Seeking Input on Chess Variant (Online)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Input on Chess Variant (Online)

Hello, I was hoping I could get some expert opinions on a project I've been working on! I'm a game designer who only plays a little bit of Chess, and have made a web implementation of a Chess variant tentatively called "Draft Chess".

Online Interactive Game Link

Draft Chess is a chess variant in which players get to draft their own starting lineup of pieces. In addition to 4 Pawns and a King, players alternate drafting 10 additional pieces from a set of 5. Because the selection of pieces and their locations can naturally counter other options, this process is meaningful and strategic. It also makes playing white and black very different.

You can see a drop down list with all games currently being played (server was just reset, so there are none at the moment), which you can join or watch accordingly. There is also a tutorial button that provides everything you need to know about the rules and pieces. (very little is different from traditional chess; there are only two new pieces, one of which--the cannon--already exists in xiangqi)

The game feels familiar to the mechanics and overall strategy of chess, while testing different skills and providing a different nature of game. Feedback has so far been positive from players of various skill level backgrounds, so I hope you will find the game an interesting and enjoyable distraction.

It is implemented as a Flex(flash) front-end for a django(python)-based web-server. This means everything is persistent; your games will be able to be continued from another computer at any time with no need to "save" anything. Additionally, this means that not only is the game logic is all server-side, but it can be changed/updated in real-time without any problems should the need arise. Individual game database entries can also be changed in real-time by the admin in a simple web form, should the need arise.

I'd post the rules here directly, but right now feedback on the internal tutorial is extremely important. Consult the information there, and let me know if there is any confusion or problems.

If you have any comments, thoughts, or bug reports, leave them here and I will certainly read them. Otherwise, enjoy!
    Last edited by Chocolate Pi; Friday, 25th February, 2011, 03:00 PM.

Re: Seeking Input on Chess Variant (Online)

If you're not already familiar, you should look up the game builder program Zillions, and Hans Boedlanders chess variants site. The latter is not very active but did have tons of variants. Your suggestion looks a bit different than others but there needs to be a strong hook.

Comment

Working...
    X