New (Returning) CFC Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (Returning) CFC Member

Back in June 2010 along with my entry fee for the Canadian Open I also paid for a years membership in the CFC as was required. To date, I have not received a membership card or a password to get access to the webzine. I was just wondering if anyone can let me know what is going on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Castle

Re: New (Returning) CFC Member

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
    Back in June 2010 along with my entry fee for the Canadian Open I also paid for a years membership in the CFC as was required. To date, I have not received a membership card or a password to get access to the webzine. I was just wondering if anyone can let me know what is going on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Castle

Hi Larry,

The people in charge at this time at the CFC (Gerry and Bob) truly care...I am sure they will handle this situation immediately...I am confident you will be well served within 24 hours!

I would glady hire them at CMA :)

Isn't life on the internet bliss :)

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

The CFC no longer issues membership cards. They are no longer needed now that everything is provided online in the way of ratings and membership status. Organizers can simply check the website for your current membership status or what most do is download the membership database for swisssys (software) and they are totally up-to-date.

As for the web magazine, it is actually a monthly newsletter that is sent to all CFC members. There is no website login, but the website does have a couple of issues that they give away each year. I would advise you to send an email to the CFC giving them your email address (quote your full name, address and email address and CFC number) and you will get on the list for distribution. info@chess.ca

If you give me your email address, I will gladly send you the latest issue to get you up-to-date.

tficzere@telus.net

Comment

If I were a faster typer Larry, I would have beaten you to the post:)

Comment

Hi Larry:

'Til Bob Gillanders confirms the situation, I'll try to answer:

1. I thought the office no longer gave out physical membership cards. Your membership is verified by the expiry date on your ratings page on the CFC Website;

2. There no longer is a webzine. It was replaced by an electronic newsletter to all members, Canadian Chess News ( it is very good ). You just have to make sure the CFC office has your e-mail address.

3. There is a members' CFC Chess Forum, a discussion board almost identical to this one. You can get to it from the link on the CFC Website, and can register to be able to post.

If I'm wrong on any of these, please jump in and correct me.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 9th August, 2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
            Hi Larry,

The CFC no longer issues membership cards. They are no longer needed now that everything is provided online in the way of ratings and membership status. Organizers can simply check the website for your current membership status or what most do is download the membership database for swisssys (software) and they are totally up-to-date.

As for the web magazine, it is actually a monthly newsletter that is sent to all CFC members. There is no website login, but the website does have a couple of issues that they give away each year. I would advise you to send an email to the CFC giving them your email address (quote your full name, address and email address and CFC number) and you will get on the list for distribution. info@chess.ca

If you give me your email address, I will gladly send you the latest issue to get you up-to-date.

tficzere@telus.net
            Hi Tony,

You are part of the positive equation :)

Keep up the good work :)

Larry

Comment

wow, how was that for a welcome back! :)

Larry, it is great to see you back in tournament chess. As you can see, the new CFC is happy to welcome back old members. :D

Bob A. is right on all counts. Just email info@chess.ca to get new newsletter. I would be interested in your comparison to the old printed magazine.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi Larry
                If you still have your old card keep it it should have your last CFC # on it and if it is ancient you may need to check CFC website to find out your new 6 digit number.
                As for expiry dates Just go to ratings and type in your name it will give you your data.

Comment

When you're looking for a player under rating the search button saying Ratings (sql - beta) is usually more stable than the normal one, same for the crosstable submit buttons.

Larry: your info is all there. TD's just look people up at registration time now, if they see somebody they aren't sure of.

I have no problem getting ratings off my cell phone (kind of a poor man's blackberry). HTC touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    When you're looking for a player under rating the search button saying Ratings (sql - beta) is usually more stable than the normal one, same for the crosstable submit buttons.

Larry: your info is all there. TD's just look people up at registration time now, if they see somebody they aren't sure of.

I have no problem getting ratings off my cell phone (kind of a poor man's blackberry). HTC touch.

Hi Fred,

I will give you an update after the NAYCC...scared to be dinged for alll kinds of CFC fees after the event.

After the first day I will post the info on this site..hopefully Bob will telll me who owes money...so that way it will not come out of CMA pockets :)

I know the world thinks we are rich...but the reality is far different :)

LAry

Comment

Hi Larry - When I said Larry, I was referring to Larry Castle.

I see where the NA Youth event is FIDE, CFC, and CMA rated. I'm not sure what special arrangements have been made by CMA and CFC for the CFC and FIDE rating fees.

Comment

I think the CFC charges 50 cents per player if all the players in the event are juniors and no CFC membership is required as long as the event is submitted using SwissSys.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Hi Larry - When I said Larry, I was referring to Larry Castle.

I see where the NA Youth event is FIDE, CFC, and CMA rated. I'm not sure what special arrangements have been made by CMA and CFC for the CFC and FIDE rating fees.

I ran the tournament flyer by the CFC FIDE rep many months ago....which I assume he took to the CFC execuitive...these were based on a former North American Youth Chanmpionship in Florida a number of years ago...I hope those conditons will be respected....

Larry

Comment

Larry: I think you know the CFC is very supportive of the event. I've e-mailed you.

Comment

To L. Bevand, Tony F., B. Armstrong, B. Gillanders, J. Brown and F. McKim
                              WOW !!! Thank You all for your timely and informative replies. Everything is cool.
                              I can see that the CFC is being run by people who care. Keep up the good work. I know that you guys put in a lot of hours of work that many people do not appreciate but I can tell you that I do. Thanks again.

For Larry B.
                              After playing in the Can. Open and seeing how well the young people played and how many there were, I can only say that you and your organization have done a remarkable job. I believe that the future of Canadian Chess will be very bright.

Best Regards
                              Larry Castle

Comment

Working...
                              X