Has Nakamura been beating a program at bullet chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Nakamura been beating a program at bullet chess?

I recently heard a rumour that GM Nakamura has been beating a playing program online at bullet (1 minute) chess. Can someone confirm if this is true?

Apparently his technique involved closing the position & using positional Exchange sacs.

There may be hope for humanity after all!
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 17th October, 2010, 08:26 PM.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Has Nakamura been beating a program at bullet chess?

While I'm not sure of any grudge match between Naka and computers, there is at least one game:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1497429

He exploits a sort of "personality" flaw in the program--- the so called "distain" factor.
    The program will not offer or accept draws, even in dead positions, and will even make its own position worse to avoid repetition and fifty move rule. It more taunting the programmers then actually beating the computer.

Comment

Sorry, linked to the wrong game:
      http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1497429

Edit:
      Actually it was the right game, and I just had too many windows open at once and confused myself:
      Last edited by Stuart Brammall; Sunday, 17th October, 2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I recall seeing a slow time control game in which Kramnik, as White, obtained the upper hand against a computer in a Catalan, by allowing the program to either exchange to a dull/drawish position or obtain the bishop pair, in a way that Kramnik knew was (deceptively) worse for the computer. The program took the B pair. Unfortunately Kramnik failed to win, allowing an eventual draw by missing a good continuation later. Sort of similar in a way to the Rybka-Nakamura affair you linked to. Maybe computers or their programmers have the human defect of pride :).
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 17th October, 2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

It's true Kevin, if you watch Icc sometimes when Naka is playing comps, he'll actually flag them... I don't know how he moves faster than them in 1 minute but ya... it happens sometimes lol
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

More of that rumour came back to me now...apparently on (at least some)servers you can pre-load your moves to save time, at least in bullet chess, if you think you can anticipate the opponent's move...but this may be a rumour within a rumour :)...I haven't played on a server in ages. It's not the same atmosphere as otb; can't go to the bar with other players after a game :).

Comment

Working...
            X