How to Reassess Your Chess - 4th Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Reassess Your Chess - 4th Edition

After lengthy delays, it appears this book is almost ready. The Siles Press website has a release date, Oct. 15, and a cover image.

They are making the claim that the book has been completely rewritten.

I would expect CMA to carry it.

http://www.silmanjamespress.com/shop...&idcategory=68

Re: How to Reassess Your Chess - 4th Edition

Every time this book got delayed, I grew increasingly frustrated. I'm glad to see it is finally coming out(unless it gets delayed again of course).
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

good news... my 3rd edition is falling apart :)

Comment

Hopefully the delay wasn't due to the cover image not being done, because it's not all that impressive really... :p
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I don't get it, why does he keep releasing new editions, it's not like his principles changed in the last 5 years or so... A weak square is still a weak square no matter how you dice it. Maybe he put in new examples?
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
            I don't get it, why does he keep releasing new editions, it's not like his principles changed in the last 5 years or so... A weak square is still a weak square no matter how you dice it. Maybe he put in new examples?
            IM Silman is a bit of a perfectionist, he is always trying to make this book as good as it can be. Even though his 3rd edition was extremely successful and considered a fantastic book by many, he wasn't happy with it.

According to IM Silman this is a complete remake filled with new examples, new explanations, etc...!

I really enjoyed the 3rd edition and it helped me gain several hundred rating points in a very short amount of time. I can't wait for the 4th edition.

Comment

I read through the 2nd edition - didn't even play over any examples - and it was enough to get me an 1800 performance in an active event after 5 years of almost no chess. So yes, I frequently recommend this book to others.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

It is quite fascinating how many people this book has helped, and just how much it has helped them! My example is when my 2nd son was born, well for the next couple of years, there was just no time for real chess study, so I would just read the book, without a chessboard, mostly the explanatory text, and my rating jumped at least 200 points from 1600 to 1800 in very little time, and peaked over 2000 not long after that. There were other reasons at play, but I would recommend this book very strongly to players between 1400 and 1800. If anyone disagrees with this rating range, feel free.

Comment

Coincidentally, I saw the 1st edition (1987) in a used bookstore today, and was it ever thin!

For the 4th edition, wouldn't "How to Re-Re-Re-Reassess Your Chess" be a better title? No, it would sound like stuttering.

Comment

Next Silman needs to write "How to Reassess Your Chess Book". He's obviously an expert on the topic now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                      IM Silman is a bit of a perfectionist, he is always trying to make this book as good as it can be. Even though his 3rd edition was extremely successful and considered a fantastic book by many, he wasn't happy with it.

According to IM Silman this is a complete remake filled with new examples, new explanations, etc...!

I really enjoyed the 3rd edition and it helped me gain several hundred rating points in a very short amount of time. I can't wait for the 4th edition.
                      LMAO at your avatar... I saw magnetic car attachments in that form for sale at the checkout counter at a bookstore in Austin Tx, in the late 90's and have regretted not buying one ever since!
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        LMAO at your avatar... I saw magnetic car attachments in that form for sale at the checkout counter at a bookstore in Austin Tx, in the late 90's and have regretted not buying one ever since!
                        Well I was trying to find an avatar of the new book I'm reading "the Greatest Show on Earth, the evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins.

But I wasn't having much success so instead I found a Darwin fish...
                        Wait they have Darwin fish in Texas? I'd expect them to have the ones of the Jesus fish eating the Darwin fish.

Comment

You can always get one of these

http://www.rof.com/Flying-Spaghetti-...blem_p_27.html

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
                            After lengthy delays, it appears this book is almost ready. The Siles Press website has a release date, Oct. 15, and a cover image.

They are making the claim that the book has been completely rewritten.

I would expect CMA to carry it. ...
                            Perhaps this (i.e. a publishing deadline) explains why his website hasn't been updated since July.
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                              Who could resist one of those?? R'amen

Comment

Working...
                              X