Celebrating Victoria Park CI's 50th Anniversary with the 2010 Winter Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating Victoria Park CI's 50th Anniversary with the 2010 Winter Open

This year, Victoria Park CI (my current high school) is officially 50 years old! We will be running a chess tournament to celebrate the anniversary as well as to fundraise for our school's chess team.

When: Saturday, December 4th, 2010 from 9am – 6pm

Where: Victoria Park C.I. (15 Wallingford Road, North York, ON) Getting there:Bing Map

Sections: Open, U1700 divided by CFC Rating, CFC rated;

For Students Only: >900, U900, U600 divided by CMA rating, CMA rated.

Style: 4 Rounds Swiss in CFC Sections; 5 Rounds Swiss in Student Sections

Event Schedule:

8:30 am – 9:00 am Registration

CFC Sections Rounds: 9:30am; 11:35am; 1:40pm; 3:45pm;

CMA Sections Rounds: 10:00am; 11:15am; 1:30pm; 2:45pm; 4:00pm;

5:20 pm – 5:45 pm Closing Ceremony

Time Control: CFC Sections – SD/60; CMA Sections – SD/30

Entry Fee:

CFC Sections: $45 before Nov 26, 2010 by cheque, $43 before Nov 26, 2010 by Paypal

CMA Sections: $28 before Nov 26, 2010 by cheque, $26 before Nov 26,2010 by Paypal

A $10 late fee will be charged after Nov 26, 2010 for all sections.

Only cash will be accepted for payments on-site.

Registrations
    by e-mail to: vpchess@yahoo.com or Online Here

Bye Requests: Only Rounds 1-3(CFC Sections) or 1-4(CMA Sections)

Payment:

Cheques in advance by mail to: Yuanling Yuan - 83 Maxome Avenue, Toronto, ON, M2M3K2

or

Paypal online here

Info: Ellen Quejada vpchess@yahoo.com

Organizer: Victoria Park C.I. Chess Club

Please bring chess sets and clocks.

Prizes
    Open: $300-$150-$80
    U1700 CFC: $200-$100-$50
    Some really nice trophies and metals will be given out to the winners of the CMA sections! :)

Please check our website http://chesstournamentintoronto.webs.com/ for more details.

We ran a similar tournament at our school last year and it turned out quite successful with about 55 participants. This year we're hoping to do much better! A pre-registration list will be coming out sometime next week or so. For the Open section, we've already got a few masters confirmed, including an International Master (can't wait to see who it is, eh?) :p

I hope that you all can support me and my school by coming out to play some chess on Dec 4th! See you all there~ :D

Thanks for your support! Really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Yuanling Yuan; Wednesday, 3rd November, 2010, 06:27 AM.

Re: Celebrating Victoria Park CI's 50th Anniversary with the 2010 Winter Open

PLEASE! When posting announcements, give the full address of the site (and possibly directions on how to get there). I assume it's somewhere in Toronto - but where?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      PLEASE! When posting announcements, give the full address of the site (and possibly directions on how to get there). I assume it's somewhere in Toronto - but where?
      Their website says: Where: Victoria Park C.I. (15 Wallingford Road, North York, ON)

Comment

But why post all the tournament details without the address (or even the city - that should have been mentioned in the title of the post)? Simply the link could have been posted - saving a screenful of pixels.

Comment

I think you're being a bit nitpicky.The website's pretty well organized and Yuanling may have just forgotten, cut her some slack.
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Hugh,

Sorry for causing you so much trouble. Excuse my careless errors. I've edited the original post and the title as you suggested.

Yuanling

Comment

Thanks for the corrections you made - I apologize for my "nit-picking".

Comment

First Chess Tournament

My first chess tournament was at Victoria Park. The North York High School Chess Championships were held there when I was in grade 10. I believe that the teacher Andrew Pressburger had started the chess club. I think that Victoria Park won one or two Ontario High School Chess Team Championships in the late 1960's. Their top player was Peter Matsi who finished with an even score in the first Canadian Junior closed that was won by Leon Piasetski. The last I heard Peter was living in BC.
                A while back I found some old score sheets from that tournament. My english notation was just horrible as I had only started to play chess a few months earlier. There was a game against a student from the Junior High nearby (Milneford or something like that) listed at D. Hill. Yep, I belive that is the singer/song writer Dan Hill who was a member of the chess club a bit latter. The game looked horrible and at some point it appears that I started to throw pieces at his King and then I resigned.
                My Dad picked me up after my last game (3-3 score) and I asked him who had won. It turned out to be Mohan Rajagopal, soon to be a highly ranked junior in those days. I told my Dad that I was going to win the tournament the next year.... well it took a bit longer, until grade 13 after winning a playoff match with Anthony Cheron. Those were the good old days when before the Ficher era the North York tournament was drawing over 170 entries for grade 9 - 13.

Comment

Re: First Chess Tournament

Originally posted by David MacLeod View Post
                  My first chess tournament was at Victoria Park. The North York High School Chess Championships were held there when I was in grade 10. I believe that the teacher Andrew Pressburger had started the chess club. I think that Victoria Park won one or two Ontario High School Chess Team Championships in the late 1960's. Their top player was Peter Matsi who finished with an even score in the first Canadian Junior closed that was won by Leon Piasetski. The last I heard Peter was living in BC.
                  A while back I found some old score sheets from that tournament. My english notation was just horrible as I had only started to play chess a few months earlier. There was a game against a student from the Junior High nearby (Milneford or something like that) listed at D. Hill. Yep, I belive that is the singer/song writer Dan Hill who was a member of the chess club a bit latter. The game looked horrible and at some point it appears that I started to throw pieces at his King and then I resigned.
                  My Dad picked me up after my last game (3-3 score) and I asked him who had won. It turned out to be Mohan Rajagopal, soon to be a highly ranked junior in those days. I told my Dad that I was going to win the tournament the next year.... well it took a bit longer, until grade 13 after winning a playoff match with Anthony Cheron. Those were the good old days when before the Ficher era the North York tournament was drawing over 170 entries for grade 9 - 13.
                  Yes, Mr. Andrew Pressburger was the teacher liason for Vic Park CI chess club - I hope he is still with us! I seem to recall he was active in correspondence chess; perhaps he reads ChessTalk?! Mohan Rajagopal lives in Ottawa (last I heard) but no longer plays chess in tournaments or clubs - as far as I recall.

I was a student at Midland Collegiate in the 1964-1968 range and recall many occasions when Mr. Pressburger arranged team matches or other tournaments. A fine gentleman indeed.

Yuan Ling: it may be worth asking the school office to contact him and invite him to the celebrations!
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Andrew Pressburger has a rating listed in the last issue of "CHECK!" the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association's magazine. Their executive would have his address. (see web site)
                    Midland had a match against my school Georges Vanier in the spring of my grade 10 year. Midland won 6 - 0. I found out about the match two weeks after it had happened?! What can I say, discrimination against grade 10 students!!! My nose was put out in one serious way. Didn't John Angerman also go to Midland in those days? I remember him playing in a Toronto Closed Reserves and he made up Causius Clay lines for all of his opponents.
                    Its a shroud for MacLeod, he'll make a patsi out of Matsi, read a sermon for Jurman, etc.

Comment

Andrew Pressburger has a rating listed in the last issue of "CHECK!" the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association's magazine. Their executive would have his address. (see web site)
                      Midland had a match against my school Georges Vanier in the spring of my grade 10 year. Midland won 6 - 0. I found out about the match two weeks after it had happened?! What can I say, discrimination against grade 10 students!!! My nose was put out in one serious way. Didn't John Angerman also go to Midland in those days? I remember him playing in a Toronto Closed Reserves and he made up Causius Clay lines for all of his opponents.
                      Its a shroud for MacLeod, he'll make a patsi out of Matsi, read a sermon for Jurman, etc.
                      Yes, John Angermann did go to Midland too - he lives in Milton now; he and I get together occasionally with some old friends (Peter McSherry, David Broughton, Bob Bowerman and until he passed, Don Heeney) and have some burgers, pops and some usually horrific speed chess games.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Mentioning these posts to Mr. Pressburger, he asked me to post....

I noticed several players were asking about contacting me. Yuan has already
                        got the info from Pino Verde, but since you are a poster on Chess Talk,
                        please feel free to release my e-mail address to Dave MacLeod, Kerry Liles
                        and Yuan if they are asking for it at the club or on the web page.

andpress@sympatico.ca

Naturally, I plan to attend the event, though not planning to play in it. I
                        have not played OTB for ages, plus I don't want to incur any unnecessary
                        stress on my tricky ticker.

Thanks.
                        Andrew

Comment

Re: First Chess Tournament

Hi David,

Thanks for the wonderful information you provided! Perfect for us to use for this event as we look back at Victoria Park's chess history.

You mentioned that the North York tournament had over 170 players. Do you remember which year it took place?

Also, if you have other historical info about chess at Victoria Park, please do share them with me! If you have the time, I hope to see you at the 2010 Winter Open! :)

Comment

I actually came across some of my old high school games and if the headings on the score sheets are to be believed; the second North York High School Chess Championship was held at Don Mills Collegiate, not Victoria Park. The next two were held at either Newtonbrook, Northview or Victoria Park. The fifth was held at Georges Vanier (my high school). I think the 6th was held at George Henry and won by Peter Nurmi, but it might have been an underdog. I think that Jonathan Schaefer won the last one and got to keep the large trophy

Comment

Working...
                            X