Chess in the Library in Ottawa: Huge Success with Pre-Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in the Library in Ottawa: Huge Success with Pre-Registration

Last weekend, it was an honour for me to participate at the 2010 Montreal Open. The tournament was simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! However, it was not only for the tournament that I went, but also for Chess in the Library.

In Montreal, I met up with Joey, the high school freshman who made CITL possible outside of our headquarters, Toronto. So where is this place that I speak of? Well, you've seen it before on my blog, just a little mention here and there. However, now I'm announcing this as our official 12th location - OTTAWA!

Ottawa is my lovely hometown where I grew up and spent most of my childhood. It's where I first stepped into the chess community in Canada at the age of 7. I've had so many great memories at Ottawa - RA Centre, my chess friends, the tournaments, the nice people...the list could go on forever.

Joey and I go way back. We first knew each other in grade 1 or 2 but I don't remember the exact year. We used to learn and play chess together along with many of our other chess friends there. Now look at both of us, all grown up and already masters!

So we talked about a lot of CITL related things there during our lunch breaks. He updated me on CITL in Ottawa and how it is officially confirmed! So now the CITL location in Ottawa is also listed on our website www.chessinthelibrary.com:

Ruth E. Dickinson Library
    100 Malvern Dr.
    Ottawa, ON
    K2J 2G5
    613-580-2796
    Open from 1:30pm to 3:00pm on Saturdays, starting on September 18, 2010

Yes, that's right, the grand opening will be held at the Ruth E.Dickinson Library this Saturday! When I was in Montreal, I brought Joey 18 chess sets, a demo board as well as 8 chess books from our storage in Toronto. The main sponsor of the program in Ottawa is Gordon Ritchie, who donated $100 to support the innovation. Thank you Gordon!

Finally, please do take a look at this ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92x1EoAG908. It's an interview that Joey and I did at the Montreal Open with Don from Godesschess. The interview is mainly about Chess in the Library and our milestone in Ottawa. The ending is cut off because we just happened to run out of batteries. :( Sorry!

Last but not least, I got a message from Joey today saying that registration for the program in Ottawa on the Ottawa's libraries website opened yesterday and it was full with many still on the waiting list in the first 5 minutes! That really amazes me because I honestly didn't expect that the program would receive such a huge interest from Ottawa citizens. Great work Joey and I'm looking forward to seeing that blog of yours coming out soon~ ^_^

Please continue to support Chess in the Library! We are making large progresses each week and with this speed of expansion, I honestly forget how many locations we have sometimes. Anyways, if you want to see a better report of this with nice pictures of me and Joey at the Montreal Open, visit my blog at http://yuanlingyuan.blogspot.com/

P.S Another big report will be written tomorrow on our new executive board as well as our projects and plans for the upcoming year.
    Last edited by Yuanling Yuan; Thursday, 16th September, 2010, 08:37 PM.

Re : Chess in the Library in Ottawa: Huge Success with Pre-Registration

Good luck for your new location in Ottawa! I hope it will as popular as it is in Toronto! I might have helped you to introduce this project in Montreal one or two years ago, but sadly I've begun Cegep this year and I definitely have no time at all:( But I wish you the best luck in the future!

Comment

Re: Chess in the Library in Ottawa: Huge Success with Pre-Registration

Felix! Took me a few seconds there to realize who you were! Anyways, thank for responding to my message and of course, I completely understand that Gr12 marks are essential for your future career. Good luck to you in the future and I can definitely see you becoming a master soon too! If you do come across any chess juniors in Quebec who might be interested in this project, please do pass on the info! My team and I will really appreciate it! :)

Comment

Working...
      X