Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM coach for Jason Cao!

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
    I buy lottery tickets once in a while for two reasons. 1. At least some of the 649 fund goes to charities. 2. I find daydreaming about what I would do with a whole lot of money entertaining, and find that buying a ticket once in a while makes it easier to entertain myself daydreaming about it, and that's worth two bucks to me. And of course I'm not close enough to the ragged edge to make it significantly more likely that I will starve as a result.
    I wasn't knocking buying lottery tickets. I get to daydream with those stocks I buy. I get to pick up the phone and talk to CFO's or CEO's. When I have a question about one of their press or quarterly releases I phone or email and ask. I currently have lot of shares in a couple of "dreamer" companies. That paper manufacturer and an infrastructure once which worked on the steel work for the Olympic skating oval and Olympic ski jump. The later is around 7 cents a share.

The paper company seems to be turning around and I'm happy for the workers.

I don't think the ragged edge and starving are as certain as they used to be. Better social programs these days. For the year I was getting chemo a community care nurse used to come in daily to give me injections and see how I was coming along. I don't recall them having that 30 or 40 years ago and don't know if you can recall.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      What the CFC does is create an expensive qualification process for WYCC; one that apparently can provide zero funding on the way to being world champion. I hope Jason's parents are rich otherwise you might not see him at WYCC many more times. What the CFC doesn't do is organize special events and training opportunities for these kids who dared to take on the top boards at world events. Other countries clearly do you can see from the FIDE playcards the advantages young peers can have elsewhere.
      I think you always had to have money for chess. They sure didn't have those things you mentioned when I was a junior. My training came from players at the club. I was lucky enough that East European adults took some interest in my play. It was also a 7 day a week club.

It seems funny to hear someone from the center of the universe in Canada to be worried about funding. If you lived in a place like Winnipeg in the 50's and were a junior you'd see an entirely new meaning for lack of opportunity for juniors in chess. When it came time to decide between chess and a getting a job the decision was a no brainer.

Do you know I've seen more chess players or chess organizers interviewed on BNN than I've seen players interviewed on regular news programs? With GM Ken Rogoff the interviewer specifically asked him about chess (that wasn't the main topic of the interview) but the discussion was fascinating. Gordon also is and interesting person and gives a very nice interview.

Really, though, I like our standard of living under the system we have had over they years. I wouldn't have traded it for a better opportunity in chess.

Do you know sports like gynastics for kids costs more than chess for kids?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gymnastics might be more useful than chess in the long-run... In fact, I wished I did baseball instead of chess, that woulda been a fun alternate universe :D
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          For the year I was getting chemo a community care nurse used to come in daily to give me injections and see how I was coming along. I don't recall them having that 30 or 40 years ago and don't know if you can recall.
          I can recall my mother being flown out of Tofino in 1954, when I was 10, to have emergency surgery in Victoria for an ectopic pregnancy, and incurring a bill my Dad could not possibly pay, and having to take charity from the doctor. And I can remember how they felt at the time and how much it hurt them not to be able to pay, even though my dad was working a full time job as a butcher.

And I can remember the shame on my dad's face because he had no choice but to take that charity.

And I can remember how much it hurt the family and three young boys who watched their marriage nearly, but not quite, fail as a result.

And I can remember how good it felt when medicare came in and I knew that that kind of thing wasn't going to happen to my mom and dad any more. And I can remember getting decent care for my own ailments and getting no bills therefore.

Oh yes, I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Keeping off-topic, I used to bet with a friend that NONE of his 6/49 numbers would be chosen. I won more often than I lost.
            I like off topic. The probability of selecting six distinct numbers (without replacement) from 49 distinct numbers and not having one of six distinct preselected numbers from the 49 distinct numbers is approximately 0.435965. Mathematically this can be expressed as ((43!/37!)*(43!/49!)). So Hugh, you have been quite lucky that you have won your bet more times that you have lost. I’d suggest you quit while you are ahead (ie you have an approximately 56% chance of losing the next time [and each subsequent time]).

Comment

And I can remember how good it felt when medicare came in and I knew that that kind of thing wasn't going to happen to my mom and dad any more. And I can remember getting decent care for my own ailments and getting no bills therefore.

Oh yes, I can remember.
              Well, my longtime memories are back to the war years. When I went to school back in the 1940's it seemed the only kids who had much were those whose parents didn't serve in the military.

I'm not knocking medicare. It's saved me a lot of money over the years. For some things there are some costs included. After a chemo treatment what I had killed off the immune system. They give injections of Neupogen for 10 days after each treatment to build it back up a bit. The government does not pay for the Neupogen. It's the responsibility fo the patient. Cost is $2,000.00 (give or take about 5 dollar) for each treatment (10 injections) and there were 13 treatments. That's around $26,000.00. I have a private plan so they paid with my small deductable. I pay up front and submit the receipts. I don't know what happens with people who don't have a drug plan.

Maybe they pay for that in B.C. but not here.

Did you live in B.C. or Ontario when medicare came in? I was in Ontario and had a pretty good union negotiated private health care plan. That would have been around 1968. My wife worked for a private health insurance company back then. She lost her job as a result of public health insurance. She was pregnant and needed time off. They refused to give her the time off (about 4 to 6 weeks) and that was that. Had they allowed her the time off she'd have moved to employment with the provincial government as did her co-workers. Can you imagine a company treating workers that way these days? Probably against the law.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Had they allowed her the time off she'd have moved to employment with the provincial government as did her co-workers. Can you imagine a company treating workers that way these days? Probably against the law.
                I can certainly imagine it. I am quite sure stuff like that happens all over the world. A corporation is of course, essentially a collectivist organization. Many people under orders from a single central boss in quest of a single goal.

If it is against the law it is only because Unions, among others, fought for decent working conditions. When I worked for the Provincial government working conditions and pay were pretty lousy - no union back then, though I was a very small part of trying to organize one.

Even today, here in B.C., the mere fact that something is against the law doesn't stop many corporations from doing it, and justice for a wronged employee is not always easy to get. At the Library where I worked one of a pair of sisters was relieved of her job merely because the other sister won a job competition to be her temporary suprevisor. It took our union a couple of years and about ten thousand dollars to get some justice there.

Comment

Even today, here in B.C., the mere fact that something is against the law doesn't stop many corporations from doing it, and justice for a wronged employee is not always easy to get. At the Library where I worked one of a pair of sisters was relieved of her job merely because the other sister won a job competition to be her temporary suprevisor. It took our union a couple of years and about ten thousand dollars to get some justice there.
                  The problem there is the union employee loses access to the courts in many cases as far as I know. Are the employees not stuck with the union agreement and process?

Anyhow, BC is having it's problems. I notice that paper company has been granted leave to appeal taxation to the Surpreme Court of Canada. If they win the property tax model in B.C. will probably change leaving major industrial corporations paying less. A shift of tax burden.

Unions are, of course, everyones business because union dues are tax deductable. Do the companies or employees (out of their dues) pay the union presidents these days?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The problem there is the union employee loses access to the courts in many cases as far as I know. Are the employees not stuck with the union agreement and process?
                    Every union member is "stuck with the agreement" because of B.C. Law governing unions and employers.

The case I mentioned was not decided by the collective agreement except insofar as that agreement provides for grievance and arbitration. It was decided on a matter of civil rights, not on the contract.

Both the employer and the employees get to ratify whatever ammendments to the collective agreement may be reached by the two negotiating committees before it goes into effect. The last one I negotiated received a 90% vote in favour of ratification from the members, by secret ballot.

Unions are, of course, everyones business because union dues are tax deductable. Do the companies or employees (out of their dues) pay the union presidents these days?
                    They paid me a princely sum of (if I recall rightly, it's been a couple of years) $200 per month as their president, which they approved in the Annual General Meeting for which notice in advance was given and any member could attend.

Comment

The problem there is the union employee loses access to the courts in many cases as far as I know.
                      Most all of workers in B.C. don't have practical "access to the courts", the cost of which can only be paid by the small high income minority.

The union provides that access as far as their workplace rights are concerned. But that is a very limited access indeed. However in the case I mentioned the worker in question wouldn't have had a hope in hell of getting "access to the courts" making nine dollars an hour in a part time job.

Comment

Every union member is "stuck with the agreement" because of B.C. Law governing unions and employers.

The case I mentioned was not decided by the collective agreement except insofar as that agreement provides for grievance and arbitration. It was decided on a matter of civil rights, not on the contract.
                        Why did she need a union for a civil rights violation?

Some employers love unions because the contract helps them deal with employees. Fire someone and they have to go the grievence process. No individual litigation for severence pay when you get rid of an employee. The amounts are written into the contract normally. No individual negotiating of wages and vacation with employees which is a big bonus for an employer with a large number of employees.

By the way, who picked up your salary when you were on union business or negotiating or at conventions or arbitration? Was it the employer, yourself, or did it come out of the members dues?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Most all of workers in B.C. don't have practical "access to the courts", the cost of which can only be paid by the small high income minority.
                          That's a justification for the employees losing the rights to individually go after redress.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Why don't you guys start a separate thread when you see you are completely off-topic w/r the original post?

Comment

Why did she need a union for a civil rights violation?
                              I've already told you, but as usual you weren't listening.

By the way, who picked up your salary when you were on union business or negotiating or at conventions or arbitration? Was it the employer, yourself, or did it come out of the members dues?
                              For negotiations or meetings under the grievance procedure or in union/management committee the Employer pays.

For conventions the Union reimburses the employer for the time lost when billed. I hated conventions and tried to avoid them except in rare situations. They are usually deadly bores, or I thought them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                                Why don't you guys start a separate thread when you see you are completely off-topic w/r the original post?
                                So long as Gary keeps asking stupid questions that pertain to me I'll do my best to answer them unless he transgresses my personal boundaries. If he wants to start a separate thread he is free to do so. Or he can just stop asking stupid questions so I don't have to answer them. Don't hold your breath waiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X