2010 World Youth Chess Championship starts Wednesday Oct 20th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 World Youth Chess Championship starts Wednesday Oct 20th

Offical result for round 6 is not out yet, but we do have some some good new from Victoria Jung-Doknjas on http://wycc2010.blogspot.com/. Jason Cao has 5.5/6 point and is undefeated after 6 rounds, and some others won both 5 & 6 rounds.

Comment

Jason might wind up with a ~2200 FIDE rating - while his CFC rating stays at 1560.

Haven't seen the crosstable for rd. 6 yet but he might be tied for 1st depending on the result of the top board in rd. 6

[Update: he is tied for 1st - playing on board 1 next round.]
      Last edited by Roger Patterson; Sunday, 24th October, 2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I dunno if he can get that high Roger, U10 boys should have fairly low fide ratings and his first rating will be largely based on average rating of his opponent rather than his performance
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          Jason might wind up with a ~2200 FIDE rating - while his CFC rating stays at 1560.

Haven't seen the crosstable for rd. 6 yet but he might be tied for 1st depending on the result of the top board in rd. 6

[Update: he is tied for 1st - playing on board 1 next round.]
          A win in round 7 would definitely give Jason a FIDE performance of over 2200!
          Thus far:

Round Opponent Fed Rating Score Perf Rating
          1...Leonid Maltsev Ukr 1869 1/2 1869
          2...D.T. Carstens Bra 1838 1 2238
          3...V. Kazakovsky Blr 1750 1 2150
          4...A. Gholami IrI 1902 1 2302
          5...M.I. Lopez Esp 1774 1 2174
          6...V. Carnicelli Ita 1880 1 2280

Average Performance rating ..............2169

7...Sam Sevian USA 2105 ? ??

Comment

Oh true Vlad, I didn't know kids under 10 had such high fide ratings! wow, pretty impressive
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Hi guys,

Fide ratings don't work like that. It doesn't go by performance rating the way you did it. Really, average rating dictates everything. It actually goes by something called "Rating Performance". You can check the fide calculator to try. You could be a GM/IM level player, score 10/11 against like 2000 avg rating, and would wind up with a crappy rating of 2013. Given his average opponent rating, he will most likely wind up with a 1900ish rating. I think it's like that because some people would be overrated and be able to manipulate the system if the initial ratings came out by performance rating.
              Last edited by Eric Hansen; Monday, 25th October, 2010, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                Oh true Vlad, I didn't know kids under 10 had such high fide ratings! wow, pretty impressive
                that's OK... I didn't know kids with 1900 ratings could have FM titles! (5 of them do in the section)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                  Fide ratings don't work like that. It doesn't go by performance rating the way you did it.
                  Isn't one's initial rating based on the performance over the rated games played in the FIDE system?

BTW he is at 1909 at the Victora Chess Club's rating system currently, actually a few points below the 1912 he reached in the Olympic fundraiser in September.

His peak performance was 2241, achieved at the same tournament.

Maybe I should refuse to play him anymore so I can respond to the mention of his name when he is a GM with "oh yeah him, I beat him the last time we played a tournament game". :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    Isn't one's initial rating based on the performance over the rated games played in the FIDE system?

BTW he is at 1909 at the Victora Chess Club's rating system currently, actually a few points below the 1912 he reached in the Olympic fundraiser in September.

His peak performance was 2241, achieved at the same tournament.

Maybe I should refuse to play him anymore so I can respond to the mention of his name when he is a GM with "oh yeah him, I beat him the last time we played a tournament game". :-)
                    Why wait til he's a GM? Looks like a feather in your cap already despite his age:)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Why wait til he's a GM? Looks like a feather in your cap already despite his age:)
                      Despite my age, you mean. Well, he was better pretty well throughout and I won the ugly way, on time, and it was only a fifteen minute game. But it was in an actual tournament. But I don't think I'll mention those things.

Still, over three tournaments totaling 8 games my performace rating was around 2093. Not bad for a fat old senior citizen in so-so health. My theory is that its my extreme and ever increasing ugliness that is mainly responsible, however.

Comment

The blog http://wycc2010.blogspot.com/ has Jason as winning round 7.

Comment

Way to go kids. Go Canada Go. ;)

[Update] Offical result is out http://www.chess-results.com/

In Round 8, Jason Cao will be on board 1, Jackie Peng board 3 (live), Kelly Wang board 6.
                          Last edited by Michael Lo; Tuesday, 26th October, 2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Jason did indeed win in round 7, and has 6.5 out of 7.

Canadian standings:
                            Cao Jason 6,5 Boys U10
                            Peng Jackie 5,5 Girls U12
                            Wang Kelly 5,0 Girls U10

Sapozhnikov Roman4,5 Boys U16
                            Bellissimo Joseph F 4,0 Boys U10
                            Birarov Nicole 4,0 Girls U08
                            Botez Andrea 4,0 Girls U08
                            Doknjas Joshua 4,0 Boys U08

Bai Minya 3,5 Girls U10
                            Kalaydina Veronicka 3,5 Girls U14
                            Song Terry 3,5 Boys U12
                            Xiong Jerry 3,5 Boys U16

Doknjas John 3,0 Boys U12
                            Peng Janet 3,0 Girls U10
                            Song Edward 3,0 Boys U12
                            Zhang Yuanchen 3,0 Boys U10

Botez Alexandra 2,5 Girls U16
                            Giblon Rebecca 2,5 Girls U14
                            Itkin David 2,5 Boys U14
                            Sohal Tanraj 2,5 Boys U14

Giblon Melissa 2,0 Girls U12
                            Plotkin Mark 2,0 Boys U12
                            Yang Marguerite 2,0 Girls U18

Comment

U10 Jason Cao's Performance Rating is 2297 after Round 7

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Lo View Post
                                U10 Jason Cao's Performance Rating is 2297 after Round 7
                                Wow. That is very impressive - not exactly an "easy" tournament either. I wish him (and all the Canadian kids) best of luck and congratulations on a great effort.
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X