A Bye in the Final Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bye in the Final Round

As far as I know all of the tournaments I played in had a "0 point bye in the final round" rule, even if the request was made long before the tournament began.

I looked through the rules and couldn't find anything written about this issue.

The reason I'm posting is because I wonder if the rule is really necessary. And in addition to the possibility of it being unnecessary it may unfair.

I live about 500km from the closest tournament site and sometimes I need to either take a bye in the first or last round or both. Both of those rounds are equal in value in the overall standings. Why should a player who can't make the first round game be given a half a point and a player who can't make the last round game be given zero points?

If the TD is informed before the first round is paired, a half point bye in the final round might be fair as long as it is communitcated to all players when the pairings are posted.

Re: A Bye in the Final Round

Originally posted by Chris White View Post
    As far as I know all of the tournaments I played in had a "0 point bye in the final round" rule, even if the request was made long before the tournament began.

I looked through the rules and couldn't find anything written about this issue.

The reason I'm posting is because I wonder if the rule is really necessary. And in addition to the possibility of it being unnecessary it may unfair.

I live about 500km from the closest tournament site and sometimes I need to either take a bye in the first or last round or both. Both of those rounds are equal in value in the overall standings. Why should a player who can't make the first round game be given a half a point and a player who can't make the last round game be given zero points?

If the TD is informed before the first round is paired, a half point bye in the final round might be fair as long as it is communitcated to all players when the pairings are posted.
    I agree with you, although maybe a TD can provide a reason for this. Maybe it's because pairings get tougher as a tournament goes on, and IF you are winning, you will usually play players that are playing better and better as a tournament progresses.

That doesn't make too much sense to me though, as it certainly doesn't apply for all players and tournaments, just speculation.

Comment

A bye is given to a player so that they can play competitive games, still be in the thick of things. The 1/2 point is used for pairing the next round. As there is no round to play after the last round there is no reason to give a withdrawn player a bye.

There is also the element of fairness for players trying to win a prize. Players playing their last-round game know that they need to work hard for a win or draw (often against a higher rated player) to win a prize. These players, playing a tough, stressful game, resent having to share the prize with somebody who got their final 1/2 point without any effort or stress (and is not even there to pick up their prize).

Comment

it varies - US tournaments often allow last round half point byes if asked for in advance whereas Canadian ones don't. I just tied for 1st in a US tournament with someone who had a last round bye (although I beat him in round 1!).

As it happens, he took an amateur option for entry fee so it gave me all of 1st prize.

But really, why do you care? a bye in the earlier rounds gives you better pairings (but doesn't really change your final point score for prize money) so that matters but in the last round it doesn't affect anything but prizes.

Comment

Re : Re: A Bye in the Final Round

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          But really, why do you care? a bye in the earlier rounds gives you better pairings (but doesn't really change your final point score for prize money) so that matters but in the last round it doesn't affect anything but prizes.
          The only reason why someone would care about getting a half point for a last round bye lies in the noble hope that this half point will get him into the prize list. Which is reason enough not to allow such byes, if byes should be allowed at all.

Comment

Re : A Bye in the Final Round

Players are not allowed to take a bye in the last round for obvious reasons : if you have good chances to win a prize, you will most likely be playing against stronger opponents than you already did in the first rounds. It would be unfair if we could beat weaker opponents in the firsts rounds and then take one or two byes and win the tournament...

Comment

Re: Re : A Bye in the Final Round

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              Players are not allowed to take a bye in the last round for obvious reasons : if you have good chances to win a prize, you will most likely be playing against stronger opponents than you already did in the first rounds. It would be unfair if we could beat weaker opponents in the firsts rounds and then take one or two byes and win the tournament...
              I would suggest that the scoring system should now be changed to reflect a significant value of a draw against a bye. Hence, the scoring system will now be 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, 1 point for a bye and 0 point for a loss. 2 draws are similar to a win and a bye, 4 is to 4, instead of 1 is to 1.5 respectively.:)
              Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Tuesday, 30th November, 2010, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I don't suppose most people realize how spoiled we are in North America.
                These "byes" hardly exist in Europe, people just don't take them. When it happens, it's a zero point bye, regardless of which round.
                People here are used to being able to take the morning or evening off one round and still be in it for the money. This is probably due to ridiculously large class prizes (mostly in USA), when in my opinion us untitled players have no business playing for money.
                We amateurs in my opinion should play for the love of the game and classes can be a good thing so we play against opponents of similar caliber. It shouldn't matter how many points we have or whether we get zero or half point bye for missing a round.
                A half-point bye for not showing up is an incredible privilege which people nowadays consider a right. The idea is laughable in many parts of the world and at far more prestigious tournaments than the ones we see here.
                But hey... I'll take a half-point bye :)

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                  These "byes" hardly exist in Europe, people just don't take them.
                  A "zero" bye is not a big problem in a 9-round tournament ;)
                  Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 30th November, 2010, 12:02 PM.

Comment

In my opinion a last round bye is a withdrawal and as such the player is not even eligible for a prize. Can you win money in any other sport if you do not finish?

Alex is bang on regarding our bye expectations. As an organizer I like features which encourage participation, so at regstration time I am happy to provide byes. Then the appreciation fades. Most people who lose a game while a rival skips the round and still passes him on the cross table are likely to harbour to some resentment.

Over the years I have fielded hundreds of bye requests from people during the tournament for whatever reason. When I suggest a zero point bye, their reason usually takes backseat to their ambitions on the crosstable, and invariably they choose to play instead!

There have been several compromises proposed, such as quarter or third point byes when requested. One way or another I would like to see us weaned off the whole notion of half point byes.

Comment

Chris,

It would seem opinion has turned decidedly against you!

On the other hand, I am sympathetic to your arguments. I think byes are a wonderful idea. It allows greater participation for those with family and other commitments without unduly harming someones chances of winning something (cash, trophies, or bragging rights). I am delighted they are a part of North American chess, so what if Europe thinks otherwise.

Limits are obviously necessary. Too many byes allow for ridiculous results. Last round byes are particularly frowned upon because someone could decide to take a final round (half point) bye to guarantee a prize without having to play a tough opponent.

But in your case (extraordinary travel conditions) a half point bye requested in advance of the start of the tournament seems worthy of consideration. It would have to be announced to everyone beforehand, and without the option of changing your mind. That sounds fair to me. :)

I doubt you will find many TD's willing, but why not ask. If it is a small friendly tournament, why not! :D

Comment

Re: Re : A Bye in the Final Round

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                        Actually, it's the way how the tournament was setup. The prizes/trophies should not be shared equally among players who have identical scores but instead broken according to the tiebreak system. The disadvantage of taking a bye would be obviously significant compared to players who played all their games. These factors were all taken into consideration by the pairing software. If the tiebreak system is applied properly, there is no way that a player who took a bye should win a tournament but instead relegated to the bottom of the tournament standings.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                          In my opinion a last round bye is a withdrawal and as such the player is not even eligible for a prize. Can you win money in any other sport if you do not finish?

Alex is bang on regarding our bye expectations. As an organizer I like features which encourage participation, so at regstration time I am happy to provide byes. Then the appreciation fades. Most people who lose a game while a rival skips the round and still passes him on the cross table are likely to harbour to some resentment.

Over the years I have fielded hundreds of bye requests from people during the tournament for whatever reason. When I suggest a zero point bye, their reason usually takes backseat to their ambitions on the crosstable, and invariably they choose to play instead!

There have been several compromises proposed, such as quarter or third point byes when requested. One way or another I would like to see us weaned off the whole notion of half point byes.
                          1) someone who has a zero point bye in the last round but still has enough points for a prize should still be entitled to that prize. He has demonstrated the ability necessary and not awarding it merely encourages people to show up and resign after one move.

2) personally speaking I have (and often still do) take zero point byes. I have had a TD refuse to give me a zero point bye for round 3 so I withdrew. I think his decision was pointless and not in any way helpful to building tournament attendance.

3) if not offered the possibility of getting a half point bye if requested in advance, I would be more likely not to play at all (although zero points for the last round is just fine) A zero point bye typically means more games in the rest of the tournament against weak players and uninteresting games - so less interest for me. So, if you don't mind lower tournament attendence and think there is no reason to bother accommodating otherwise possible entries, go ahead.

4) I know some people consider the idea of half point byes as 'damaging the tournament integrity' but fundamentally, this is a flawed view of what we call tournaments. For most players, a weekend Swiss is an entertainment experience not a competitiion designed solely to determine who is number 1. We have a long standing decline in participation in rated CFC games. Reversing this trend is not helped by talking about implementing policies to discourage entries.
                          Last edited by Roger Patterson; Tuesday, 30th November, 2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

There are a lot of interesting points of view on the issue. And don't get me wrong; it would never be a reason not to play. I would gladly pay the enrty fee in any tournament just to play in one round if that was all that I could do! I'm not really a prize money kind of player. :)

In a couple of tournaments where I had to take a 0 point bye, I finished in the overall standings lower than those who took byes in other rounds. If I only had that half point bye I may have finished in the top half (which is usually a goal of mine, since I often start a tournament in the bottom half). :)

After a little more thinking it seems that a player who starts in the bottom half could benefit more for a first round bye and a player near the top could possibly benefit from a later round half point.

But I still can't imagine anyone taking a half point bye in the final round (if announced before the tournament starts) with any strategic precision. It would depend on the number of players in the tournament, number of rounds, number of other byes and their rounds, what color would the top player have in round one (in order to estimate your number of whites), and other complex factors. And sharing prize money because someone took a half point bye in the last round should be just as unfair as sharing with someone who took thier bye in the first round.

But by no means to I think I'm right on this one. It is just an rule I found to be worthy of intellectual effort. I'm still thinking about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris White View Post
                              And sharing prize money because someone took a half point bye in the last round should be just as unfair as sharing with someone who took thier bye in the first round.
                              Tell that to H.Nakamura, who just grabbed a first prize with the last round bye (the bye was request in advance (month?) :D (the story was discussed some year ago at chesstalk)

Comment

Working...
                              X