GM coach for Jason Cao!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM coach for Jason Cao!

The CFC has commited $5,000 to coaching expenses for Jason Cao. This will include a travel budget to the next Canadian Open where the GM coach will be retained.

Just kidding. The CFC would never do something that original. Too bad!:( Oh well, kid, you're on your own. Best wishes from all the CFC governors.:)

Re: GM coach for Jason Cao!

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    The CFC has commited $5,000 to coaching expenses for Jason Cao. This will include a travel budget to the next Canadian Open where the GM coach will be retained.

Just kidding. The CFC would never do something that original. Too bad!:( Oh well, kid, you're on your own. Best wishes from all the CFC governors.:)
    I suppose this was most likely tongue-in-cheek, but even if that is the case, I don't see why the CFC should support one promising junior instead of, or in addition to, doing what they are mandated to do: supporting chess in Canada.

The CMA already has a sensible sponsorship program in place to (I think) reward players who achieve certain norms (not sure about FM, but likely IM or GM) and I think the CFC might be wise to consider doing something similar.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

The CMA already has a sensible sponsorship program in place to (I think) reward players who achieve certain norms (not sure about FM, but likely IM or GM) and I think the CFC might be wise to consider doing something similar.
      Hi Kerry,

We discontinued this program a few years ago but we hope to reinstate it in the future.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Hi Kerry,

We discontinued this program a few years ago but we hope to reinstate it in the future.

Larry
        Oops! Thanks for the clarification... maybe the CFC can take advantage of this situation and institute their OWN program! lol

Comment

Kerry, when we get your bequest for the Pugi Fund we will be able to double the funding that the Pugi Fund now provides to promising juniors. I think you could even specify that the funding goes to Jason. He's only 9 so I expect he will outlive you. Cheers, Paul
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

There is no a direct link starting at www.chess.ca, but the webpage with guidelines and a list of awarded players is at http://www.chess.ca/pugi.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              Kerry, when we get your bequest for the Pugi Fund we will be able to double the funding that the Pugi Fund now provides to promising juniors. I think you could even specify that the funding goes to Jason. He's only 9 so I expect he will outlive you. Cheers, Paul
              Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Kerry, when we get your bequest for the Pugi Fund we will be able to double the funding that the Pugi Fund now provides to promising juniors.
                When I win the big prize in the lottery on Wednesday night I'll be sure to help top it up. It's a sure thing, after all a computer picked my numbers. :-)

Comment

He's only 9 so I expect he will outlive you. Cheers, Paul
                  That doesn't go by age.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    When I win the big prize in the lottery on Wednesday night I'll be sure to help top it up. It's a sure thing, after all a computer picked my numbers. :-)
                    I don't normally play the lottery. I do, however, like penny stocks and have a large number in the paper company in your area. It's already doubled for me and I'm hoping for a 10 bagger or more.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I buy lottery tickets once in a while for two reasons. 1. At least some of the 649 fund goes to charities. 2. I find daydreaming about what I would do with a whole lot of money entertaining, and find that buying a ticket once in a while makes it easier to entertain myself daydreaming about it, and that's worth two bucks to me. And of course I'm not close enough to the ragged edge to make it significantly more likely that I will starve as a result.
                      Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Wednesday, 3rd November, 2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Keeping off-topic, I used to bet with a friend that NONE of his 6/49 numbers would be chosen. I won more often than I lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          Keeping off-topic, I used to bet with a friend that NONE of his 6/49 numbers would be chosen. I won more often than I lost.
                          That sounds about right. I bet if you calculated the odds of getting no numbers it would come out to more than fifty percent. Objectively, 649 is a lousy bet. My reasons for occasionally buying one, however, are not based on objective considerations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                            daydreaming about what I would do with a whole lot of money entertaining
                            E.M. wrote a whole webpage about that including chess :D
                            http://webhome.idirect.com/~jerik/lottery.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              I suppose this was most likely tongue-in-cheek, but even if that is the case, I don't see why the CFC should support one promising junior instead of, or in addition to, doing what they are mandated to do: supporting chess in Canada.

What the CFC does is create an expensive qualification process for WYCC; one that apparently can provide zero funding on the way to being world champion. I hope Jason's parents are rich otherwise you might not see him at WYCC many more times. What the CFC doesn't do is organize special events and training opportunities for these kids who dared to take on the top boards at world events. Other countries clearly do you can see from the FIDE playcards the advantages young peers can have elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X