Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpscc 2011

Hi all,

This event never gets old! Best atmosphere :)
    A big thanks to all the organizers of this event, particularly Neal Pan & Iulia Lacau-Rodean of Waterloo, and Michael von Keitz of Guelph. Arbiter Hal Bond always ensures the event takes place in the highest professionalism and no problems occur. Kuddos to Kai Gauer for games and photos.

Next year, University of Western Ontario will be host.

Congratulations University of Waterloo!
    Hosts UW took both section prizes, sweeping at least the top section.
    Always a contender, they had Kevin Chung, Avinaash Sundar, Iulia Lacau-Rodean & Neal Pan.

At the top section, University of Toronto took second place. Returning from a couple years absence, McGill was clear third.

A University of Toronto View:

Bindi Cheng led the team and took the best Board 1 prize, with an impressive 3.5/4 -- Haizhou Xu scored 3.0/4 and took the same medal on tie-breaks. Jon Yu returned to chess with a good showing, whereas I... blundered.

Our B team was composed of 5 players, with an alternate. Stuart Brammall, Robert Kleinman, Adrienne Todd, Siang Khor & Abeer Rahman. At the bottom of the seeding on the A section, they gave all comers a challenge, with some good individual scalps

Some of us just never learn. Hart House Chess Club Friday until midnight, 'dinner' until 2am, trying to convince Rob Roller to participate until 3am, getting home some time after that, and catching the bus at 7am.

Off the Board:

Many of us ended up going to the famous Bobby O' Brian's pub / restaurant just across City Hall, after the Saturday games. Half-price appetizers, all kinds of platters, interesting people, and awesome stories. Few chess specifics were discussed, a breath of fresh air when away at a tournament.
    However at some point, several of us participated in a conversation regarding the misuse of 'chess lingo' in real life situations, completely inappropriately.
    And how you can describe almost any situation using this diseased language.
    A post-grad student even commented on how after proof-reading an essay, chess lingo had to be removed before submitting it.

Most teams stayed at the Walper Terrace Hotel in Kitchener.
    I must say many guests at the hotel were louder than this tournament's participants. The hotel seemed like a party all weekend. No complaints there.
    Having one of the biggest rooms at the Walper (though I must say most are quite roomy), UT invited everyone to join us in post pub hours for more socializing over drinks and bughouse. Joining us were members of the Waterloo, Ottawa, Carleton, Queens & Guelph Universities. Some people may have fallen asleep well after 4am.

During a brief escapade from the hotel party, a few of us went in search of an open convenience store in downtown Kitchener. No luck. However, the downtown was well alive. Many special characters could be encountered, and making new friends was not a problem.

The below deserve mention:

Sorely Missed: (by Michael von Keitz, Andrew McMillan & Christian Stevens): Rob Roller
    Missed: Benjamin Davidson, Johnny Hsiao, Amir Ghandari, Travis Li
    Sore: Tyler Longo, Bindi Cheng
    Best represented team where mattered: Ottawa
    Best bar tan: Bindi Cheng
    Most interactive with the locals: Adie Todd
    Best dressed in pink: John Mangold
    Winner of the Travis Li "I have a game tomorrow" award: Gold by Jon. Yu, Silver Michael von Keitz, Bronze Dingchao Zhang. -- Top seed Jonathan Farine was disqualified on a technicality.
    Best chess set misplaced by: Tyler Longo

Best story to convince Rob to come (by Andy): Rob, think of the look on the eyes of a three-legged dog. The sense of pity the world has for it. That is University of Toronto. You can make that dog whole.

Thank you all for a memorable event!

Alex Ferreira

Re: Cpscc 2011

Best Lie:
    Stuart: "Bindi barfed all night long,"
    Bindi: "Ya this is why I smell like alcohol and I feel terrible"
    Moral of the story is I have never barfed while intoxicated otherwise I'll feel pinky fresh and not dizzy while standing up the next day
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I don't know what "sore" means in that one context, but I have always considered Bindi Cheng and Tyler Longo to be nearly identical people. It is nice to see this belief confirmed scientifically.

Comment

Oh my gosh you have my set don't you.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
          Winner of the Travis Li "I have a game tomorrow" award: Gold by Jon. Yu, Silver Michael von Keitz, Bronze Dingchao Zhang. -- Top seed Jonathan Farine was disqualified on a technicality.
          Hey now! I had to face Abeer the next morning! :( As far as a U of T perspective goes, it seems she deserves special mention for her win over McGill's board 4. By the way, the rest of the Guelph A team was already in bed when we got back to the hotel, so it would appear that Zaghi, Clark and Stevens jointly deserve the silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
            Hey now! I had to face Abeer the next morning! :( As far as a U of T perspective goes, it seems she deserves special mention for her win over McGill's board 4. By the way, the rest of the Guelph A team was already in bed when we got back to the hotel, so it would appear that Zaghi, Clark and Stevens jointly deserve the silver.
            Ah that explains how Christian beat me... he must have prepped.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
              Absolutely :) Abeer was outrated by some 800 points and playing calm, cool and collected brought home a nice scalp!

MvK, as for the roommates being already asleep, sounds like a cheese excuse :-)

Comment

Epic post, Alex.

Makes me rather jealous I missed it though. I was considering signing up for a half year course in January just for show, and then I'd drop it after the cpscc, just to qualify...

But knowing me, I'd forget to drop it

Comment

Aww Geordie, u did miss out indeed! Alex, that was one fantastic post, made my day at work!! I particularly agree with the ratings for "best dressed in pink" but don't understand why John Farine was disqualified on a technicality for "I have a game tomorrow". Oh, now that I'm typing it, I think I rmbr the story. And why is Tyler splitting the first price for "Sore" with Bindi? I thought Bindi was clear winner there....
                  Btw, never heard the story how Adie interacted with the locals that Saturday night after I drove off...

Lots of myths to be disspelled at the next gettogether and new stories to be written next year in Kingston! I hope we rmbr this year's awards and will keep it a tradition to announce them next year too!

All the best,

iulia

Comment

Originally posted by Iulia Lacau-Rodean View Post
                    Lots of myths to be disspelled at the next gettogether and new stories to be written next year in Kingston!
                    I thought it was Western next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
                      I sure hope it it cause I'm not running it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iulia Lacau-Rodean View Post
                        And why is Tyler splitting the first price for "Sore" with Bindi? I thought Bindi was clear winner there....
                        It's cause he loves me.

Comment

Shhhhh... Don't tell her... It would only help us if she were in Kingston next year during the event. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
                            Maybe they are splitting hosting duties. Western does the first day and Queen's the second.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Abrahams View Post
                              Maybe they are splitting hosting duties. Western does the first day and Queen's the second.
                              ... sponsored by Abrahams Airlines

Comment

Working...
                              X