NAYCC has been rated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAYCC has been rated!

The North American Youth Chess Championship (NAYCC) was rated today by the Chess'n Math Association (CMA), You can find the new ratings at:

http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=6360

We have submitted the results to Gerry at the CFC in order to have the event rated by the Chess Federation of Canada and the World Chess Federation and they will no doubt rate the event within a week.

Gerry has been a total pleasure to work with on this!

He also explained how the current FIDE rules work on this (I have not read FIDE rules since...I learned how to read :)

This is what he wrote in an e-mail to me today (he had only gone through the girls sections at this point):

"FIDE will only rate results against FIDE rated players.
    FIDE unrated players only bank results if they score at least 1/3 against FIDE rated players.

Most of the girls are unrated even though many more do have FIDE ID's.
    I have determined the following;

Girls sections - Rateable by FIDE
    U18 & U16

Girls sections - Not rateable by FIDE

U14 - Only 1 FIDE rated player
    U12 - No FIDE rated players
    U10 - No FIDE rated players
    U8 - No FIDE rated players"

Re: NAYCC has been rated!

As usual great CMA rating service for the marquee events.

I wonder about a couple of unrated players: Aidan and Ryan Sowa. Since the CMA rating procedure has never been published, I can't say they are wrong, but they look way out of whack with performances of similar scoring players in their groups.

Other unrateds may have similar odd ratings........

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

I wonder about a couple of unrated players: Aidan and Ryan Sowa. Since the CMA rating procedure has never been published, I can't say they are wrong, but they look way out of whack with performances of similar scoring players in their groups.

Hi Fred,

Please send me an e-mail with what you believe to be "odd".

I will take a look.

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Congratulation for the nice youth chess tournament. I guess Canada get 4 CM and 1 WCM from the crosstable, how many our kids exactly got CMs or WCMs by this tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          The North American Youth Chess Championship (NAYCC) was rated today by the Chess'n Math Association (CMA), You can find the new ratings at:

http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=6360

We have submitted the results to Gerry at the CFC in order to have the event rated by the Chess Federation of Canada and the World Chess Federation and they will no doubt rate the event within a week.

Gerry has been a total pleasure to work with on this!

He also explained how the current FIDE rules work on this (I have not read FIDE rules since...I learned how to read :)

This is what he wrote in an e-mail to me today (he had only gone through the girls sections at this point):

"FIDE will only rate results against FIDE rated players.
          FIDE unrated players only bank results if they score at least 1/3 against FIDE rated players.

Most of the girls are unrated even though many more do have FIDE ID's.
          I have determined the following;

Girls sections - Rateable by FIDE
          U18 & U16

Girls sections - Not rateable by FIDE

U14 - Only 1 FIDE rated player
          U12 - No FIDE rated players
          U10 - No FIDE rated players
          U8 - No FIDE rated players"
          How about a FIDE unrated player who ever scored at least 1/3 against FIDE rated players before in other tournament, however in this tournament only played one FIDE rated player? For eg. Michael Song scored 1/4 in Canadian open against FIDE rated players and Scored 1/1 in NAYCC. Will this game be banked?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
            How about a FIDE unrated player who ever scored at least 1/3 against FIDE rated players before in other tournament, however in this tournament only played one FIDE rated player? For eg. Michael Song scored 1/4 in Canadian open against FIDE rated players and Scored 1/1 in NAYCC. Will this game be banked?

Thanks
            Unfortunately, even if he scored 2/2 it wouldn't count. You need a minimum of three opponents no matter what. So it won't count, he still needs 5 more games.

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
              Hi Larry,

Congratulation for the nice youth chess tournament. I guess Canada get 4 CM and 1 WCM from the crosstable, how many our kids exactly got CMs or WCMs by this tournament?
              If I'm not mistaken it's only 3 CMs:
              Hong Rui Zhu - North American Champion in U12 Open
              Ziyi Qin - North American Champion in U14 Open
              Arthur Calugar - North American Champion in U16 Open

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your e-mail.

The point you bring up makes perfect sense. I am going to look into it this weekend...but from what I see we could make the change you suggested and simply re-rate the event on Monday.

This would only change the ratings of players who are unrated and those who played unrated players. I will be less cryptic by Monday :)

Thanks for your constructive input!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Vladimir Birarov View Post
                  If I'm not mistaken it's only 3 CMs:
                  Hong Rui Zhu - North American Champion in U12 Open
                  Ziyi Qin - North American Champion in U14 Open
                  Arthur Calugar - North American Champion in U16 Open
                  I search for the fide website and it said: "America’s Regional Youth Festival
                  U-18, 16, 14, 12,10, 8 1st, up to 3 players = CM title" same as WCM.

In U18B, Alexander Martchenko and Victor Shen, both got 6/7. They supposed to be recognized as 1st place, no matter Alex lost in play off(he just lost champion title, that's it). So, Alex should get CM title?

Same as in U8G, Mathanhe Kaneshalingam should get WCM title?

Do I get fide regulation misunderstanding?

Comment

yes, we had an experience from last year NAYCC in Mexico. CM or WCM title for same score in first place or second place. but it is not big deal of CM or WCM title, better get FM or WFM. That was CFC staff told us not necessary to apply. Only difference is only first place each section has right to have free accomp. hotel+ eat in Pan-American next year. Second place is not a invited player.

Comment

Working...
                    X