pointed to my board (# 47) to play the round 4 of Quebec open 2010 The round was started since then I was 1 minute late.

To my surprise my opponent's clock was an old clock Jerger with flag ... I've told my opponent that I wanted to play with my saiteck 3 he flatly denied saying that the round had begun.

I told him we'll its correct for me to have 1:29 and 1:30 for you of course he still refuse .So I stopped the clock to bring the referee that" it can resolve the conflict and my opponent shouted loudly (You have no right to stop the clock) it has undoubtedly upset the whole room and it has not even received a warning for his yelling he deserved one without a doubt, it seems that my opponent does not know (!) that anytime we can stop the clock to bring the referee.

After 15 minutes the referee in chief tells me that since the round was started it was too late to change and that I had to play with my opponent's clock is a clock that dates from the '80s and listen pace with his 40 moves two hours, one hour mate without increment. I was telling her over and over again that you can take my saiteck he refused and in addition I have received a warning (my first in 25 years) and was also penalyse 2 minutes( like hockey ) away so i have to play 40 moves in 1:57 .

a 2 minute penalty to for delay of game ( ! )

When we read the regulations on the website of the FQE can read this ...

[B] Only the digital watches that can meet the pace of the tournament will be accepted. Arbitrator
        may exceptionally accept the presence of analog timers if it considers that all
        Efforts have been made by the players involved to have a digital stopwatch. [/ B]

et voila ! What would have disturbed that my saiteck is installed at 1:29 for me and 1:30 for him ... I think that the chief referee erred in his decision.

Dissatisfied I decided to ask an appeals committee but it seems that his decision was final and without appeal.

A quick trip back in time in 2010 with a beautiful Jerger clock as in the 80s.

Here is the story of a Monday evening at Quebec Open 2010 4 th Round Table on the 47 ... Oh yes I lost a 2 nd game in a row now, but that's another story.
        Incroyable! (sorry, my French is limited...)

The tournament regulations state that the time controls have 30 second INCREMENTS but inexplicably the arbiter has the option to allow the use of an analog clock?? That is stupid. Doubly stupid if there is a digital clock available.

I would rather play WITH increments and a 10-minute penalty than without increments at all.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : New FQE rule

The game was not fide rated it was play in the 1700-2000 section .

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            If the game was FIDE rated, FIDE rules take precedence over FQE rules.

FIDE is largely silent on the issue, likely because they would like to think that organizers provide all equipment all over the world?

That is the most relevant thing I could find, however since the games were allowed to start with analog clocks I don't think you can claim an evident defect for not having incremental controls.

The arbiter made a decision and I am assuming your warning was for continuing to argue with them.

Yes it likely should have been a warning for your opponent for shouting, although if they were an experienced player familiar with tournaments a warning should be the least they would receive for shouting in the tournament hall.

A clock that doesn't provide increments in a tournament that USES increments is certainly a DEFECTIVE clock in my opinion. What if his opponent had used an egg timer??
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              What if his opponent had used an egg timer??
              He could not as it is not a chess clock (two clocks with ability to start one when other is stopped, and with flags :D

What do the tournament rules say about a time control and digital vs analog clocks?

Comment

Re: New FQE rule

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                As of September 2011, all rated FQE tournaments will have to use incremental time controls, and thus digital clocks with that feature will be mandatory.

There were three analog clocks in use during round 4 of the Quebec Open (on about 125 boards). A dispute arose when a player started a game using an analog clock; his opponent showed up about two minutes late, and both the player and the arbiter refused to allow a switch to the opponent's digital clock. The was a mistake, in my opinion (worthy of an appeal). Comments?
                Are you telling me this beauty will now be illegal? I remember how excited I was when I got it back in the 70's! :(

Comment

The tournament rules (printed copies were available on the table at the entrance to the tournament hall) state the following:

"Cadence : 40 coups / 90 minutes + 30 minutes/mat avec 30 sec. d'incrémentation depuis le 1e coup.
                  Seuls les chronomètres digitaux qui peuvent respecter la cadence du tournoi seront acceptés. L'arbitre
                  pourra exceptionnellement accepter la présence de chronomètres analogiques s'il juge que tous les
                  efforts ont été faits par les joueurs impliqués pour se doter d'un chronomètre digital."

Translation:

"Time control: 40 moves/90 minutes +30 minutes/mate with 30 sec. incrementation from move 1.

Only digital clocks that can be programmed for this option will be accepted. The arbiter can exceptionally allow analog clocks if he believes that all efforts were made by the players to find a digital clock."

(obviously the player with the analog clock didn't do much searching for a digital clock - he was in the room for at least half an hour before the round started).

Comment

What is the digital clock to buy nowadays?

Comment

Neil wrote:

What is the digital clock to buy nowadays?
                      For me, it's always been the Chronos. Solid and durable - the touch-sensitive models are great for blitz - they are indestructible. $100 in the US.

http://www.chronosdealer.com/

A new Garde model is out - looks like the original wooden Garde case - but with two large digital displays where the round clock faces would have been.

Original analog model:
                      http://www.classicalgames.com/Mercha...ct_Code=000532

New digital model:
                      http://www.chesshouse.com/Digital_Ga..._p/chclk18.htm

Comment

The game had already started. If the player considered the change of equipment an annoyance during the game, it's understandable the arbiter would have refused to allow that.

Once you start allowing the change of clocks during the game, would you also allow a player coming late to change the pieces to his own because he doesn't like the size or weight of the ones in play?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: New FQE rule

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

Once you start allowing the change of clocks during the game, would you also allow a player coming late to change the pieces to his own because he doesn't like the size or weight of the ones in play?
                          Gary,
                          Pieces (if Staunton type with proper size) is a matter of taste. The time control with incrementation is a rule, so an analog clock should be used only if a digital clock is absolutely unavailable.

Comment

As of September 2011, all rated FQE tournaments will have to use incremental time controls,

Comments?
                            It's only July 2010. New rule is not in effect therefore I don't see any problems with the TD's decision of using analog clock.
                            A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Re: Re : Re: New FQE rule

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                              Gary,
                              The time control with incrementation is a rule, so an analog clock should be used only if a digital clock is absolutely unavailable.
                              At what point can it be changed after the game begins. If another game finishes quickly and the digital clock can be used to replace an analog clock at move 10, should the switch be made if one of the players objects?

When the starting time passes and the player who is present makes his move and presses the clock the game has begun. Even if the player of he black pieces presses the clock the game has begun.

I've never read the FQE rules so don't know what it allows but think the Arbiter made a proper decision. Who is the arbiter?
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X