FIDE Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE Elections

Even if with less impact on Canadian chess and in the news, the elections for ECU president brought also peculiar results, as Silvio Danailov won. Does anybody know how do they vote for the ECU President? It appears that the number of votes casted was higher than the number of European countries...
    If Danailov will manage the ECU as he managed Toplav's career (Elistagate, Topalov's relative isolation when it comes to invitations to big events) some form of "Berlin Wall" will start to be erected in chess. Kirsan is already moving his "global chess" deep down in Asian part of Russia, probably due to lack of sponsorship in the rest of Europe.
    Bottom line...not a good day for chess (Karpov -Kasparov alliance was against the nature anyway)

Comment

Russia’s chess grandmaster Anatoly Karpov has been appointed to represent the International Chess Federation (FIDE) in international organizations.

The relevant decision was passed at the 81st FIDE Congress in the oil city of Khanty-Mansiisk in Western Siberia on Saturday.

A report placed on the official Website of the World Chess Olympics, underway in this Siberian city, cites FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov as saying that Anatoly Karpov’s popularity worldwide makes him top choice to represent chess in such organizations as the International Olympic Committee, UNESCO and UNISEF.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2010/10/02/23673075.html
      A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
        Russia’s chess grandmaster Anatoly Karpov has been appointed to represent the International Chess Federation (FIDE) in international organizations.

The relevant decision was passed at the 81st FIDE Congress in the oil city of Khanty-Mansiisk in Western Siberia on Saturday.
        Does this differ from a vice-president position which was offered and I was probably about the only one who thought Karpov would accept? Vice President in charge of International Organizations?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Does this differ from a vice-president position which was offered and I was probably about the only one who thought Karpov would accept? Vice President in charge of International Organizations?
          Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has invited Anatoly Karpov to become FIDE Vice President and accepted his opponent’s suggestion to increase the number of games in World Championship matches. Silvio Danailov not only got elected ECU President, but FIDE Vice President as well. What exactly this job involves even a newly elected Vice President doesn’t know.
          There they were, sitting at the bar, drinking a vodka together. It was like two old friends catching up after not having seen each other for years. “So can you make those matches a bit longer please?” “Well, I guess we can do that. But why don’t you join us and become a Vice President?” “Hm, yeah, sounds good, but I gotta think about that one.”

http://www.chessvibes.com/columns/fi...dly-aftermath/
          A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

There are 3 elected VP positions. I ran for one of these posts and lost. The three successful candidates were from India, Iraq and Lybia. If Danailov was appointed to the Presidential Board that's news to me, but possible. Karpov accepted the post of FIDE Ambassador for Life.

Comment

Correction - I meant Iran for one of the VPs , ((M.J. Kambouzia) not Iraq.

Comment

Working...
              X