Walter Kosmin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Kosmin

It is with sadness that I learned tonight that Walter Kosmin has passed away.

Walter was a fixture at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa for as long as I can remember. 1. b4 was practically his signature move, and he taught many players that just because it was unusual did not mean it was bad.

His passing comes as a shock, as he seemed to be quite well. Indeed his recent play this summer showed real strengthening. We will miss him at the club.

If anyone has additional details about his passage, please post them here. Thank you.

Re: Walter Kosmin

I remember Walter well from University of Waterloo days. He was an enthusiastic chess player with a penchant for shouting "peasant!" when his opponents opted for quiet moves. He was also active in theatre at the university. I spent many hours playing chess with Walter in the Student Union Building when we both should have been in classes.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Walter was a true gentleman, not only in chess, but also in life. He was a kind hearted man who played very well for his age and was especially good at blitz.

It came as a shock to me that he passed away because he seemed so healthy and active. No matter, he will be remembered and missed by all his friends.

Comment

Ironically Walter went on a tear just this summer, playing some of the best chess of his career. He shall be missed.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Very sad news; I think that this comes as a real unexpected shock to most people at the RA chess club that knew him.

Comment

Working...
          X