Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympiad - round 9

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    The last time I looked the event is 11 rounds. The last two rounds is where the teams with character and talent make their move. Will Canada be one of them? I hope so.
    This is bs. Unless you are a strong medal contendor, how you perform at the event is far more important then a few placements in the final standing. Olympiad should be about consistancy, occasional excellence/brilliance, and building something moving forward, particularily with young teams.

The large swiss has a gigantic middle and final placement has as much to do with where the swiss yoyo puts you then character and talent. Canada has already shown plenty of character it really doesn't matter how they finish they've had a significant presence at the event.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      This is bs. Unless you are a strong medal contendor, how you perform at the event is far more important then a few placements in the final standing.
      All fish make that claim.

It's about the placements, stupid. Always was and always will be.
      Nobody cares if you're a good loser. Lots of them around.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It's about the placements, stupid. Always was and always will be.
        :D
        Gold, silver, bronze; and in most cases only winners are remembered. All other places are just local (time/space) statistics.

Does your support for Canadian teams depend on places they took last (previous) Olympiad(s)?
        27, 34, 38, 33, 29 - results for last 5 Olympiads. More at http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/can_tea.html

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Gold, silver, bronze; and in most cases only winners are remembered. All other places are just local (time/space) statistics.

Does your support for Canadian teams depend on places they took last (previous) Olympiad(s)?
          27, 34, 38, 33, 29 - results for last 5 Olympiads.
          I only donate to the CCCA for chess, if you are referring to financial support.

The CCCA made a 3rd place for Canada. Jean has an Olympic Bronze from that so he can tell you how such a medal tastes. Actually, several players who write here played on that team. These days we don't finish so high but we will rise again. When a nation has done it once they know they can do it again.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
            Best of Luck in the final rounds !!! You have done a fantastic job. Far beyond what most people expected.
            Really? They are seeded 53rd. They currently sit in 46th place. They have the second worst tiebreaks of any team on 11 match points, so they haven't faced some incredible lineup of monster teams. Of the 5 members of the team, two have higher performance ratings than their current rating, and 3 are lower.

They are having a fine Olympiad and are slightly exceeding their seeding, and they have two highlights (TRR's GM norm and Bluvshtein's win over Topalov). Saying they are "far beyond" what was expected is an exaggeration.

(No comment on women's team as I have paid zero attention to it. I can watch 2100 level and lower players in my own games if I want to)

Comment

These days we don't finish so high but we will rise again.
              Whats the highest rated player in Canada under the age of 30? What is the average age of the current team?

(I'm actually curious - my impression has been that correspondence chess is dying and I'm curious to know if that's true based on facts rather than your opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                Whats the highest rated player in Canada under the age of 30? What is the average age of the current team?

(I'm actually curious - my impression has been that correspondence chess is dying and I'm curious to know if that's true based on facts rather than your opinion)
                I don't know. I haven't seen the membership list in decades. When I was doing memberships, I didn't keep track of age. The exception was if someone wanted a junior or senior membership rate.

There never were many juniors, if that's what you want to know. Games by mail lasted years.

Of course, correspondence chess in Canada was dying in the 70's. I got the membership up to around 700, which was a double from where it had been and kept it there. Not bad when you consider the over the board CFC is under 2,000 these days. Actually, my impresssion is that over the board chess in Canada is dying. I'm actually curious if it's from natural causes or from management errors.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Olympiad - round 9

Actually, my impresssion is that over the board chess in Canada is dying. I'm actually curious if it's from natural causes or from management errors.
                  Rumours of death of chess in Canada would be a gross exageration but in chronically bad health due to malnourishment and insufficient care, third world caracteristics, would be closer to reality.

Comment

Working...
                  X