Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad - round 9

National
    8 (17) Czech Republic (21½ 11) : (20 11) Canada (53)
    opponents at chess-results

After well played 5 rounds, the team approached top boards - 8; and being in good mood they may hold Czechs too :D

Women
    23 (58) Canada (18½ 9) : (18½ 9) Montenegro (47)

Re: Olympiad - round 9

To our Men's and Women's Teams:
    Best of Luck in the final rounds !!! You have done a fantastic job. Far beyond what most people expected. Well done. GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!

To GM Bluvshtein: Congratulations on your win over GM Topalov. I had a smile on my face all day yesterday, thank you for that.

Does anybody know the highest that the Canadian teams have ever finished in the Olympics in the past?

Comment

8th in 1976 (but the Eastern bloc was missing), 9th in 1980; there were considerably fewer teams in those days.

http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/can_tea.html

Comment

Early results: win for Iulia; loss for Dina.

Thomas is not playing today against the Czechs.

Comment

The gentlemen are having a hard time - they will be happy to get any points at all.

The ladies will be happy with a (unlikely) 2-2 result.

Comment

Gerzhoy won an interesting game today against a strong opponent. Bluvshtein and Samsonkin both played very sharply in the opening and were ultimately punished.

I was really impressed by the Czech GMs' play in Navara - Bluvshtein and Hracek - Samsonkin. Our guys don't have anything to be ashamed of from these games.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
              Gerzhoy won an interesting game today against a strong opponent. Bluvshtein and Samsonkin both played very sharply in the opening and were ultimately punished.

I was really impressed by the Czech GMs' play in Navara - Bluvshtein and Hracek - Samsonkin. Our guys don't have anything to be ashamed of from these games.
              Indeed. I haven't had a chance to play over those games from Rd.9 but I agree 100% with your statement: everyone on both teams deserves our respect and thanks for an outstanding job (that is hardly finished...) I doubt very much too many teams might consider our teams anything near a cake walk!
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I think K.S. has some problems defending his statement that Canada this year was sending " third-rate teams " ( correct me if I haven't quite quoted him accurately ).

Open Section

............Initial............................... .....................................Initial
                Rd.......Ranking ........Country..........Score .........Country..........Ranking

1...........53.......... Canada........2 – 0 ( 4 - 0 ).....Mozambique.....127
                2...........33......... Uzbekistan.. ..2 - 0 ( 2.5 - 1.5 )...Canada... .....53
                3...........74...........Uruguay.......1 - 1 ( 2 - 2 )........Canada.........53
                4...........56...........Canada........2 - 0 ( 3.5 - .5 )....Thailand........94
                5...........56 ..........Canada........2 – 0 ( 2.5 – 1.5 )...Denmark.......44
                6...........28...........Croatia.........1 - 1 ( 2 - 2 )........Canada.........53
                7,..........53...........Canada.........1 - 1 ( 2 - 2 )........Bulgaria..........8
                8...........66...........Mongolia.......0 - 2 ( 1.5 - 2.5 )....Canada.........53
                9...........17.......Czech Republic...2 - 0 ( 3 - 1 )........Canada...... ...53

Canada’s Total : 11 match points; 21 game points.

Women’s Section

1...........58...........Canada........2 - 0 ( 3.5 - .5 )...Uganda.........113
                2...........58...........Canada.........0 - 2 (1.5 - 2.5 )..Kazakhstan,,,,.37
                3...........67...........Albania..........0 - 2 ( 0 - 4 ) .....Canada..........58
                4...........22............Latvia......... 2 - 0 ( 3.5 -.5 )....Canada .........58
                5...........58............Canada........2 – 0 ( 4 – 0 ).......Syria.............87
                6...........34............Belarus........0 - 2 ( 3.5 - .5 )....Canada..........58
                7...........58............Canada........1 - 1 ( 2 - 2 ).......Singapore.......64
                8...........45............Norway........0 - 2 ( 1.5 - 2.5 )..Canada..........58
                9...........58............Canada........1 - 1 ( 2 - 2 )........Montenegro....47

Canada’s Total: 10 match points; 20.5 game points.

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 30th September, 2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Bob,

There's a delightful word, "Chutzpah".

One example would be heckling a guy with a microphone and a worldwide audience.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Hi Bob,

There's a delightful word, "Chutzpah".

One example would be heckling a guy with a microphone and a worldwide audience.
                    Who exactly has the Chutzpah? The guy with the microphone or the heckler?
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Kevin never bothers defending anything he says (or admitting making an inaccurate comment), Bob. We all know that by now

He just keeps his big fire hose attached to a local mud puddle :)
                      Last edited by Fred McKim; Thursday, 30th September, 2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Who exactly has the Chutzpah? The guy with the microphone or the heckler?
                        The guy doing the heckling. He has no way of responding "in kind" to the ribbing which could follow.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Kevin never bothers defending anything (or admitting making an inaccurate comment), Bob. We all know that by now

He just keeps his big fire hose attached to a local mud puddle :)
                          The last time I looked the event is 11 rounds. The last two rounds is where the teams with character and talent make their move. Will Canada be one of them? I hope so.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I think we probably needed a tie today to try and break into the Top 20. If we win our last two matches I'd say we'll be about Top 25.

I think Ukraine will win their last two matches and take 1st.

Comment

Hi Gary:

I've already been skewered a few times ( unreasonably in my humble opinion ) by K.S,, with no ability to respond, so I guess one more time won't matter much.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X