Dates: February 12-13, 2011
    Place: Rm 332, Guelph University Centre
    Rds: 5
    Times: 10am, 1:30pm, 6pm, 10am, 2pm
    Type: Swiss
    TC: G/90 + 30 sec inc
    EF: $60
    Prizes: $250 guaranteed for first place
    Reg: email registration to chess@uoguelph.ca.
    Misc: All equipment provided by organizer. CFC and FIDE rated.

Re: 2011 Ontario Junior Championship

Current Canadian U12 Champion, Terry Song, has signed on to join the fray! Who's next? ;)

Comment

Current Champion of Ontario, Michael Kleinman, has now tacked his name on too. Who is willing to join Terry in working to prevent Michael from holding both the Ontario Junior Championship and Ontario Championship titles at the same time?

Comment

Freshly-crowned Expert, Adam Cormier, sounds excited to join the struggle. Guelphite, Corin Schneider, is also on the list. Who will join them?

Comment

Roman Sapozhnikov has decided to come butt heads with M. Kleinman. Any more takers?

Comment

Games attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

More games.

Comment

A game.....

Comment

What are the standings?

Comment

This year's event was a 5-player round robin, contested by Sapozhnikov, Kleinman, Cormier, Song and Schneider. Unfortunately, entering into the tail end of the 2nd round, Schneider withdrew from the event. As a result, Sapozhnikov was done the tournament as of round 3 and left on the GO bus early this morning. If he is reading this, my congratulations go out to him on snagging the $400 first prize (your cheque will be in the mail tomorrow)!

A number of guests stopped by over the course of the weekend, including Mikhail Egorov and Kai Gauer. Most encouraging, however, was a gentlemen that drove in from Acton to see the event first-hand. He had come across an advertisement somewhere on the Internet and thought the tournament might be worth seeing. He mentioned that he loves reading Lawrence Day's column in the paper and that he plays chess with his brothers from time to time, but he was completely unaware of the chess community and how to become engaged in it. From his perspective, he questioned why we don't put tournament advertisements in the paper (even locally), as it seemed to him we might manage a few hits. Food for thought, perhaps, but, for the time being (and at his request), I have provided him with contact information for the Guelph Chess Club.

Getting back to the tournament itself, in the final round, Kleinman vs. Cormier featured a Closed Sicilian. Eager to secure the draw, Cormier made offers on moves 1 and 21, both of which were declined. On move 26, Kleinman saw the error in his ways and made his own offer, which Adam accepted in record time. In the post-mortem, both players agreed that Cormier stood better, but Adam didn't want to press his luck with a FIDE rating egg in hand. With this, Roman Sapozhnikov becomes the Ontario Junior Champion and Michael Kleinman finishes a close second. As for Cormier, as mentioned, with a 1/3 score against FIDE-rated opposition, he adds another egg to his 9-game requirement (he will now stand at 6 games). Though small, this event was hotly contested and a pleasure to be a part of. Now, I will wait and see whether Roman manages to take the Canadian title later this year!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
                      This year's event was a 5-player round robin, contested by Sapozhnikov, Kleinman, Cormier, Song and Schneider. Unfortunately, entering into the tail end of the 2nd round, Schneider withdrew from the event. As a result, Sapozhnikov was done the tournament as of round 3 and left on the GO bus early this morning. If he is reading this, my congratulations go out to him on snagging the $400 first prize (your cheque will be in the mail tomorrow)!....

Though small, this event was hotly contested and a pleasure to be a part of. Now, I will wait and see whether Roman manages to take the Canadian title later this year!
                      Michael,

How do you explan the poor turnout for this event?

Who absorbs the loss?

Larry

Comment

Larry,

I don't necessarily equate a small turnout with a poor turnout. Ontario's #3 junior player was the top seed and played against reasonable competition. The fact the tournament wasn't 20-strong with an average rating of 1700 doesn't greatly concern me, as, in the end, we have a champion that 1) was challenged and 2) does not stand out as being otherwise undeserving. If you would prefer further discussion, I would invite you (and any other interested party) to contact me privately.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X