Questions on CDN OPEN FLYER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on CDN OPEN FLYER

I picked up the CDN OPEN flyer at the Hart House event last weekend.
    I have four questions and probably more as times progress.

1. Why do we need to bring our own clock when clocks were provided last year?
    You'll have more trouble with players as all clocks will not be standardized.
    I know my clock has a few things that you have to do if you want to pause it and I'm not sure how to set time penalties. Not to mention that the Arbiter and helpers would have to learn about many models of clocks.
    Sounds like to me that because the Junior Tournament in Richmond Hill
    may be using the clocks on the same day as the start of the Cdn Open
    that the CDN OPEN will not have enough clocks available.
    Was this an oversight?

2. Why is there sections of U 2000 and U1600 would not an U2000 and U1700 been a fairer rating break?

3. If a player gets burn out say around Rd 5 and has not indicated that they wanted a bye for Rd 6 in advance, will they still get a 1/2 point bye for Rd. 6 or a 0 pt bye if they have to take a bye in Rd 6. I'm indicating that when the player joined the event they did not know they would have burn out. I'm also indicating that the player with burn out does not have a score that could give them an advantage in the tournament. For me I would consider a 0 pt bye if that 1/2 bye would increase the player's chance for a better standing.
    What is the ruling on a Six Round Bye if not indicated in advance.

4. Last year the table seating was asked for in advance at the closing supper
    and yet some people did not sit with their friends as the organizers changed some of the seating.
    Now this time if we join a table in advance for dinner are the organizers going to switch us around?

Re: Questions on CDN OPEN FLYER

On the website it says that clocks can be rented for $2 per game. It's not clear how that works... presumably neither player has brought a clock... $1 each? How about if either or both players refused to pay the rent?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      On the website it says that clocks can be rented for $2 per game. It's not clear how that works... presumably neither player has brought a clock... $1 each? How about if either or both players refused to pay the rent?
      maybe if you brought your clock and your opponent didn't, you should charge him a dollar? :-)

If he refuses, discover a defect with your clock, have to share renting a clock after all. If he coughs up $0.75, presto your clock recovers from it's defect.....

Comment

David Cohen posted a reply on the CFC board http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...?t=1296&page=3
        Last edited by John Coleman; Tuesday, 21st December, 2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          2. Why is there sections of U 2000 and U1600 would not an U2000 and U1700 been a fairer rating break?
          You should ask them to make a section between 1619 and 1621... then rethink why you play chess.

Comment

Hi Stuart
            I was thinking of a 300 points break. I was not thinking about my rating.
            When a match is played they want ratings to be no greater than a 350 rating point difference. The way I'm playing these days I may be under 1600 by July anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              2. Why is there sections of U 2000 and U1600?
              This could make additional prizes for U1800 and U1400 (or smth) :)

Comment

What is this Tournament Playing Fee - $20 adult or $10 junior?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
                  What is this Tournament Playing Fee - $20 adult or $10 junior?
                  Probably, the charge for playing without CFC membership

Which they may not allow if you're a past member.

Comment

Working...
                  X