Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamilton Winter Open 2011

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    Public Transportation is always a big plus for any tournament to pool more participation. As well as a place to eat that is within walking distance.

If I did not have a friend to travel with this time. I probably could not attend this one easily. Right now if that friend is still going, then I'll be there.
    There is a #43 Stonechurch bus you can take from downtown Hamilton; runs every 30 mins, stops at 7pm. It takes almost an hour to take you by the playing site according to its scheduele. It does not run on Sunday. http://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices/...rentSchedules/

The other bus #44 Rymal that passes by next closest does not run on Saturday or Sunday.

These are probably the two best motel/hotel bets http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...otelCode=yhmex or http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...yard-hamilton/

They are not that close; there are some divier cheaper places also not that close such as the Red Rose or Pine but you couldn't pay me to stay in any of those.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 19th February, 2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
      Hey Garvin,

I'm not sure if I am going to play in this one, but it looks like an enjoyable tournament to consider. Could you notify me of the new location?

Zach Dukic
      Saltfleet High School is the newest high school in the area so its a pretty nice building. This includes an interesting sitting area outside the cafeteria we will be playing in.

It is located on 108 Highland Road West, which you get to by just taking highway 20 (Centennial Parkway N) exit from the QEW. Just go straight up the mountain until you reach Highland Road then turn right. For people coming from Niagara region the drive will be shorter than it was to downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
        :DFOOD
        There is Turtle Jacks Muskoka Grill and Shawarma Hut in the same plaza as Boston Pizza! It is walking distance from school. This area offers variety for everyone. If you have a large group of people that wants to eat, analyze and talk this place is for you. :D Looking to get a quick pita on the go - Shawarma Hut is your place. :). There is also SUBWAY at 1775 Stone Church E, Hamilton, 5 min driving. TIM HORTONS, other restaurants, gas stations are 5 min away on car on Mud Street West. Easy access from Upper Centennial Parkway. :D

PARKING
        Besides school parking there is lots of parking around school. Saltfleet Secondary School is located in residential area.

Thank you Bob! Another BUMP for 2011 Hamilton Winter Open.:D

If Jean comes plenty of options for the free soup we've offered him.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already but Eastgate Square is about a 5-10 minute drive away.

It is one of the major malls in the Hamilton area.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
            Saltfleet High School is the newest high school in the area so its a pretty nice building. This includes an interesting sitting area outside the cafeteria we will be playing in.

It is located on 108 Highland Road West, which you get to by just taking highway 20 (Centennial Parkway N) exit from the QEW. Just go straight up the mountain until you reach Highland Road then turn right. For people coming from Niagara region the drive will be shorter than it was to downtown.
            Thanks Garvin, I know how to get there because right by there is the saltfleet soccer field, and saltfleet was in our division. Thanks for the details looks like it will be a luxurious tournament as well!

Comment

Umm... why am I on the pre-reg list? Mikhail Egorov just talked to me about the tournament this weekend, I didn't even know about it till then and I'm not even sure if I'm going. Can I be taken off? Also my name is spelled wrong, please and thank you.
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

If Jean comes plenty of options for the free soup we've offered him.
                You are definitely CFC president material.

Comment

Hi Zeljko

We have the same problem in Brampton. Mon - Fri there are lots of buses going near the Schools but when the weekend comes some of those buses don't run or they take 1 hr to get to the destination.

I think this should be a heads up for Organizers who want to take advantage
                  of the cheaper rates of High School facilities. However they should chose a location that anyone can get to without always car pooling.

NOTE For the future:
                  I don't drive so if I have no friends going to an out of town tournament and I cannot get there by public transportation then I don't even consider going.

I guess on a funny note if John Brown can't get to the tournament then how many others are you going to lose as entries.

Maximize your pool of players don't segregate the non drivers.

Comment

I just want to remind everyone that the registration time is 9:00 am Saturday March 26.

The posting on chess.ca only shows the first round time 9:30am. But you need to confirm your registration before you get paired.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      You are definitely CFC president material.
                      Believe me Jean, I am too smart to ever take that job!

Oh sorry Bob..

Comment

Believe me Jean, I am too smart to ever take that job!

Oh sorry Bob..
                        Maybe Bob is smart enough to not want that job...

Just imagine: a volunteer position where you get to devote almost all of your time pleasing no one and just treading water and dancing on the head of a pin.

The line forms to the right, wait - no it doesn't!
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks Garvin and Kerry. I am reminded of this country and western classic.:D
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            Thanks Garvin and Kerry. I am reminded of this country and western classic.:D
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24
                            speaking of Westen

Marshall Bob you done know what you were a doin' when you a pinned that tin star on your chest, you a knew being CFC Pres would have a lot of quick draws gunning for a ya, so get on with 'er and get 'er done fast or end up on boot hill, lucky for you they can't a shoot straighter than a knight moves- just in case though I'll be leavin' that trusty old steed Resignation out back for ya
                            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th February, 2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Hi, is it possible to fide-rate this event? thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
                                Hi, is it possible to fide-rate this event? thanks,
                                Sorry, no. To fide-rate an event you need to register the event with FIDE 6 weeks in advance.

We have not perceived much demand for fide ratings at our Hamilton weekenders. However, the Hamilton crew is fide-rating our bigger project this year, the Ontario Open. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X