Chess960 tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess960 tournament

Last week the Annex Chess Club had a lecture by Michael Sutton on chess960, details published:

http://annexchessclub.com/

This Monday night they're having a Chess960 tournament, all invited. I think that a Chess960 active tournament can't be CFC-rated.

Has there ever been a chess960 tournament in Canada before? Or is this the first?

Re: Chess960 tournament

I don't understand why players themselves cannot decide what squares to place the pieces. If someone wants two light-squared Bs, they should be allowed to place them there, imo. Under an alternating piece placement model (i.e. White chooses to place a piece, then Black, then White, etc.):

1) Black has the advantage for the placement part (since he gets to see White's placement before choosing his own) which helps counter-balance White's advantage of the first move.

2) Players would need to think right from the placement part of the game which would allow the theoretically-minded to study optimal placements vs their opponent's various placements.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      I don't understand why players themselves cannot decide what squares to place the pieces.
      Such a system was invented decades ago and some articles were written about it calling it "pre-chess" if my memory serves me well. For some reason it did not catch on, whereas the modified version of Fischer's variant now known as "Chess960" has, at least to some extent. Since Chess960's rules don't allow for alternating pre-placement, then if you are going to have a "Chess960" tournament it would seem proper to follow the rules of "Chess960" and not some other variant.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
        Last week the Annex Chess Club had a lecture by Michael Sutton on chess960, details published:

http://annexchessclub.com/

This Monday night they're having a Chess960 tournament, all invited. I think that a Chess960 active tournament can't be CFC-rated.

Has there ever been a chess960 tournament in Canada before? Or is this the first?
        there have been any number of them. There was one at one of the GPOs as a side event (although only 2 registered). The RA club used to have them as part of the regular schedule (~20-25 playing) although that doesn't seem to be true any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
          Such a system was invented decades ago and some articles were written about it calling it "pre-chess" if my memory serves me well. For some reason it did not catch on, whereas the modified version of Fischer's variant now known as "Chess960" has, at least to some extent. Since Chess960's rules don't allow for alternating pre-placement, then if you are going to have a "Chess960" tournament it would seem proper to follow the rules of "Chess960" and not some other variant.
          Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Of course the tournament is a Chess960 event and should follow the proper rules for that format. I was referring to the general case of having players think for themselves from the very start.

From the article written by Mr. Sutton at Chess Annex:

"...During the recent world championship, Vishwanathan Anand had a bank of six grandmasters. Veselin Topalov relied on a 128-node CPU for analyzing opening positions. It often seemed that the player to lose was the first one to go off book analysis. This to my mind is not chess. ..."

If people are interested in having players start thinking for themselves early, why wait for them to start thinking at move 1? Why not move -8?
          ;-)
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            I ran a couple at the Mississauga Chess Club.

The most remarkable thing about them was how quickly the middlegames resemble normal chess games.

Comment

I was referring to the general case of having players think for themselves from the very start.
              Well, this is not a thread about that. Maybe you would like to start another on your preferred topic?

Comment

Well, this is not a thread about that. Maybe you would like to start another on your preferred topic?
                From the original post, first sentence:

"Last week the Annex Chess Club had a lecture by Michael Sutton on chess960, details published:

http://annexchessclub.com/"

My comment was about the lecture (or at least the commentary on the Annex Club site, which seems to be some/all of the lecture), not about the tournament.

Comment

... if you are going to have a "Chess960" tournament it would seem proper to follow the rules of "Chess960" and not some other variant.
                  The first game starts at position # 36. Do you know if that is proper
                  Chess960?

Comment

From the original post, first sentence:
                    From the thread title, which had to be entered before the first sentence: "Chess960 tournament".

Comment

I'll sleep better at night safe in the knowledge that Sheriff Ed is patrolling the internet. Thanks and goodnight. ;-)

Comment

Re : Re: Chess960 tournament

If people are interested in having players start thinking for themselves early, why wait for them to start thinking at move 1? Why not move -8?
                        ;-)
                        Tom,
                        Don't you think that chess is demanding enough as it is ? If pre-chess or 960 chess or whatever is about people thinking for themselves earlier, it is condemned to sure death. Most people, even among chess players, dislike to think by themselves if they can avoid it.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess960 tournament

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          If pre-chess or 960 chess or whatever is about people thinking for themselves earlier...
                          Two senses of "earlier":

Earlier in each game. (yes)
                          Earlier as in months or years of opening preparation before a tournament game. (no)

Comment

Pre-announcing the position is perhaps a good idea for getting people to participate in a new format. For a fun club night, why not?

But if the goal is to avoid computer enhanced booking up before the game, this defeats the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                              I ran a couple at the Mississauga Chess Club.

The most remarkable thing about them was how quickly the middlegames resemble normal chess games.
                              Thanks for telling me of the previous tournaments at the RA and Mississauga CCs.

Many of the games had pawn attacks such as c4-d4-e4-f4, but the piece coordination was difficult. Still, general opening principles still applied.

The middlegames weren't quite normal because delaying castling could switch the king from g8 to c8, pieces committed to a Kingside attack were misplaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X