• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympad - round 3

Hi Vlad:

You are right !

38 53 CAN Canada 7½ 3 : 3 5½ Thailand THA 94

It is really screwy. In game points, they give us 7.5, on the assumption Thomas drew ( which I don't think he did; I think he won , which would give us 8 game points ).

But even if they think Thomas drew, the final score against Uruguay would be:

Uruguay 1.5 - 2.5 ( Mark winning, and three draws ).

This should get us the 2 match points for a win - but they treat us as having drawn the match ????

The explanation seems to be on the Board Pairings results, where Gerzhoy is shown as losing !!?? ( not drawing as I think he did ), So if Thomas is seen as drawing, and Leonid losing, then the match is a draw. This is not however what the live board results page shows ( it has Thomas winning; Leonid drawing ).

I also note that Uruguay is shown as having 3 match points, as if they drew Canada.

Shaomin, as head of delegation, or Yuri as captain, needs to straighten this out ( maybe Hal could help ).

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 23rd September, 2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Clark View Post
      Hey Ernest,

I realize she's at the site but given the games its pretty hard to believe that we drew the match.
      Online game transmissions are not most trustworthy source too, especially with such huge number.

Comment

Re: Olympad - round 3 - Roussel-Roozmon?? Gerzhoy??

Hi Ernest:

I accept your rebuke as generally being reasonable.

But with these results being recorded wrong often on the live boards score, it's not easy to tell what is going on. You are sort of forced to do your own adjudication to see if you think the score shown makes any sense. Today they had Yuanling losing on the live board score, before they eventually changed it.

Even now: Here is the live board score:

Match 27. Uruguay Canada
        1. Rodriguez Vila, Andres 0-1 Bluvshtein, Mark
        2. Larrea, Manuel 0-1 Roussel-Roozmon, Thomas
        3. Roselli Mailhe, Bernardo ½-½ Gerzhoy, Leonid
        4. Izquierdo, Daniel ½-½ Samsonkin, Artiom

Roussel-Roozmon is shown as winning ( not drawing );
        Gerzhoy is shown as drawing ( not losing )

Here is the Board Pairings Score:

Bo. 74 Uruguay (URU) Rtg - 53 Canada (CAN) Rtg 2 : 2
        27.1 GM Rodriguez Vila Andres 2537 - GM Bluvshtein Mark 2583 0 - 1
        27.2 FM Larrea Manuel 2323 - IM Roussel-Roozmon Thomas 2484 ½ - ½
        27.3 IM Roselli Mailhe Bernardo 2399 - IM Gerzhoy Leonid 2485 1 - 0
        27.4 FM Izquierdo Daniel 2275 - IM Samsonkin Artiom 2409 ½ - ½

Roussel-Roozmon is shown as drawing ( not winning, which I think he did, based on the position )
        Gerzhoy is shown as losing ( not drawing, as I think he did - the position is materially equal, and the pawns symmetrical ).

As a final kicker, here is the pairings page for Rd. 4:

53 CAN Canada 3 : 3 5½ Thailand THA 94

Can you explain to me how we could have 7.5 game points on either of the scenarios the official website pages are using? I say we have 8 game points ( Rd. 1 - 3.5; Rd. 2 - 1.5; Rd. 3 - 3 = 8 game points ). If Thomas drew, and Leonid lost, then we only get 2 game points against Uruguay - but then we'd have only 7 game points ! How in the world do we get 7.5 game points???

So you tell me what is right - and maybe Yuanling got it right, but it doesn't square with my A Class analysis of the closing positions.

Shaomin, as head of delegation, or Yuri as captain, needs to straighten this out ( maybe Hal could help ).

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 23rd September, 2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I didn't realize Uruguay has such a good team this year. They are lucky to finish in the top 100 teams recently.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            I didn't realize Uruguay has such a good team this year. They are lucky to finish in the top 100 teams recently.

Hi Gary,

Kamsky today destroyed a winawer sideline that I play as well against GM Morovic (2580) if you saw. I liked it quite a bit. Although it evens out in a way because Grischuk beat GM Vuckovic(2615) with the winawer yesterday. Vuckovic avoided that main line Qxg7 stuff, must have been weary of preparation there (new improvements?). Other than that I don't remember any others. By the way, any french defence addicts reading this might want to be buy Vitiugov' (2700) book released earlier this year on the french for black. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Uruguay definitely isn't a strong team and hopefully they got the results wrong because we had great positions(board 1+2 clear win) and we simply have to beat teams like Uruguay to finish well. My favorite player is from Uruguay -Diego Forlan, but hes a footballer. Not much chess there when they got nice women,good weather, and are fantastic at futbol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Ernest:

I accept your rebuke as generally being reasonable.

Bob
              Bob, I understand your reason for being perplexed about the score results.
              Nevertheless, you can't say that: "Yuanling was in error. Thomas won - Mark and Thomas won; Leonid and Artiom drew."

She is live witness to the events. And you start rationalize what is show on website which has proven to be incorrect on more than one occasion.

Based on this, whom would you rather trust? Yuanling or some website?
              A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

I was just told by Orlova that it ended in a 2-2 tie, which is extremely surprising to say the least, given the rating differential and the game positions.

Comment

The only way a 2-2 score would make much sense would be if they somehow mislabeled boards 2 and 3 on the Olympiad live game site.

It must be something like 3 or 4 in the morning there now.... so we may get some answers in a few hours at to what was the glitch.

Comment

Hi Eric:

You say 2 -2 against Uruguay in the Open section is " extremely surprising ".

I'm flabbergasted ( I know I am just an A player, and sometimes B, and so I am " weak ", but the final positions to me don't seem to support Thomas drawing and Leonid losing ). But as Ernest said, we now have two members on site ( Yuanling and Liza ) who have said the true result was 2-2 !! I guess they can't both be wrong.

Bob

Comment

Hi Eric:

You say 2 -2 against Uruguay in the Open section is " extremely surprising ".

I'm flabbergasted ( I know I am just an A player, and sometimes B, and so I am " weak ", but the final positions to me don't seem to support Thomas drawing and Leonid losing ). But as Ernest said, we now have two members on site ( Yuanling and Liza ) who have said the true result was 2-2 !! I guess they can't both be wrong.

Bob
                      When all else fails, consider the obvious: the 'live' feed was wrong?
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Possibly.

But have you looked at the final positions? Why isn't Thomas winning? How can Leonid be losing - equal material and symmetrical pawns?

But I'm " weak ". How do stronger players evaluate these 2 positions?

Bob

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Possibly.

But have you looked at the final positions? Why isn't Thomas winning? How can Leonid be losing - equal material and symmetrical pawns?

But I'm " weak ". How do stronger players evaluate these 2 positions?

Bob
                          They must have mixed up boards 2 and 3 in the broadcast.

Comment

Hi Eric,

I've noticed there are players who have problems against the Winawer. Those who can handle the defence seem to do so consistently. Maybe playing the defence comes down to the importance of the game and against whom a person plays it.

We played Uruguay in a correspondence Panam chamionship a number of years ago. Their team was not competitive. They finished 14th out of 15 teams. Not sure what happened in the team event which is just finishing or finished.

Maybe I'll play the next one if I'm invited.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I have now had confirmation from the Olympiad Coordinator, Ilia Bluvshtein, that indeed the Open Section score against Uruguay was 2-2 ( Mark won; Leonid lost; Thomas and Artiom drew ). So Yuanling's post earlier today was correct.

Bob

Comment

Incorrect player names must have been assigned to some of the Canada-Uruguay games that were displayed live. We will have to get confirmation from our players which game score belongs to whom.

We know that there were 2 decisive games and 2 draws. But which gamescore belonged to which game?
                                Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Friday, 24th September, 2010, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X