X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More Benefits of a CFC membership

I've made the benefits a bulleted list:
    Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    What benefits do I get as a member of the C.F.C.?

When you become a member of the CFC:
    • You join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess.
    • The CFC represents Canada to the world as a member of FIDE, the international chess body. The CFC sends teams to the Chess Olympiad, World Youth Chess Championship, and other major international events.
    • The CFC holds national championships (including the Canadian Open, Canadian Youth Chess Championship, Canadian Closed, Canadian Women’s Championship) to showcase Canadian talent.
    • The CFC website keeps players informed on what happening including tournament listings, tournament reports and news items, listings of local chess clubs, and so much more. Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada.
    • As a member, you are welcomed at CFC events across Canada, including national tournaments, weekend swiss’s, and local club tournaments.

Other benefits of membership include:
    • A national CFC chess rating,
    • Subscription to Chess Canada online magazine (watch website for 1st issue),
    • And discount prices at the CFC online store.
    I would add to above:
    • The CFC can forward event results to FIDE to be rated internationally and Canadian players can receive titles like International Master.
    • A benefit of national ratings is that gives a rough comparision when meeting another player.
    • A way to expand your chess activities, including debating on chess forums

Other benefits:
    • Information for organizers on how to run a tournament.
    • Playing and tournament rules.
    • With your name on a rating list you become part of the historic record of chess in Canada.

What has been missing from the CFC is marketing chess and promotional events "to help ensure chess prospers in Canada." The CFC does not have a presence in the media, schools or recreation centres.
    Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Monday, 22nd September, 2008, 05:57 PM. Reason: bullets

Comment

Re: More Benefits of a CFC membership

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten and Bob Gillanders
      [1]The CFC can forward event results to FIDE to be rated internationally and Canadian players can receive titles like International Master.
      [2]A benefit of national ratings is that gives a rough comparision when meeting another player.
      [3]A way to expand your chess activities, including debating on chess forums
      Other benefits:
      [4]Information for organizers on how to run a tournament.
      [5]Playing and tournament rules.
      [6]With your name on a rating list you become part of the historic record of chess in Canada.

When you become a member of the CFC:

[7]You join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess.
      [8]The CFC represents Canada to the world as a member of FIDE, the international chess body. The CFC sends teams to the Chess Olympiad, World Youth Chess Championship, and other major international events.
      [9]The CFC holds national championships (including the Canadian Open, Canadian Youth Chess Championship, Canadian Closed, Canadian Women’s Championship) to showcase Canadian talent.
      [10]The CFC website keeps players informed on what happening including tournament listings, tournament reports and news items, listings of local chess clubs, and so much more. Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada.
      [11]As a member, you are welcomed at CFC events across Canada, including national tournaments, weekend swiss’s, and local club tournaments.

Other benefits of membership include:

[12]See 2
      [13]Subscription to Chess Canada online magazine (watch website for 1st issue),
      [14]And discount prices at the CFC online store.
      (1) don't care. (2) but I still pay for each tournament (3) I don't need a membership to do that.
      (4) I already know how. (5) FIDE defines the rules. (6) meh
      (7) Fraternity? You mean this forum?
      (8) I'll contribute $1 to the cause. (9) never been there.
      (10) CFC site is terrible. I go to the Toronto clubs for info.
      (11) Yay. If there were no CFC, I'd still be welcome I suspect.
      (13) $5 (14) meh. I usually buy on site.

So to me, the CFC membership is worth $10. Why am I paying $45?

Comment

Working...
      X