bed-n-breakfast for Ottawa weekenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bed-n-breakfast for Ottawa weekenders

For a few years now, some of the local players (and/or their parents) periodically offer visiting players the chance to stay at their place for the weekend. I think more people would be into that, both locals hosting and visitors staying, if we organized some billeting.

I would just love someone else to prime this, but until then, let me take a shot at it. First of all, I figure it might reduce any uncomfortableness to just set a standard daily rate. For example, would $30 a night, for a place to sleep, breakfast, maybe other meals, be right?

I could maintain a list of interested local people, and when a visiting player indicates that they would be interested in a B-n-B, I would send that email address to my list of locals, who would be free to decide to offer their place for that particular weekend. I am phrasing it this way, because I can easily see how for some families, some weekends would work, but others just wouldn't. For the latter, they would just ignore the notice from myself.

Besides saving money for travelling players, and making money for hosting players, I really believe this would be a great way to add some camaraderie and tradition to our events! :)

Please note that the poll options are split up for travelling players and local players, as they might understandably have a different view of what price point would be just right.

I am especially interested in hearing from potential travelling players whose primary reason for not coming to Ottawa has been the lodging expense, location, etc. Please note that this doesn't just apply to people coming from Toronto, for example. At most of our events, some players without a car who live just outside central Ottawa, stay with another player who is closer to the site. They seem to have good times sharing their chess weekend! :)
    I am a travelling player, and I find $30 too low.
    0.00%
    I am a travelling player, and I find $30 just right.
    66.67%
    I am a travelling player, and I find $30 too high.
    16.67%
    I am a hosting player, and I find $30 too low.
    0.00%
    I am a hosting player, and I find $30 just right.
    8.33%
    I am a hosting player, and I find $30 too high.
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: bed-n-breakfast for Ottawa weekenders

To travel to Ottawa would demand it be a longer tournament. That would mean several nights. And at $100/night in a hotel, that's an expensive tournament. A 30$ BnB would be much nicer.

This especially applies to the Canadian Open (in Toronto?). 8 hotel nights is a lot to cover.

Comment

Hi again, after some initial voting, $30 seems to be a decent standard rate, but I would love to see some more voting, especially from potential hosts in the Ottawa area. To reiterate, if you offer to potentially host, you are not committed to anything, you would just be providing me with your email address. Then when travelling players apply to for a chess B-n-B, I would send a BCC email to all of my potential hosts, with the travelling player's name, rating, and special personal things like smoker, vegetarian, etc. Then if a potential host is interested, they email the applying travelling player directly. And there is no need to haggle over money, as we are establishing a standard rate, probably $30 per person per night of stay. Ideally though, I would like to see more votes from hosts!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
        $30 seems to be a decent standard rate
        A good initiative. Especially if a B&B was within a walking distance, a 30$ would be a bargain :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          A good initiative. Especially if a B&B was within a walking distance, a 30$ would be a bargain :D
          Well, when staying with a player going to the same tournament, you could also carpool!

Comment

Here in Toronto, I offer furnsihed accomodation for $ 25 per night. No breakfast. Is there some rooms in Ottawa for $ 25 per night? This would make Ottawa tournaments more attractive. Just MHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
              Here in Toronto, I offer furnsihed accomodation for $ 25 per night. No breakfast. Is there some rooms in Ottawa for $ 25 per night? This would make Ottawa tournaments more attractive. Just MHO.
              Hi Erwin, thanks for your input, please vote on it. Offhand to me, $25 without breakfast seems approximately equivalent to $30 with breakfast, the hanging out together, etc.

Anyway, please keep voting. I'm still looking for more votes from potential hosts! :)

Comment

Hi again, after some more voting, $30 seems to be a decent standard rate, but I would love to see some more voting, especially from potential hosts in the Ottawa area. To reiterate, if you offer to potentially host, you are not committed to anything, you would just be providing me with your email address. Then when travelling players apply to for a chess B-n-B, I would send a BCC email to all of my potential hosts, with the travelling player's name, rating, and special personal things like smoker, vegetarian, etc. Then if a potential host is interested, they email the applying travelling player directly. And there is no need to haggle over money, as we are establishing a standard rate, probably $30 per person per night of stay. Ideally though, I would like to see more votes from hosts!

Comment

last day to vote

Hi again, after some more voting, $30 seems to be a decent standard rate, but I would love to see some more voting, especially from potential hosts in the Ottawa area. To reiterate, if you offer to potentially host, you are not committed to anything, you would just be providing me with your email address. Then when travelling players apply to for a chess B-n-B, I would send a BCC email to all of my potential hosts, with the travelling player's name, rating, and special personal things like smoker, vegetarian, etc. Then if a potential host is interested, they email the applying travelling player directly. And there is no need to haggle over money, as we are establishing a standard rate, probably $30 per person per night of stay. Ideally though, I would like to see more votes from Ottawa hosts!

Comment

Working...
                  X