Welcome To The Depression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome To The Depression...

Welcome to the depression. If your cell phone goes off during the game you will lose. The toilet roll dispenser will withdraw, the toilet will flush and the stall door will be open.

Legend has it that during the last depression, in the last century, even before the days of most those who now administer the CFC, chess gained popularity. It's not like there was a lot to do. Listen to the wife talk about the job you didn't have or go play chess. It was a no brainer and when you get down to it, who really ever wants to work? I only ever worked because the kids used to cry when they were hungry. I went to work and my wife stayed home and listened to them cry.

With any luck at all the chess clubs will flourish as the job market crashes.

We have an election coming up. I don't bother voting these days because it's my feeling it only encourages them. Really, though, in the days when I did vote the only question was if I was better off than I had been before the last administration took office. Probably you thought I cared if you were better off, or humanity was better off. Not a chance. If I was better off then the government had earned my vote for another term. If I was not then I would vote for someone else.

This is a tough election. The government has quite the record. Remember the income trusts? They are spending our national wealth on a war and building our war machine. I've never voted for a war. They allow tax deductions if a parent sends his kids to a camp. But not if it's a chess camp. They want chess parents to vote for other people whose kids participate in other activities to get tax breaks while the chess parents get ZIP. How do you like that model?

The official oppositon is also the treat of the week. The leader wants us to vote for a carbon tax. Here we are entering a depression and they want us to vote for more taxes. Probably he's wondering why the polls show one of the parties is heading for a majority government and it's not his. The Liberals are not losing this election. The leader is giving it away!

The NDP and Green Party have staked out the same ground as the Liberals so we should see a nice split of the votes.

Probably crotchety John will tell me I sound bitter. I sentence him to a week of watching the stock ticker on TV. :)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Re: Welcome To The Depression...

Ummm the liberals sent us to war... atleast the conservatives want to send our troops with modern weapons that will help the troops survive... As for the carbon tax... thats what the left of center parties always want to do... tax tax tax

Comment

Here's how Canadian politics works:

Conservatives - don't eff with your money that much
      Liberals - eff with your money quite a bit
      NDP - eff with your money A LOT
      Green - useless hippies

It doesn't matter why the election was called or what's going on the world. The Conservatives always eff with your money the least...
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        Here's how Canadian politics works:

Conservatives - don't eff with your money that much
        Liberals - eff with your money quite a bit
        NDP - eff with your money A LOT
        Green - useless hippies

It doesn't matter why the election was called or what's going on the world. The Conservatives always eff with your money the least...
        I thought you were a history buff. Why don't you tell us what the national debt was when Mulroney came to power and what it was when his government was unceremoniously booted out of office? Doubled in 9 short years. The Conservatives were running a deficit of around 40 billion.

Most people have figured out why the present government won't give tax deductions for childrens chess. It has to do with the physical aspect of what they will support. The physical activities for which they will give tax deduction are those which will contribute toward making good soldiers. Chess is for intellects and leaders.

By the way, many of my friends were hippies.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Most people have figured out why the present government won't give tax deductions for childrens chess. It has to do with the physical aspect of what they will support. The physical activities for which they will give tax deduction are those which will contribute toward making good soldiers.
          At least your reasoning is misleading.
          Do you believe that Russian invaded US during Russia-Georgia war? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            At least your reasoning is misleading.
            Do you believe that Russian invaded US during Russia-Georgia war? :D
            I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about, nor do I care.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

US Election>Canadian Election

US = 100 x more interesting. Canadian= boooooooooooooooring.

Comment

The people who hoped that the "new Chess Talk" would be different from the "old Chess Talk" were dreaming.

I think I would rather hear Ruben go on about the Winawer French than about the real world, but I'm not sure. Maybe that's a subject for a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Harper View Post
                  I think I would rather hear Ruben go on about the Winawer French than about the real world, but I'm not sure. Maybe that's a subject for a poll.
                  You could also write about the real world, if you know anything about the topic. Maybe that's a subject for a poll.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: US Election>Canadian Election

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                    US = 100 x more interesting. Canadian= boooooooooooooooring.
                    Do you really think so? I always thought the Canadian multi-party system is more interesting.

If you want to look at Clinton's first victory, it shows how a popular third person can change an election. Bush Sr. was running for a second term and it was thought he was a lock to get it. Most of the top democrats didn't even contest the nomination and Clinton won that. The election would have been between Clinton and Bush Sr. most years. For that election a popular fellow by the name of Ross Perot ran as an independent for president. He split the right win vote just enough that Clinton won the election and Bush Sr. was denied a second term.

That's about as exciting as a U.S. election ever gets. In Canada both the Republicans and Democrats would be right wing parties.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      I thought you were a history buff. Why don't you tell us what the national debt was when Mulroney came to power and what it was when his government was unceremoniously booted out of office? Doubled in 9 short years. The Conservatives were running a deficit of around 40 billion.

Most people have figured out why the present government won't give tax deductions for childrens chess. It has to do with the physical aspect of what they will support. The physical activities for which they will give tax deduction are those which will contribute toward making good soldiers. Chess is for intellects and leaders.

By the way, many of my friends were hippies.
                      Firstly, eff this new ChessTalk for deleting my post. I will try to retype it verbatim. As I'm brilliant, this should be easy.

1. Mulroney was not PM when the PC were ousted.
                      2. Trudeau TRIPLED the national debt during an ECONOMIC BOOM. Mulroney DOUBLED the national debt during an ECONOMIC RECESSION, due in large part to having to pay interest on TRUDEAU's debt. Go learn, child.
                      3. Mulroney brought us our beautiful FTA.
                      4. The government should not support chess. As long as our healthcare system is state-sponsored, the government should support sports.
                      5. "Chess is for intellects and leaders." Ahahahahaha. :') Most pathetic sentence of all-time. First of all, nice bias, bias-face. Second of all, "intellects"? Do you mean "intellectuals"? Third of all, leaders? Then how come chess players are SO DAMN POOR?
                      6. I hate hippies. So, after working on my stunning, Adonis-like physique at Gold's Gym the other day, I roamed the Village for a short while before deciding to dine at Red Burrito. As usual, after spending several minutes thoroughly examining the menu, I selected the same meal I always select: the Red Burrito special with a bottle of mango juice. I then transported my food over to a makeshift baseball diamond to eat my food and play some baseball with friends. Eventually, day became dusk and it was time to pack up and leave. I was putting my garbage back in the paper to-go bag from which I originally drew it when my environmentalist friend Avery asked me if he could put a small piece of trash in there. Of course, I said that'd be fine, but informed him that I would later be strewing the garbage somewhere. A look of shock lept across Avery's face but was quickly replaced by a grin as he realised that no one would do that. No human could hate environmentalism that much. One would have to be a MACHINE to go OUT OF HIS WAY to litter. Needless to say, I later randomly discarded my garbage on a grassy knoll. Good times for all those involved. Basically, that sums up my sentiments towards hippies, evironmentalism and "green" living. The only thing green about me is in my lungs. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so clever.
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

When will Ben be banned?

Comment

I'll try to respond to your points.

1. You're right that Mulroney wasn't Prime Minister when the PC's were ousted. It had become clear he had zero chance of winning again and handed off the leadership. Kim Campbell took the beating for Mulroney in much the same way as John Turner took a beating for Trudeau. Mulroney and his GST and Free Trade turned a very comfortable majority government into a 2 seat RUMP party. So small they could hold a caucus meeting in a phone booth. Charest and Elsie Wayne, I seem to recall, were the only two PC's to win their ridings. The PC's never recovered from this and eventually were folded into the successor of the old Reform party which had changed it's name to something else.

2. In fact, tripling a small debt over 16 or so years is quite different than doubling a much larger national debt in 9 short years. The PC's were spending like they had a money machine. 40 Billion dollar deficits. Disgraceful.
                          By the way, I never once voted for Trudeau or a Liberal candidate during those Trudeau years so don't blame him on me.

3. We found out during the softwood lumber dispute the Americans do whatever they want. Even when we won, a weak Conservative Prime Minister didn't insist they pay the entire amount.

4. The government should offer the same tax breaks to chess parents as they offer to parents of children who do physical activities. By not doing so they are taking away freedom of choice from parents to decide on mental activities for their children to the extent of denying them funding.

5. I notice you, who has told me you were a good student in that you scored high marks, gravitated toward chess. If you don't consider yourself an intellect of any kind then possibly you have a point.

6. One of my regular calls, way back when, was Rochdale College. I used to have to go there at least once a month for a number of years. I never felt the way you do about hippies. Are you sure you even know what a Hippie was? An environmentalist isn't necessarily a Hippie. Your environmentalist friend may simply have misguided views.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

LOL politics you gotta love it

1. when trudeau came to power the canadian dollar was worth MORE than the US dollar. Through idiotic left wing nanny state policies he completely pissed our economy away. YOU CANT SPEND MORE THAN YOU EARN. Everyone repeat this over and over until it sinks in... eventually you will have to pay that debt. Since chess players are so darn smart this shouldn't take long :) then again look at the state of the CFC...

2. The Conservatives of the 80's were far from conservative. A REAL conservative doesn't piss money away like they did. That is why the Reform party was created. The PC's were closer to the liberal party in policies and this pissed off the real conservatives... thus the reform party started.
                            oh yeah, and remember the interest rates that they had to deal with on left wing nonsense debt? that is the real reason for the huge increase in the debt.

3. Even the CBC has to admit that the 'fundamentals' of the Canadian economy has been well handled by harper. As much as I don't care for harper, he has handled the economic situation as well as can be expected. Those on the left of the political spectrum only have one solution to this... TAX TAX TAX. People who think this would solve the problem should read Adam Smith 'the wealth of nations' repeatedly until they understand it.

4. Remember who got us into this war across the world... it wasn't the bad old conservatives... it was the LIBERALS!!! conservatives just want our troops to have some modern equipment. Ever fired an old 'liberal era' FN assault rifle? Big heavy clunky thing (mine was labeled built in 1965) Compare that to the newer equipment that the conservatives have given the armed forces today. Not perfect but at least they actually care about the troops.

and damn i hate hippies... they should get a haircut and get a real job!

Thus ends both the history and economic lessons for today :)

BTW why ban Ben? does he really annoy you that much?

Comment

oh yeah :)

I live in the town that was made famous by Trudeau by giving his famous 'one finger wave' telling all of us in the west what he truly thought of us!

Comment

Working...
                              X