Clear All

• East Toronto Pre-Qualifiers for 2011 CYCC

East Toronto Pre-Qualifiers for 2011 CYCC

Email (for registration): philipmathchess@yahoo.ca
    Format: 5 rounds Swiss
    Time Control: 30 min SD
    Tie Breaks: 5min SD
    CFC rated
    Prizes: CFC medals for the first three places.
    Entry Fee: $40 ($6 paid to CFC)register 3 days before the event date $50 on site
    Free refreshments are available
    Parents can drop off earlier and pick up later. Microwave is available to heat lunch.

- U08 Boys &Girls
    Monday, Mar. 14, March Break

- U10 Boys &Girls
    Friday, Feb 18, TDSB PA Day

- U12 U14 U16 U18 Boys &Girls
    Monday, Feb 21, Family Day

Daily Shedule
    Orientation 9:30-10:30am
    Round 1 11:00am
    Round 2 12:30pm
    Round 3 1:30pm
    Round 4 2:30pm
    Round 5 3:30pm
    Closing Ceremony 4:30pm
    Last edited by David Peng; Wednesday, 25th October, 2023, 04:00 PM.

Re: East Toronto Pre-Qualifiers for 2011 CYCC

Originally posted by David Peng View Post
    East Toronto Pre-Qualifiers for 2011 CYCC

Format: 5 rounds Swiss
    Time Control: 30 min SD
    Tie Breaks: 5min SD
    CFC rated
    Prizes: CFC medals for the first three places.
    Entry Fee: $40 ($6 paid to CFC)register 3 days before the event date $50 on site
    Free refreshments are available
    I have heard that the cost of living in Toronto is way higher in Toronto than in Montreal but 40-50$ for a rapid one day tournament for medals ??? Is this really in line with how much people earn in Toronto and other type of expenses ? For example how much is it to go to a movie or buy a liter of milk on your planet ?

Comment

There has been a comment to the effect that the entry fee may be supporting a hefty organizer/TD fee, using the qualification nature of YCC's as a leverage. Without knowing if the hall rental is high, or if there are other expenses that mount up, it is hard to judge from the outside if the registration fee is reasonable for the tournament/prizes/snacks.

Bob

Comment

Sorry for editing my original post - I'm confusing the CYCC qualifiers with the Chess Challenge qualifiers (which has much lower entry fees).
        Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Sunday, 13th February, 2011, 01:00 AM.

Comment

$$ Significance of Active Time Controls

Hi Hugh:

Can you see justification for the YCC registration fees being higher than the CMA Chess Challenge Qualifiers, where they both are active time controls?

Bob

Comment

Possibly the fees are lower for the Chess Challenge, since there are fewer "finalists" involved, and no expenses for sending anyone to a World event.

I'm sure Larry could elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              There has been a comment to the effect that the entry fee may be supporting a hefty organizer/TD fee, using the qualification nature of YCC's as a leverage. Without knowing if the hall rental is high, or if there are other expenses that mount up, it is hard to judge from the outside if the registration fee is reasonable for the tournament/prizes/snacks.
              Bob,
              Let's not beat around the bushes. You and I can judge if registration fees for a chess tournament are reasonable or not. It has to do with what people get for their money, not with the cost of the playing venue or what fee the organizer sets for himself.
              It is the organizer's responsibility to secure a playing hall at a reasonable price and to keep expenses as reasonable as possible. People should not pay extra for the incapacity or unwillingness to achieve this. Rapid one day events for kids should not cost 40-50$, unless a liter of milk costs 5$ and going to a movie costs 20$.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Bob
                Bob,
                The Philip Math and Chess Academy is based out of David's House-- that should give you some indication of the "hall rental" fee.

It should have been obvious to all that this is the kind of event that would be spawned by such a rediculous "qualification" system. Qualification in quotes, because what it really means is "enforced participation".

Normally qualification implies you are looking for the best, and it should be obvious that "qaulification" tournaments will never yeild the best players, since they are by neccessity regional. When you can have a qualifier in Toronto with average rating 1800 which qualifies the same number of players as one in northern Ontario average rating 800, something, namely common sense, is missing from the picture.

There has been much said of the value of this "qualification" system to promoting participation. In my opinion qualification and promoting participation have clearly opposite goals.

Personally, I can't fault David for exploiting the system, especially considering Philip Math and Chess is sponsoring the CYCC, so instead I'll fault all the governors who didn't see this one coming.

Comment

I'm at a complete loss to understand the whining about the entry fee.

When we go to a kids birthday party the gift always costs at least $40.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The Windsor YCC, held at the University of Windsor by Professor Fazle Baki, attracted 35 players who paid an entry fee of $15.

Of the 35 players, 23 won medals, and qualified for CYCC.

Comment

We didn't intend to use CYCC qualifiers to generate excessive profit. At the time when we set the entry fee standard, the only comparison was the West Toronto Qualifier ($55/player with free entry to the CYCC for the top finishers). If we set the entry fee too low, there will be many complaints from other organizers.

We will make an additional donation to the WYCC team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
                        Normally qualification implies you are looking for the best, and it should be obvious that "qaulification" tournaments will never yeild the best players, since they are by neccessity regional. When you can have a qualifier in Toronto with average rating 1800 which qualifies the same number of players as one in northern Ontario average rating 800, something, namely common sense, is missing from the picture.

There has been much said of the value of this "qualification" system to promoting participation. In my opinion qualification and promoting participation have clearly opposite goals.

While I didn't propose the current qualification system, I can see the logic behind it. Regional qualifers are set up to qualify a certain number/percentage of the best local players. The avg. rating of Northern players happen to be 800. I am sure some of them will cause some upsets and end up having fine tournaments.

The intention of the qualifiers is to raise awareness about the CYCC at the local level. It is pretty hard to sell an $175 four day open tournament to chess parents and players who don't live in the local area, particularly if the player is not a rating favourite. Stuart, maybe you haven't played in any CMA Provincial Final qualifiers. The joy of being qualified to the final is something to be cherished for a lifetime by both players and parents.

Comment

Originally posted by David Peng View Post
                          While I didn't propose the current qualification system, I can see the logic behind it. Regional qualifers are set up to qualify a certain number/percentage of the best local players. The avg. rating of Northern players happen to be 800. I am sure some of them will cause some upsets and end up having fine tournaments.

The intention of the qualifiers is to raise awareness about the CYCC at the local level. It is pretty hard to sell an $175 four day open tournament to chess parents and players who don't live in the local area, particularly if the player is not a rating favourite. Stuart, maybe you haven't played in any CMA Provincial Final qualifiers. The joy of being qualified to the final is something to be cherished for a lifetime by both players and parents.
                          I recognize what you're saying;

What bothers me is that there is currently no standard format for the qualification events, or even the number held for that matter (anyone can organize one)... however I recognize that imposing standards for an event to be a qualifier (minimum number of players, minimum number of rated player, minimum average rating, specified time control, specified geographic area for which the qualifier is held) would potentially destroy the CYCC, simply because the qualifiers in places like Toronto would be stronger events (then the CYCC), given that the 1800s who don't qualify in Toronto are being replaced by 1200s from Northern Ontario.

My opinion is that the CYCC should be the best youth in Canada, and if 7 out of the 10 best in a section happen to be from Toronto, then 7 out of 10 players in the section should be from Toronto.

Why we don't use a system analogous the qualification system for the Canadian Closed is beyond me-- That would allow each province (or some other specified geographic area) to qualify their best, but still make sure the top players are qualified (by rating).

Comment

How do I delete this message
                            Last edited by Gary Gladstone; Monday, 21st February, 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Gladstone View Post
                              It is my understanding that the top 3 players in each section get qualified to the CYCC. It would appear that there are not 3 players in each section and that sections are being combined so the youth will stay play chess for the day.
                              How will it be determined which players qualify for the CYCC?
                              Gary Gladstone
                              Hi Gary, We don't make the decision who qualifies and who do not. Maybe the Ontario Youth Chess Coordinator can shed some light on this subject. From past experience, about half of the contestants are qualified to the final. For the combined U14-16 section, we had 6 boys U14, 2 boys U16, and a girl U16. My prediction is that 3 boys U14, 1 boy U16, and the girl U16 will be qualified.

Comment

Working...
                              X