FIDE Elections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FIDE Elections

    The CFC Executive has approved the following anouncement:


    Canada Chooses Change

    The Chess Federation of Canada is supporting Anatoly Karpov as the next FIDE President.

    The Chess Federation of Canada wishes to thank the current FIDE administration for its dedication and service. Tangible improvements have been made in the past 4 years. We believe that new leadership will serve to elevate our beloved game even further.

    Hal Bond
    FIDE Delegate, Canada

  • #2
    Re : FIDE Elections

    Wow, a great and a pretty much unexpected choice. Sadly, there's almost no chance for that he wins the elections :( We will be stuck with a FIDE president who believes that he has been kidnapped by aliens....

    Comment


    • #3
      Re : FIDE Elections

      Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      We will be stuck with a FIDE president who believes that he has been kidnapped by aliens....
      The real problem is that they have returned him... :)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re : FIDE Elections

        Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Wow, a great and a pretty much unexpected choice. Sadly, there's almost no chance for that he wins the elections :(
        If the CFC has decided to vote Karpov if must mean that his chances are definitely looking much better than they did... ;)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Re : FIDE Elections

          I think CFC knows Karpov will lose.

          I think it was a vote on " principle ". Kirsan's overall poor record over the last 15 years does not stand up against Karpov's potential, despite the vast majority of federations disagreeing with Canada.

          Bob

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: FIDE Elections

            I have written numerous posts in the past hoping for a proactive and quick decision. I would like to thank Bob Armstrong for having the courtesy to give feedback in this site. No one from the CFC executive have given in this site meaningful information.

            A few months ago, such an annoucement would have attracted media attention. Less than 1 week before the Olympiads and the election, chessplayers are overwhelmed by more spectacular news: change of flight schedule, FIDE bid for the mosque site near ground zero, a killing in Moscow (see below).

            While I wish to communicate my deception on the decision process, I commend the CFC of at least having the decency of communicating its choice.

            ********************
            Michael Golubev on chessvibes:
            On Sep 16 Aslan Usoyan aka. Ded Khasan, known as Russia’s number 1 criminal authority was shot in Moscow, but survived the attack. In the blog of the Echo journalist Varfolomeev, a TVCenter (tvc.ru) journalist Olga Bakushinskaya claims that she on the previous day saw Khasan, entering to the restaurant on Tverskoy B-rd together with Ilyumzhinov.
            http://varfolomeev.livejournal.com/3...8443#t12148443

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: FIDE Elections

              Jean: I think the CFC Executive have committed to talking chess politics on the CFC forum or CFC Governor's forum as appropriate.

              We obviously weren't prepared to make a decision until when we did. There were a lot of other things on our plate. If we were hoping to gain worldly favours from either of the candidates we would have made our decision a lot sooner.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: FIDE Elections

                The incumbent head of the World Chess Federation (FIDE), Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, was reelected as head of the global chess governing body for another four-year term, a FIDE spokesman told journalists on Wednesday.

                http://en.rian.ru/sports/20100929/160767810.html
                A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re : Re: FIDE Elections

                  Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                  The incumbent head of the World Chess Federation (FIDE), Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, was reelected as head of the global chess governing body for another four-year term, a FIDE spokesman told journalists on Wednesday.

                  http://en.rian.ru/sports/20100929/160767810.html
                  An expected disaster but a disaster nonetheless. The next four years could be the worst ever for FIDE considering that Kirsan has this time vowed to be a full-time president...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Re : Re: FIDE Elections

                    From ChessBase article
                    ...Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, made a surprise announcement immediately after the result of the election was known. He suggested that his opponent in this election, Anatoly Karpov, take the post of Vice-President of FIDE. The agency reports that Karpov has said that he needs time to think over the proposal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Re : Re: FIDE Elections

                      He suggested that his opponent in this election, Anatoly Karpov, take the post of Vice-President of FIDE.
                      I think the same was in a previous election: Kok was offered a vice post. He declined :D

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Re : Re: FIDE Elections

                        Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        I think the same was in a previous election: Kok was offered a vice post. He declined :D
                        A vice post is a good place to start if a person wants to be the president in the future. It gives a chance to show what he can do and to build relationships with the nations.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Re : Re: FIDE Elections

                          Originally posted by Vladimir Birarov View Post
                          From ChessBase article
                          If IllusionOf offers Karpov the VP position, where does that leave Beatrice Maranello (the US VP candidate on Kirsan's slate)? I wonder if she has agreed to step aside if Karpov accepts, or perhaps IllusionOf will just create another VP position?

                          In any case, I suspect A.K. will decline ... seems hard to imagine him accepting after all he has said about Kirsan. Still, stranger things have happened and will likely continue to happen.

                          I also wonder what Hal Bond's take on this may be?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: FIDE Elections

                            On the slate there is a Deputy President and already two Vice Presidents. I think there must also be some non-slate Vice Presidents to be elected later, from what Hal said.

                            I assume Kirsan can create whatever new position he wants to......

                            ie, Vice President, Alien countries

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re : Re: Re : Re: FIDE Elections

                              Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              If IllusionOf offers Karpov the VP position, where does that leave Beatrice Maranello (the US VP candidate on Kirsan's slate)? I wonder if she has agreed to step aside if Karpov accepts, or perhaps IllusionOf will just create another VP position?

                              In any case, I suspect A.K. will decline ... seems hard to imagine him accepting after all he has said about Kirsan. Still, stranger things have happened and will likely continue to happen.
                              It would be extremely disappointing to see Karpov accept a job in a corrupted administration that he denounced. It would be falling into a childish trap. He would get no power whatsoever and would only make Kirsan look good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X