Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CYCC 2011 voting result

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Hi Peter, There is a debate over whether the first paragraph you wrote is a conflict of interest if a financial gain is not involved.
    I've made my point of view clear, i.e. that conflict of interest should be (and is, in the real world,) more broadly defined. If people disagree, that's their prerogative. Where do you stand?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re: Vote or No Vote for the Chair?

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      what I think is that you are creating mountains out of mole hills and hallucinating an imaginary conflict of interest.
      Well, of course I disagree. :) At the very least, Roger, just so everyone is on the same wavelength, the CFC needs to take the following section from the Handbook and either expand it to include the CFC's definition of conflict of interest or, if the matter is just going to be treated as a joke by supposedly responsible people, get rid of the section altogether:

Originally posted by From CFC Handbook
      CONFLICT OF INTEREST
      Whenever a proposal is being considered which puts any CFC officer in a potential conflict of interest he shall declare the conflict and abstain from discussion, voting or other involvement in the matter.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

If a person gains in a material manner from a motion s/he should declare their conflict of interest and recuse themselves.

If 20 Governors put together a bid for a tournament from which they were not going to benefit personally in a material way, they should be free to vote in favor of their bid.

Comment

I think Ken's point of view is the one the Ethics Committee is going to hear the most in the submissions to them from the governors, given the debate on the Governors' Board so far. I think Peter's view is in the minority re this particular issue ( ie. tournament bids ).

I also think, in some other situations, some governors agree the definition should be the broader one.

Bob

Bob

Comment

If a person gains in a material manner from a motion s/he should declare their conflict of interest and recuse themselves.

If 20 Governors put together a bid for a tournament from which they were not going to benefit personally in a material way, they should be free to vote in favor of their bid.
            I wonder when the last time was that twenty governors were on the organizing committee of a group bidding for a tournament? Let's say that I'm part of the organizing committee for a competing bid. Let's say that there are no governors on the organizing committee I've joined. Let's say that, by some reasonable criteria, the bid I'm associated with is as good as, or even slightly better than, the 20-governor bid. Let's suppose that the bid I'm associated with loses the vote and that all of the governors associated with the 20-governor bid cast their ballots for their own bid. Is it a good idea to leave third parties with the impression that my bid lost because we didn't have the decision making body 'stacked' with our 'own' governors?

Please see Ken MacDonald's post in this thread. The perception of conflict can be just as damaging as the real McCoy (but perhaps I'm only hallucinating )

Comment

As you said above, we obviously disagree on what constitutes a conflict of interest. If Governors are not allowed to vote for bids of which they are part of the organizing committee, you will inevitably get a situation where no bids will be put forth by Governors.

Comment

As you said above, we obviously disagree on what constitutes a conflict of interest. If Governors are not allowed to vote for bids of which they are part of the organizing committee, you will inevitably get a situation where no bids will be put forth by Governors.
                Should a group of people who want to submit a bid to organize one of the CFC's fixture events be entitled to the expectation that their bid will be considered fairly and objectively by the CFC, or not? If your answer is that they should be entitled to that expectation, then explain to me how the CFC can satisfy that expectation by having decision makers who sit on the organizing committees of competing bidders? Seriously, explain it to me.

Any governor who would avoid becoming involved with the organization of a tournament for fear that s/he wouldn't be allowed to vote for their own tournament isn't worth a pinch of you-know-what as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Conflict of Interest Challenges?

Hi Peter:

In the recent CYCC bid competition, it appears a few governors were significantly involved in assisting each team to put together their bid, to give them advice on how to make it the most attractive. I think we could safely assume they were no longer " objective " under your broader conflict of interest definition. It appears they had no financial interest in the outcome. But they were not named on the team's formal " Organizing Committee ".

In future, do you see each side being able to challenge the right to vote of governors in this situation, before the Ethics Committee, if the governors, before the vote have not yet declared their conflict?

Bids can be hotly contested ( though we seldom see it ) - the 2011 CYCC tournament vote was a 15-14 vote ( I can't put my finger on this total anywhere at the moment, but I think this was it with the " missed " votes counted ). I foresee use of this challenge in future where parties perceive the vote to be close, if this manoeuver is allowed.

Is this what you are proposing?

Bob

Comment

Re: Conflict of Interest Challenges?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Hi Peter:

In the recent CYCC bid competition, it appears a few governors were significantly involved in assisting each team to put together their bid, to give them advice on how to make it the most attractive. I think we could safely assume they were no longer " objective " under your broader conflict of interest definition. It appears they had no financial interest in the outcome. But they were not named on the team's formal " Organizing Committee ".

In future, do you see each side being able to challenge the right to vote of governors in this situation, before the Ethics Committee, if the governors, before the vote have not yet declared their conflict?

Bids can be hotly contested ( though we seldom see it ) - the 2011 CYCC tournament vote was a 15-14 vote ( I can't put my finger on this total anywhere at the moment, but I think this was it with the " missed " votes counted ). I foresee use of this challenge in future where parties perceive the vote to be close, if this manoeuver is allowed.

Is this what you are proposing?

Bob
                    Moreover, some of the team was not announced until after the bid was decided (e.g. the TD). Is it proposed that the organizing team be 'frozen' and governers are not allowed to join in after the bid is decided? Otherwise, someone sensitive to the appearence of conflict of interest could cry foul....

Note that the TD is often (and also in this case) from somewhere anywhere in the country. If a TD is not announced as part of the bid, (i.e. the one person who might get a financial incentive), are all competent TDs with experience in large tournaments (i.e. those who have the most knowledge among us about what a good bid looks like) to be banned from voting?

As far as financial interest is concerned, the financial interest of those of the bidding team is probably negative, certainly so once the cash value of their donated time is included (not to mention the downside of a guaranteed prize fund). Perhaps the worry is that they will vote for the other bid. :-) Also, anybody who plans to play (with possible travel expenses) or has a reasonable expectation of prize money has greater positive financial inducements than the organizing team.

Am I concerned that an involved governer will vote for his own bid? No, I'm not. In fact, I should probably demand it. And should it lead to an arms race by bidding teams to involve governers in their bid, well, that's a good thing.

Comment

Every decision I make is subjective, Peter. I make them through my lens and my biases. If there was some objective analysis that existed around issues facing the Federation then we would find unanimity on all motions. Obviously we do not.
                      Last edited by Ken Craft; Tuesday, 14th December, 2010, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                        Am I concerned that an involved governer will vote for his own bid? No, I'm not. In fact, I should probably demand it. And should it lead to an arms race by bidding teams to involve governers in their bid, well, that's a good thing.
                        Peter, Roger hits the nail right on the head. We need and want governors to be involved, to submit bid and/or help others. Telling them they can't both help and vote is counterproductive. We want governors to be involved.

Conflict of interest rules are first and foremost meant to protect the organization from individuals who have a competing financial interest. To extend that definition to try and achieve your utopian ideal of an unbiased vote is neither possible, enforceable, or even desirable!
                        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 14th December, 2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

To repeat what I posted earlier in this thread, without the "pinhead" embellishments....

""Conflict of interest" in the usual sense refers specifically to direct potential financial benefit only. It also refers to the "appearance" of a conflict.

If people feel that executives or governers are going to driectly benefit financially from any of the bids, then there is a case. Any other "conflict" is only in the minds of whoever is arguing, and has no legal status whatsoever. It will then be up to the CFC to decide as to whether the actions were appropriate.

Seems to me that if someone works for a bid, they have every right to support it....sort of like voting for yourself in an election....."

Nice to see some sanity in the deabate!
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

Every decision I make is subjective, Peter. I make them through my lens and my biases. If there was some objective analysis that existed around issues facing the Federation then we would find unanimity on all motions. Obviously we do not.
                            Ken, should I infer from your comments that your position is that there is no such thing as a fair and objective decision at the CFC? If that's not what you intended, then what is your position re the questions below?

Originally posted by Peter McKillop
                            Should a group of people who want to submit a bid to organize one of the CFC's fixture events be entitled to the expectation that their bid will be considered fairly and objectively by the CFC, or not? If your answer is that they should be entitled to that expectation, then explain to me how the CFC can satisfy that expectation by having decision makers who sit on the organizing committees of competing bidders?

Comment

Objectivity doesn't exist, Peter. Each Governor having a vote unless s/he is in conflict of interest is fair.

I feel like we are going around a mulberry bush.

Let's use an example: Let's say Toronto and Fredericton both put in bids for a Co. The Toronto bid committee consists of all of the Toronto area Governors. The Fredericton bid contains all of the N.B. Governors. All of the Toronto Governors vote for their bid. All of the N.B. Governors vote for their bid. The Toronto bid wins. That is fair.

Comment

Our model differs from Olympic bidding or FIDE bidding in that in those cases a country brings forward a bid and everyone votes including the countries that bring forward the bid.

In our case, bids are brought forward by individuals and/or committees, who may or may not have voting rights.

If we had a model where each bid was brought forward by a single governor, then it would seem more of a fair system.

Alternatively, we could simply say that if you live within 100 (or 250) miles of a nominated location you may not vote. This way only the truly disinvolved people would get to choose.

I think regular Governor business such as election of Officers and tournament locations do not fall under conflict of interest, unless there is a potential financial gain, which 99.9% of the time there would not be for these type of endeavours.

However, when we get into special one-time situations, especially dealing with funding to strong players and juniors there might well be conflict of interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X