Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheating

Originally posted by David Bowers View Post
    With sentences which are actually proportionate to the crime committed?
    Are you suggesting that rapists shouldn't get house arrest and judges pontificating on what their victims were wearing? Two years of watching tv at home, that'll teach him.

Comment

probably this song should answer any questions you have regarding cheating but if not you can always just listen to an LP of the bible (some guy told me if you play it backwards it says "jesus is dead")
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
        You are completely turning this around. I said "Cheating like this" and you are contradicting my statement by using examples that are not "like this"...

We were talking about someone taking a bathroom break on nearly every move. Obviously someone who only cheats once in a game is going to be much more difficult to catch. But that is a different and less obvious problem.
        Wasn't sure what 'like this' meant exactly. In any case I wasn't saying that the cheating might necessarily be done just once a game, either. There is a large hazy middle ground between that and cheating 'nearly every' move, a middle ground which I wasn't sure if you were excluding.

[edit: another possibility is, what if, assuming a player cheats nearly every move, that player often picks the computer's second or third best choice for a move to play?]
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 7th March, 2011, 03:47 PM.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I've read the thread up to here and would like to mention two posts.

First, Aris most directly addressed stopping the type of supsicious/cheating behaviour that Gordon described by quoting the relevant rule:
          Laws of Chess, Article 12, which includes:
          "The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter."

If this rule is followed then the scenario described in the first post would not occur.

A second issue is what counts as proof or evidence of cheating. If a player is reminded of the rule above but continues to leave the playing area without permission then that alone is sufficient proof of cheating (not of computer assisstance, but of breaking Article 12, above).

How about evidence of consulting a computer? Clearly something like a photo or multiple unbiased witness reports of the suspect using a computer or cellphone during the game would be the stongest evidence. But how many people are willing to risk the following story:
          PEEPING TOM ARRESTED
          "I thought he might be cheating", pervert claims.
          "Is there no safe place for children?!", cries young boy's telegenic mother.

Because of the risk and difficulty of catching a cheater in-the-act I think evidence of computer cheating will mostly be gathered after-the-fact. Tom O's post about asking the player to explain his moves is an excellent way to do it: If a player can't explain why he played the moves he did and rejected others then it is likely he didn't think of them and choose them himself. (It's essentially a Turing Test of chess thinking.)

This is not a foolproof method of detecting cheaters --- a player could play a long string of excellent moves just by accident or luck and be unable to explain any of them [I suspect this is a common fantasy among weak players who like to think that "on a good day" they could beat the World Champion] ---- but it ought to be enough to meet the burden of proof.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
            I've read the thread up to here and would like to mention two posts.

First, Aris most directly addressed stopping the type of supsicious/cheating behaviour that Gordon described by quoting the relevant rule:
            Laws of Chess, Article 12, which includes:
            "The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter."

If this rule is followed then the scenario described in the first post would not occur.
            Hi John

Assuming you didn't miss an earlier post of mine on this page, where I wrote of the following hypothetical situation:

player X loiters in the tournament hall near an exit, looking at his opponent player Y thinking about what move to make (assuming their board is visible from where player X is standing). Player X waits for Y to move, sees the move, and then goes out to the loo.
            Can you or anyone else say how might the rule Aris quotes be applied in a foolproof manner to ensure that player X never gets away with acting as stated?
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              Hi John

Assuming you didn't miss an earlier post of mine on this page, where I wrote of the following hypothetical situation:
              Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              player X loiters in the tournament hall near an exit, looking at his opponent player Y thinking about what move to make (assuming their board is visible from where player X is standing). Player X waits for Y to move, sees the move, and then goes out to the loo.
              Can you or anyone else say how might the rule Aris quotes be applied in a foolproof manner to ensure that player X never gets away with acting as stated?
              Nothing foolproof. But if the TD sees the player leaving just as it becomes his turn then the TD has the right (maybe duty?) to warn that player to return immediately to the playing hall or risk forefiet.

If the player had been doing that sort of thing enough to raise his opponent's suspicions then the TD might already be alerted to look out for it.

Of course, that's not foolproof and it doesn't ensure a cheater never gets away with it: the TD might be busy with other tournament business, or there could be so many exit doors no human could keep an eye on all of them...

I'm not so bothered by the lack of a foolproof rule against cheating, since, AFAIK, no rule prevents people from violating itself. (see: "ten Commandments" :))
              Last edited by John Upper; Monday, 7th March, 2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

If the player had been doing that sort of thing enough to raise his opponent's suspicions then the TD might already be alerted to look out for it.
                You nailed it John. The solution is simply to report suspicious behaviour to the TD. Once the TD is on the lookout, this type of cheating will become obvious. If you think your circumstantial evidence is not strong enough, have the washrooms closed temporarily for cleaning. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  You nailed it John. The solution is simply to report suspicious behaviour to the TD. Once the TD is on the lookout, this type of cheating will become obvious. If you think your circumstantial evidence is not strong enough, have the washrooms closed temporarily for cleaning. :D
                  Cheating is a harsh word and not one for an arbiter to use lightly. I can't recall ever using it to a player.

Arbiters should be concerning themselves with infractions to specific rules and not inflaming a situation with value added terms.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The solution is simply to report suspicious behaviour to the TD. Once the TD is on the lookout, this type of cheating will become obvious.
                    Well... "hypothetically" we did report it. And the TD was aware of the suspicious behaviour. The problem is that without a photo or a physical search (which none of us --- "hypothetically", remember --- had the stomach for) it is still just very suspicious behaviour, not proven cheating.

My point is that once Article 12 is made clear to all players, the question about finding evidence that the suspect is using a comptuer or other aid is moot: you can't leave when it's your move even if you are not cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Cheating is a harsh word and not one for an arbiter to use lightly. I can't recall ever using it to a player.

Arbiters should be concerning themselves with infractions to specific rules and not inflaming a situation with value added terms.
                      I believe consulting Fritz in the bathroom is an infraction to a specific rule.
                      Cheating is the appropriate term.

Comment

Well... "hypothetically" we did report it. And the TD was aware of the suspicious behaviour. The problem is that without a photo or a physical search (which none of us --- "hypothetically", remember --- had the stomach for) it is still just very suspicious behaviour, not proven cheating.

My point is that once Article 12 is made clear to all players, the question about finding evidence that the suspect is using a comptuer or other aid is moot: you can't leave when it's your move even if you are not cheating.
                        Yes John, you are correct. I would guess the reason for Article 12 was to give the TD any easy alternative to having to prove cheating. My point was that it is necessary to alert the TD, since it isn't practical for him to enforce article 12 on all players. :)

Comment

Boy, you guys are certainly entertaining!

The situation originally posted by Gordon was clearly a cheating situation, and the kid should have been thrown out of the tournament instantly. I believe the TD has that authority, and let the Chicago lawyers worry about it later. I wouldn't think there would be an issue.

"Arbiters should be concerning themselves with infractions to specific rules and not inflaming a situation with value added terms."

Another bit of nonsense from Ruben... arbiters should do the job dammit, I rather doubt Gary knows what value added terms means. I don't!

Sorry to introduce some concepts from the real world......
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

If Harper is not going to use the new prisons for cheating kids then I am sure that he can use them as assistants when they get older. They can help him with his fraudulent in-and-out schemes or for doctoring paperwork after it is signed off, for lying, etc. etc.
                            These kids probably think that if Harpers Government can get away with this stuff then they may as well try it themselves.

Comment

We should be filling up the prisons with Wall street bankers.

Comment

I believe consulting Fritz in the bathroom is an infraction to a specific rule.
                                Cheating is the appropriate term.
                                Consulting Fritz is an allegation. Unproved.

Even if you could prove it, there are rules which could be used without deteriorating the situation.

Simply because a player says his opponent is kicking his butt so he must be using a computer doesn't mean it's happening. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. An arbiter has to be impartial enough to consider the point made by both players and no formal complaint seems to have been put to the one who was thought to have offended. It appears he was not approached with the allegations made by the accuser.

The prime objective is to try to correct problems in such a way as not to lose members.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X