CYCC 2011 voting result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Conflict of Interest Challenges?

''You're sounding like that fred harvey fellow who doesn't want to talk to me anymore. ''

LOL. I am so sorry Peter, that my recognition that I had nothing further to contribute to your debate has left you feeling so rejected! I believe the word of the day is tiresome.

Remind me....what exactly happened that was so disgraceful? Not guesses, not betting, just... oh whatever!

("I had this fear that all my friends were dishonest. So I told them, and they all stopped talking to me." Gospel according to fred 2010)
    Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      You from New Brunswick, Fred?
      I realize you're referring to Fred Harvey here, Peter, but I think the answer to that question is most likely NO. He looks to be an interested non-CFC member, as him name doesn't show up in the rating list.

I, Fred McKim am from NB, having moved to PEI in 1997.

Comment

Merry Christmas, Fred. :)
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          ... If we can learn from other organizations, great. Would you like to research that for us? As Bob A. said, the ethics committee would be happy to receive your brief. Better yet, how would you like to serve on the ethics committee? ...
          Hi Bob. Depending on timing, work commitments, etc., I may consider submitting a brief to a CFC ethics committee if they're going to look at COI. Since I'm clearly biased in favour of a broad interpretation of COI, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to sit on the committee. The people on the committee should be perceived as being impartial and open minded.

Merry Christmas, Bob. :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thanks, Fred, and Merry Christmas. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Merry Christmas, Fred. :)
              ...and of course a properous New Year, Peter, free of any interesting conflicts...:p;)
              Fred Harvey

Comment

• Re: One Last Try

This thread is almost seven months abandoned. That is as nothing. Writing as one who attended his first CFC Annual Meeting in 1970; not yet the oldest of the old; with luck....

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
                It seems to me a person's self-interest should always rest in not organizing a chess event, considering the risks to one's finances and reputation... ;)
                Mmmmm. Yeeees. The wording of the CFC Handbook is not accidental. If say Scarborough submits a bit, it was never the intention that governors from Ontario, nor from Toronto, nor even from Scarborough should recuse themselves from voting. Governor voting is "all in", it is partisan. The governors are the members of the organization, the citizens. That is one reason it is no longer the "Board" of governors, it is the "Assembly" of governors. For the jobs of officers, executive members, presidents, there may be other strictures. When you see the smiling face of Stephen Mugabe put his vote in the box on election day, it's legit. He's voting as a citizen, and even though his vote is for you-know-who, it is a proper vote. The COI, if there is any, starts at a higher level.

Whether you call it "crying over spilt milk" or "closing the gate after the horse has bolted" or "gosh that was a dangerous-looking stapler" or "Homeland Security", there are plenty of instances in our society of using ineffective methods to counter perceived threats.
                Let's not add to them. </rant> No trick or protocol will force governors to make good decisions; they must use their noggins.

Comment

Working...
                X