GM Bator Sambuev new rating: 2725!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Bator Sambuev new rating: 2725!

New Canadian GM Bator Sambuev reached new heights and set new milestone.
    He reached peak rating of 2725. :D I believe this is new Canadian record.

Congratulations to Bator and best of luck in your chess career as coach and dominating player. :)

Re : GM Bator Sambuev new rating: 2725!

No offense to Bator Sambuev, but doesn't this prove that something's wrong with the rating system?

Comment

Re: Re : GM Bator Sambuev new rating: 2725!

Yes an impressive streak of victories but I agree it also shows some serious problems with the rating system.

Comment

CFC Rating System Problem?

Bator's FIDE rating is 2497. So I would think a CFC rating of 2725 is somewhat out of line. Seems there may be a systemic problem somewhere - is it just with the elite players? Or the whole system? Maybe Bill Doubleday, CFC Rating Auditor, should investigate.

Bob

Comment

Re: CFC Rating System Problem?

Hi,

Taking into account that Bator is the most active elite player in Canada, and definitely edges his closest competition, it doesn't seem so inappropriate that on a high streak he'd pass 2700.
          In my opinion, Bator has been contributing to Canadian chess by: playing almost everywhere, against anyone, sharing his knowledge of the game and always doing so in a graceful and friendly manner -- I am happy to see him break new records.

Look at what ALL our own ratings are in comparison to FIDE. It shouldn't take a new record for this nonsense to be investigated.
          At least participation points have disappeared, as they were completely ridiculous. It's about time we stop having people who's playing strength is declining, being in charge of adjusting the ratings system.
          - Bonus points
          - Taking a period 2004-2006 and retroactively (?) awarding points according to games played
          - Participation points
          - Back to bonus

A string of terrible decisions over the years. Any bonus points system for amazing performances should be countered by penalties for terrible performances.

Either admit that the CFC Ratings System is a joke (in relation to any international standard) and do whatever you like with it... or be objective about fixing it.
          Or... since FIDE ratings go all the way down to 1200 (and will be going down to 1000 soon), lets adopt FIDE rating system and abolish our own.

There's always the complaint about juniors taking points from the pool. It seems to me that juniors are actually more active than adults. Juniors are a big component of the pool. The 1980s are over. If we're grossly overrated as a whole in comparison to FIDE, take advantage of the junior pool to fix the system, rather than boost our egos by skyrocketing everyone's rating.

Alex F.

Definitely not underrated, possibly overrated, and in no way concerned about taking on all comers.

Comment

Very good points!
            Is the FIDE rating based on a different formula than the CFC rating? If yes, in what way?
            If not, could CFC rating be considered a "regional" FIDE rating?

Comment

Re : CFC Rating System Problem?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Bator's FIDE rating is 2497. So I would think a CFC rating of 2725 is somewhat out of line. Seems there may be a systemic problem somewhere - is it just with the elite players? Or the whole system? Maybe Bill Doubleday, CFC Rating Auditor, should investigate.
              In this case it is the FIDE rating that is out of line. Bator is way better than 2497. But that is easy to explain. Most of his recent chess is not FIDE rated.

Comment

I also agree with everything Alex wrote! I tend to look forward more than back, so I especially support any initiative to just go to FIDE ratings! That just seems easiest! ;)

By the way, I find it unfortunate that this thread went so quickly from celebration to discounting. I was within 6 feet of Bator when he realized this weekend that his rating would exceed 2700, and he was absolutely delighted! It was just one of those special moments, to see such a nice young man so happy, and I prefer to remember that! :)

Comment

Bob
                  Its actually fairly clear what happened. Participation points, a smaller regular player pool, and the withdrawal of many former elite players from the tournament scene. Bator's not even winning every game, which one might expect with a 2725 !!!

Comment

Or we can just change the rating system to Glicko or Glicko II, which takes into account certain factors such as volatility, activity, etc.

Comment

A FIDE Rating System in Canada?

Hi Aris:

When Bob Gillanders was running for President, one of the items I asked him to comment on, which was on my CFC wish list, was going completely to FIDE ratings.

He was dead against the idea.

I think Hal Bond, and Tom O'Donnell have also plumped for going over to FIDE ratings - but I think we have a way to go to getting a groundswell behind us.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                        Its actually fairly clear what happened. Participation points, a smaller regular player pool, and the withdrawal of many former elite players from the tournament scene.
                        and that all Bator's faults :D

In a recent interview Aronian told that he is happy with breaking a 28xx barrier, and added that 29xx is not for a current generation. (my loose interpretation). Bator have potential for 28xx CFC. Go for it :D

Comment

Re: A FIDE Rating System in Canada?

Hi Aris:

When Bob Gillanders was running for President, one of the items I asked him to comment on, which was on my CFC wish list, was going completely to FIDE ratings.

He was dead against the idea.

I think Hal Bond, and Tom O'Donnell have also plumped for going over to FIDE ratings - but I think we have a way to go to getting a groundswell behind us.

Bob
                          I believe that resistance is at least partly due to fear of losing CFC rating fee revenue. However, it seems that the $3/$5 charge per player per tournament is not just a rating fee, but also an ongoing CFC membership fee. I suggest that once we start calling it what it really is, then it will be easier to switch to FIDE-only ratings, because that cost could be separated from the tournament cost. The challenge will be to do it a time such that the new_CFC_tournament_fee+$2.20_for_FIDE_rating would be equal to, or ideally less than, the current_$3_CFC_tournament_and_rating_fee. We need to know how much of that current $3 it actually costs to rate now, and add to that savings to the new website. That is why I brought up FIDE rating in the Governors discussion on the new website. I wonder how much of that $18K we could have saved going FIDE rating now, or go the other way, building a FIDE results interface, saving the CFC office all that work. By the way, it seems Swiss-Manager facilitates direct input for ratings to FIDE.

Comment

Re: A FIDE Rating System in Canada? - CFC Revenue Loss

Hi Aris:

Though I want to go to a FIDE-only rating system, I have not yet figured out how we will cover the loss of revenue that CFC needs to operate.

We know that the " rating fees " cover two things: the actual cost of operating the rating system, which is much lower than the total rating fees collected; secondly, part of the general expenses of running the CFC.

If we go to a FIDE-only system, CFC will still have some administration to do of the system. So although we will eliminate much of the cost of running the system, we will not eliminate CFC's rating system cost entirely. And if we only charge as the new FIDE rating fee, an amount equal to the actual FIDE cost + the CFC administering cost, we will now have a general revenue shortfall of all the balance of the rating fees we used to collect. From where is that revenue going to be replaced? Will we have to raise the annual CFC membership fee, at the same time as the members perceive they are getting less service from CFC, because it no longer runs a rating system?

So I know what I want, but at present I don't know how to get there !

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira
                              Or... since FIDE ratings go all the way down to 1200 (and will be going down to 1000 soon), lets adopt FIDE rating system and abolish our own.
                              This might be a great idea. But the problem here is the membership fee.

In FIDE membership fee is much higher than in CFC...

And if we will just calculate CFC members' ratings by ourselves using FIDE system, to match FIDE ratings we will need to take into account all the games played by all FIDE rated Canadians out of country.

Almoust impossible...

Comment

Working...
                              X