Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamilton Winter Open 2011

Hello everyone, :)

I will be present at the 2011 Hamilton Winter Open weekend to accept early bird registration of $150.00 for 2011 U20 Canadian Junior Chess Championship. Cash and cheques will both be accepted. Please take advantage of this opportunity to save $50.00 from regular entry fee.

BUMP for 2011 Hamilton Winter Open!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
      Hi, is it possible to fide-rate this event? thanks,
      If our events can consistently reach lets say 100 players we would consider fide rating them. But it would take a year or so to see if that's happening.

Because we end up paying 5 dollars a person instead of 3 for ratings you should also consider if you prefer your money going to ratings instead of the prize fund.

There are other questions it would be nice to get input on from the stronger players. For example, should our open section become a section only people either 1900 or 2000 and over can play in?

In the last year or two we've had an interesting phenomenon happen, where experts have become the largest group playing in our events. Even a larger group than Class A. So I definitely want to get their opinion on where to take the open section in future events.

Comment

Experts being the largest group is something that we also witnessed at the recently completed KW Winter Open. Both the fact of an under 2100 section and playing up limited to a 100 points below meant for a much more competitive Open section and a much more competitive under 2100. (and the masters I spoke with were much happier not playing A class players) Our open section had 20! players and was our biggest section by far.

Comment

Only 10 days till the event.
          A reminder to our regulars, this is a new location. :)

To register please sent email to chesshamilton@gmail.com
          by March 25th to get the $5 discount.

I see only 32 registered as of today, but we are expecting about 70 players.
          Don't miss it.
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 16th March, 2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

We have more players to add to the preregistered list, people who have indicated they will play, but have not sent an email to confirm yet.

Please email chesshamilton@gmail.com

We want to add your name. Others will follow. :)

Comment

I know I've mentioned this elsewhere but I'd like to remind everyone to please bring their boards and digital clocks - Just in case.

Comment

Great news. I am very pleased to announce GM Wesley So (fide 2667) will be playing at the Hamilton Winter Open.

That's two GM's folks - it should be quite a show! :D

Comment

Great news

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Great news. I am very pleased to announce GM Wesley So (fide 2667) will be playing at the Hamilton Winter Open.

Yes, that is spectacular news... might make up for 3 games on Saturday (!)
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

That's fantastic, I can't wait to see Bator vs So just so I can see the difference between a super-gm and a regular one.
                    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

If Bators CFC rating is 2718, then Wesley should be assigned at least 2850 CFC for this tournament, its only fair :-)

(I'm serious)

We won't make Wesley So sit at board 2 for round 1 of Hamilton Open right?

Comment

Great job guys,

I must admit that when it was initially suggested suggested that you try and get him to play, I thought it was something daydream-- even with the free soup.

In retrospect, GM So's willingness to play is likely due in no small part to this event not being Fide rated-- something to consider.

Comment

CFC Ratings vs FIDE Ratings

FIDE Rating list of March 1st, 2011 (Players Active since 2007)
                          For Players CFC 2200+ (169 players): FIDE = CFC - 91.9

So add 92 to 2667 (FIDE rating) to get the CFC rating of 2759

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                            CFC Ratings vs FIDE Ratings

FIDE Rating list of March 1st, 2011 (Players Active since 2007)
                            For Players CFC 2200+ (169 players): FIDE = CFC - 91.9

So add 92 to 2667 (FIDE rating) to get the CFC rating of 2759
                            I think this is what we should do as well.
                            University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

It's clear the kid should be seeded #1, but other then that we do not need a specific rating for him.

The rating conversion formula is extremely crude, and should not really be considered accurate.

I think it would be more appropriate to arbitrarily seed him 1st, then only after the event publish a rating (equal to his performance).
                              Presuming all estimated cfc rating for So are higher then Sambuev's, there will be no difference in the resultant pairings, regardless of whether the estimate is 2719 or 2900.

Further more, using this method will result in more rational changes in the ratings of his opponents.

Comment

Now that you have two GM's coming will John Hebert show as well?

Kerry are you on the Pre-registered list as well. I joined last week.

Hope this new news of GM's will bring in some old friends as wells.

Comment

Working...
                                X