Shirov - Carlson
    This is today's matchup. Watch the games live on
    ChessBomb >>>>>>http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/

Re: Super GMs at Bilbao, Spain

For a recap of the first two rounds see Susan Polgar's blog
    here>>>>http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can never make the Chessdom site work... all I get is a message "loading" on a mostly black screen. Maybe my pop-up killer is working too hard.

Comment

Carlsen's collapse

Carlsen's fall has been as rapid as his climb. He has fallen below 2800 after his loss to Anand, who currently occupies the #1 spot.

I spoke with his father Henrik in Khanty. Magnus is paying the price for his major sponsors who have been occupying his time. Henrik suggested tha Magnus has been trying too hard to win and is a bit rusty. It will be interesting to see where he stands after Bilbao and Nanjing.

Comment

Shirov has made their game today more than entertaining. Talk about "fire on board". At this point, however, it looks like a draw with Shirov's queen against Carlsen's three poorly coordinated minor pieces.

Comment

Re: Carlsen's collapse

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            Carlsen's fall has been as rapid as his climb. He has fallen below 2800 after his loss to Anand, who currently occupies the #1 spot.

I spoke with his father Henrik in Khanty. Magnus is paying the price for his major sponsors who have been occupying his time. Henrik suggested tha Magnus has been trying too hard to win and is a bit rusty. It will be interesting to see where he stands after Bilbao and Nanjing.
            I asked my friend in Norway, a CC GM, what happened with the play of Magnus. Did he not like Siberia?

My friend speculated possibly the problem was he had a hard time concentrating with all the beautiful women around. I'd simply accepted this and the comments of the parent is interesting.

Maybe I'll get my guitar and write a song.

I left my rating points
            In Siberia
            Inside the toilet
            Where I was sick

The rest will come to me after I get the guitar.

Personally, I think every chess player should bring a Yo-Yo to a chess tournament. It helps to relax between moves. My Yo-Yo sits in front of my monitor.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              Shirov has made their game today more than entertaining. Talk about "fire on board". At this point, however, it looks like a draw with Shirov's queen against Carlsen's three poorly coordinated minor pieces.
              Hi Gordon,

I think any winning chances lie with Carlsen. Can't see a plan offhand, though.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Shirov-Carlsen just passed 150 moves, Carlsen has NBB+1 against Q+1. Shirov is under 3 minutes, is Carlsen hoping for a blunder? The time control has 10 seconds added each move.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                  Shirov-Carlsen just passed 150 moves, Carlsen has NBB+1 against Q+1. Shirov is under 3 minutes, is Carlsen hoping for a blunder? The time control has 10 seconds added each move.
                  I watched that ending. It was interesting. Often endings like that do end on a bad plan by the player defending.

I thought Shirov might have made a mistake at around the 25th move when he played Nc4 instead of Bc4.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Super GMs at Bilbao, Spain

It's funny how Shirov gave his queen after 50 moves without capture... One more move and Carlsen would have took it, but it was draw :D

Comment

Whew!Draw w/ Q and P vs B and B and N and P, Carlsen presses until move 176, but Shirov does not crack.

Comment

A GM told me a year or two ago that Magnus is spending substantial time at poker...in chess terms...he would have been around 2000 strength at that time...but that is all heresay :)

Comment

Do you mean "hearsay" or perhaps "heresy"???

Comment

Working...
                          X