X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamilton Winter Open 2011

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to thank Garvin Nunes, Bob Gillanders, Gordon Gooding & Mikhail Egorov (sorry if I missed someone) for the smoothly-ran event. Hamilton hadn't worked for me in the past and I am glad I went this time.

Neat feature with the demo-boards beside the top 3 matches. Organizers, players and spectators keenly joined in updating the moves from the boards to the demos, for the rest of the hall to follow. Great on the organizers' part to have been able to get Wesley So to play. Always in good spirits, Wesley entertained all comers with blitz and game analyzes throughout the tournament.

Congrats to Bator Sambuev for yet another 5-0 sweep! Mowing down the 'opposition' in style. In my amateur evaluation, something seemed to have gone wrong at some point in the game against Noritsyn, but it got turned around. Bator's games seem to always be very spectator-friendly, it'd be awesome to replay through the last 3 rounds, hopefully the organizers will post games.
    As for Sambuev's rating, I don't understand. Wesley So was attributed a higher rating based on FIDE conversion, fine. Granted there was only one game between them, but it's the data we have.
    Has someone considered the possibility of Sambuev being underrated with FIDE? Is a 2500 rated player supposed to beat up on local 2400s this regularly? When we say 2700 is too high, this is based on what? He'll probably reach a new high now. When someone consistently scores 5/5, who's to say that 2500, 2700 or 3000 is correct or not? It seems hard to make comparisons when someone is just a class above everyone else.

Thanks again, those who made the event possible,

Alex Ferreira
    Thanks for your support and enthusiasm

Comment

Does anyone have the gamescore for the Sambuev-So game?

Comment

I nearly forgot. I would like to thank the Peel Chess Club for all their help.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
          Does anyone have the gamescore for the Sambuev-So game?
          Carbons were handed out to (AFAIK) all the boards in the Open section. Mikhail E. collected them and will post when he's finished.

Comment

Thanks for organizing Garvin.

I played 2 blitz games against Wesley So afterwards, that was pretty cool.

Comment

I'm sorry I ended up not being able to make this event, but there is a page showing the final standings yet?

Thanks, Zach

Comment

Sambuev taking down a super-gm is huge, I can only wonder what his Fide rating would be if he went back into international tournaments(I definitely think his Fide is underrated)

This was a fantastic tournament, and despite me playing some of the worse chess I've ever played(I can't believe I finished with 50%, it should have been like 0.5/5) it was highly enjoyable and I can't wait until the next Hamilton tournament.
                University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                  I'm sorry I ended up not being able to make this event, but there is a page showing the final standings yet?

Thanks, Zach
                  I will post a tournament report, some photos and tables for all sections within a few days.

I would also ask that all those who took photos please post your photos or links to them in this thread.

Comment

Hi Garvin;

A Great event, well run and most of all you got two GM's to attend (fantastic).

You can always count on the PEEL Guys to move chairs set up boards and of course clean up and transport the stuff to your final destination. That is what we do best. We will always help organizers at their tournaments, all they gotta do is ask.

I'll be at the Ontario Open for sure and hope to play in the Summer Hamilton Open.

I only had one complaint. I never got enough coffee ;-). The pot was always empty when I went for a fix.
                    Last edited by John Brown; Monday, 28th March, 2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Re: Hamilton Winter Open 2011

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                      Hi Garvin;

A Great event, well run and most of all you got two GM's to attend (fantastic).

You can always count on the PEEL Guys to move chairs set up boards and of course clean up and transport the stuff to your final destination. That is what we do best. We will always help organizers at their tournaments, all they gotta do is ask.

I'll be at the Ontario Open for sure and hope to play in the Summer Hamilton Open.

I only had one complaint. I never got enough coffee ;-). The pot was always empty when I went for a fix.
                      That's odd, I always got plenty when I went to fill 'er up. :):)

Comment

Maybe that's why I never got any. lol

Comment

While I work on the tournament report here are a complete set of standings and wall charts.

To see them please visit the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/68ojkfx

The above page is in a JPEG format so you may need to click on it to magnify it.

(I thought I had posted this 12 hours ago, but I guess I didn't press a button or something)
                          Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Tuesday, 29th March, 2011, 11:33 AM. Reason: shorten url

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                            While I work on the tournament report here are a complete set of standings and wall charts.

http://chess.servegame.com/hamilton/...011Results.jpg

The above page is in a JPEG format so you may need to click on it to magnify it.

(I thought I had posted this 12 hours ago, but I guess I didn't press a button or something)
                            Looks the link of jpg not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post

that link doesn't work for me (404 error)

Try cutting and pasting this:

<text>http://chess.servegame.com/hamilton/e107_files/events/2011/HamiltonWinterOpen2011Results.jpg</text>

or click here.
                              Last edited by John Upper; Monday, 28th March, 2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Video 1

Video 2

Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X