Olympiad Team Donations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad Team Donations...

When I go to the www.chess.ca website, I see only $10,000 approximately donated to date. Recalling that the FQE gave $2,000, that seems kind of poor!

I have occasionally seen comments on CT (quite some time ago) about some of the former chess "stars" who have done well in life. How do we get them to donate?

I will make an offer...

If 3 individuals will donate $1,000 each, I will do the same. All I ask is that Gerry L. say that 3 have done so after today (old donations do not count and organizations do not count). This would add $4,000 in a hurry if some of the "well-off" members or former members of our chess community step forward.

There is not much time remaining.

Re: Olympiad Team Donations...

I can only say what I've said previously. The CFC makes it so difficult to donate that it's almost like they don't want it. What kind of organization doesn't accept any kind of electronic payment? I mean, even if you somehow negotiate the disaster that is the CFC front page and find the Olympiad team page, there is a top link that says "Donate now!". You click on that and what happens? The page simply refreshes - no form to tell you how to donate, no explanation of where to send a donation, no mention of the tax benefit, nothing - just a little thermometer. Really?
    Last edited by David Ottosen; Thursday, 16th September, 2010, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
      I can only say what I've said previously. The CFC makes it so difficult to donate that it's almost like they don't want it. What kind of organization doesn't accept any kind of electronic payment? I mean, even if you somehow negotiate the disaster that is the CFC front page and find the Olympiad team page, there is a top link that says "Donate now!". You click on that and what happens? The page simply refreshes - no form to tell you how to donate, no explanation of where to send a donation, no mention of the tax benefit, nothing - just a little thermometer. Really?
      +1 totally agree...i had an inkling to donate some money and there was absolutely no information on where to do it so the feeling passed...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
        +1 totally agree...i had an inkling to donate some money and there was absolutely no information on where to do it so the feeling passed...
        I find it quite easy...

"Hello, Gerry, here is my credit card number! OK, thanks!"

Done, probably even faster than doing it on-line. And you get the AeroPlan points or whatever you collect!

If Gerry is not there, I get a call back and do it then.

I remember a sports coach's saying, "It is always easy to find ways to lose..., but it is those who are determined to win...!" or something like that. I can't remember who/what/where/when...!

Who said "Just do it!" NIKE or some other sports shoe company?

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
          I remember a sports coach's saying, "It is always easy to find ways to lose..., but it is those who are determined to win...!" or something like that. I can't remember who/what/where/when...!
          You're right. I'm not determined to give away my money for essentially no tangible benefit, so I don't go through a lot of effort to do it, which includes trying to figure out exactly what the CFC phone number is, or magically divine that you can donate using your CC.

Why does the "Donate Now" button not link to a simple page that says something like "You can donate using your Visa/Mastercard. Simply phone XXXXX during Monday to Friday business hours and we'll be glad to sort out your donation. Remember that all donations are tax deductible." So hard?

Is there some legitimate reason that the CFC cannot accept donations via Paypal? Has anyone ever looked at third party donation acceptance sites? A super fast internet search makes it appear we could have this set up in a day by using a site like http://www.canadahelps.org/Home.aspx. (I have no idea if this site is legitimate or not but it seems ok) - CFC would pay a 3.9% fee off every donation, and would have to do nothing other than say "Thanks for the money". The site collects the money, passes it to the CFC, and issues the necessary tax receipt. I don't know if this is the best site for this, but it certainly looks to be in the right neighbourhood, and if the "Donate Now" link on the Olympiad team went to this page, I'd feel pretty comfortable whipping through the process.

The #1 rule in fundraising should always be: Make it easy for people to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
            You're right. I'm not determined to give away my money for essentially no tangible benefit, so I don't go through a lot of effort to do it, which includes trying to figure out exactly what the CFC phone number is, or magically divine that you can donate using your CC.

Why does the "Donate Now" button not link to a simple page that says something like "You can donate using your Visa/Mastercard. Simply phone XXXXX during Monday to Friday business hours and we'll be glad to sort out your donation. Remember that all donations are tax deductible." So hard?

Is there some legitimate reason that the CFC cannot accept donations via Paypal? Has anyone ever looked at third party donation acceptance sites? A super fast internet search makes it appear we could have this set up in a day by using a site like http://www.canadahelps.org/Home.aspx. (I have no idea if this site is legitimate or not but it seems ok) - CFC would pay a 3.9% fee off every donation, and would have to do nothing other than say "Thanks for the money". The site collects the money, passes it to the CFC, and issues the necessary tax receipt. I don't know if this is the best site for this, but it certainly looks to be in the right neighbourhood, and if the "Donate Now" link on the Olympiad team went to this page, I'd feel pretty comfortable whipping through the process.

The #1 rule in fundraising should always be: Make it easy for people to donate.
            David,

We will simply have to agree to disagree. I find it exceedingly easy!

I stand by my previous post.

The anti-CFC emotions from a few years ago are still with us and those who do not want to donate can always find reason not to. Those who really want to donate will get it done.

Now, please do not all jump in and make this about how much you dislike the CFC and what it does/doesn't do, etc. I don't care and we have heard it all before anyway.

I simply wanted to make an offer to get donations rolling and if one is this far down the page, please return to the first post in this thread and read it again.

Comment

Thank you Ken for your wonderful offer!!

I sincerely hope some of our more affluent members take up your challenge.

The difficulty with the website was noted a few months ago and a fix to the "Donate Now" button somehow did not take. From the front page of the CFC site I found this:

The Chess Federation of Canada
              356 Ontario Street, Suite 373
              Stratford, ON
              N5A 7X6

Telephone:
              (519) 508-2362
              Fax:
              (519)508-6595

E-Mail: info@chess.ca

Cheques can be mailed to the above address, made out to the Chess Federation of Canada. On the memo line of your cheque the words "Olympic Fund" will suffice, or you can attach a note.

Thanks again Ken!! I hope everyone will consider supporting our teams any way that you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                Thank you Ken for your wonderful offer!!

I sincerely hope some of our more affluent members take up your challenge.

The difficulty with the website was noted a few months ago and a fix to the "Donate Now" button somehow did not take. From the front page of the CFC site I found this:

The Chess Federation of Canada
                356 Ontario Street, Suite 373
                Stratford, ON
                N5A 7X6

Telephone:
                (519) 508-2362
                Fax:
                (519)508-6595

E-Mail: info@chess.ca

Cheques can be mailed to the above address, made out to the Chess Federation of Canada. On the memo line of your cheque the words "Olympic Fund" will suffice, or you can attach a note.

Thanks again Ken!! I hope everyone will consider supporting our teams any way that you can.
                Any news on the charitable receipt status?
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Les Bunning (CFC Legal Counsel) was going to handle the appeal/rebuttal to the ruling. He should just about now be getting back from two weeks vacation (bad timing or what).

Bob Gillanders (CFC President) has suspended taxable receipts until we get a better handle on the situation. I'm hoping that Les can advise us we can continue to issue receipts for Olympic donations (at least until the date of the "proposed" annulment), when he returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    Les Bunning (CFC Legal Counsel) was going to handle the appeal/rebuttal to the ruling. He should just about now be getting back from two weeks vacation (bad timing or what).

Bob Gillanders (CFC President) has suspended taxable receipts until we get a better handle on the situation. I'm hoping that Les can advise us we can continue to issue receipts for Olympic donations (at least until the date of the "proposed" annulment), when he returns.
                    So, I gather that the CRA recently ruled that the CFC could not issue charitable receipts? Can you post more details (dates etc?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      So, I gather that the CRA recently ruled that the CFC could not issue charitable receipts? Can you post more details (dates etc?)
                      To the best of my knowledge, the last official word came at the annual meeting. Perhaps Fred has something more recent.

This is from the Annual Meeting (as reported in Governor's Letter #1):

Q. Tax Status
                      Les Bunning gave an oral report. The government (CRA) claims that chess is a game and
                      therefore not a charitable activity. Bunning argues that chess is educational, and therefore is a
                      charitable activity. Bunning tried to prove this for children, and there is lots of supporting
                      material on this subject. Bunning also tried to prove this for adults, but there is no material
                      available.
                      [Recording Secretary's editorial note: a court case extends education to include practice by play in
                      tournaments.]
                      Bunning and Ritchie met with the CRA for an informal hearing; they granted the CFC more time
                      to prepare for a formal hearing. Some progress was reached regarding tax deductible donations
                      for children, but not for adults. CRA requested a final submission. CFC has not heard from CRA
                      in 18 months.

Barron: Hard to pay for adult representatives. Want to help them in this way, when they pay their
                      own way.

Doubleday: Commend Bunning for his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        To the best of my knowledge, the last official word came at the annual meeting. Perhaps Fred has something more recent.

This is from the Annual Meeting (as reported in Governor's Letter #1):

Q. Tax Status
                        Les Bunning gave an oral report. The government (CRA) claims that chess is a game and
                        therefore not a charitable activity. Bunning argues that chess is educational, and therefore is a
                        charitable activity. Bunning tried to prove this for children, and there is lots of supporting
                        material on this subject. Bunning also tried to prove this for adults, but there is no material
                        available.
                        [Recording Secretary's editorial note: a court case extends education to include practice by play in
                        tournaments.]
                        Bunning and Ritchie met with the CRA for an informal hearing; they granted the CFC more time
                        to prepare for a formal hearing. Some progress was reached regarding tax deductible donations
                        for children, but not for adults. CRA requested a final submission. CFC has not heard from CRA
                        in 18 months.

Barron: Hard to pay for adult representatives. Want to help them in this way, when they pay their
                        own way.

Doubleday: Commend Bunning for his work.
                        Thanks Larry... I must have read that when the GL came out, but I guess the info didn't quite 'stick' ... I'll try to keep up.

Comment

It's possible that the information I provided in the previous e-mail was only at the Governor's Board (it's easy to get mixed up).

We received a letter from CRA stating their intention to annul our charitable status. It was their opinion we were incorrectly accepted as a charity in 1973.

The only reason I'm bringing this up in the thread is that Bob G immediately ordered a freeze on taxable receipts until we could get a grip on where we stand.

I think if people are encouraging donations they should be informing that tax receipts are on hold. From the reading I've done on the issue we can still issue tax receipts until such time an annulment occurred, and I think Les will eventually confirm this.

We have 30 days from Aug 26 to issue our response. There is a discrepancy in this date (there is a contradiction in the document) and we might have 90 days. If our appeal was denied they would then set a date for annulment.

We are looking for education case studies to help our cause, especially cases involving adults, as CRA doesn't seem to think education is applicable to those over 21. I am collecting these, in case they can be of use to Les.
                          Last edited by Fred McKim; Thursday, 16th September, 2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

For linking chess with education for adults I think that there may be some studies on chess reducing the onset of Alzheimers as well as being useful to rehabilitate people in prisons. The government is big on new prisons so any study on this may resonate with them. Stijn may have some ideas on the workings of CRA that might help the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                              For linking chess with education for adults I think that there may be some studies on chess reducing the onset of Alzheimers as well as being useful to rehabilitate people in prisons.
                              Surely you mean "delaying" the onset of Alzheimers rather than "reducing". I don't know there is any proof of such a claim in either case.

The link to heredity is not fully understood although the risk factor is said to be greater as a result.

It may be caused by something within the body itself.

It may have to do with environmental factors.

That's the way I understand it, and while it's more prominent and severe in older people the onset may be at any age before it later progresses to the middle and late stages.

Regarding rehabilitation in prisons you do have a point, however, it probably applies more to correspondence chess. I have written the parole board on behalf of a prisoner who was a member and he got parole. I think the rehabilitation part might have had to do with interaction with the population outside the prison. I can't think of a single person who continued with correspondence chess after being released from prison.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X