Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheating

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
    "Arbiters should be concerning themselves with infractions to specific rules and not inflaming a situation with value added terms."

Another bit of nonsense from Ruben... arbiters should do the job dammit, I rather doubt Gary knows what value added terms means. I don't!
    Why would you involve yourself in a discussion where your command of the language is such you don't understand a key sentence?

If you need an English to English translation I'm certain someone will help out.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Consulting Fritz is an allegation. Unproved.
      No, consulting Fritz is cheating.

Obviously, you don't automatically assume someone is cheating just because an allegation is made. You investigate, you observe the player, you talk with the offending player and others, you satisfy yourself as to the validity of the claim. If the evidence (in your judgement) is strong enough to convince you (beyond a reasonable doubt) of cheating, then you take action. Forfeit the game, and/or expelled from the tournament.

Comment

Consulting Fritz is an allegation. Unproved.

Obviously, you don't automatically assume someone is cheating just because an allegation is made. You investigate, you observe the player, you talk with the offending player and others, you satisfy yourself as to the validity of the claim. If the evidence (in your judgement) is strong enough to convince you (beyond a reasonable doubt) of cheating, then you take action. Forfeit the game, and/or expelled from the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Very good. You get to the point where you tell the person his opponent thinks he's using a computer and therefore cheating. Then you do your investigation. Chances are you don't find anything or the entire thing wouldn't be cicumstantial evidence. It would be firm evidence.

What happens if you can't find anything? Do you forfeit the game of the complaining player who has completely distracted his innocent opponent? Both you and the opponent have excessively annoyed the player with a charge you can't prove?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Very good. You get to the point where you tell the person his opponent thinks he's using a computer and therefore cheating. Then you do your investigation. Chances are you don't find anything or the entire thing wouldn't be cicumstantial evidence. It would be firm evidence.

What happens if you can't find anything? Do you forfeit the game of the complaining player who has completely distracted his innocent opponent? Both you and the opponent have excessively annoyed the player with a charge you can't prove?
            Geez... Gary, sometimes I think you argue with me just for the sake of arguing, someone might think we were on chesstalk.....oops :o we are I thought we were on the CFC board.

Seriously though, you keep jumping to conclusions. I didn't think I had to say it explicitly, but of course you use your good judgement and observe the situation first, before making any accusations. But you certainly don't need absolute proof in order to question the player as to his actions or to enforce article 12. When you have a complaint and supporting circumstantial evidence you need to investigate and take action if you feel it is appropriate. No set of rules will ever cover all situations, so by necessity we leave the TD with discretionary power to arbitrate. That's why we call them arbitors. Sometimes they will make a bad call, but usually they get it right. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Geez... Gary, sometimes I think you argue with me just for the sake of arguing, someone might think we were on chesstalk.....oops :o we are I thought we were on the CFC board.
              No, I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. Calling a person a cheat is serious. Some might take it quite seriously. I can recall I had to break up a couple of very heated speed chess games for money and send the players home for a couple of weeks as a remedy. It went peacefully because the alternative to going home was to have the membership dues refunded in full and membership terminated. Still, I had to consider if I thought I could "take" the main offender.

There have been several discussions on CC message boards about computer use. If you look at a game of say 40 moves it often looks like 15 moves of theory and 15 moves of end play. There might be about 10 moves which are critical where a computer can be of great help for a player who knows his opening theory and is reasonably schooled in end play. If a player has a decent memory and does home analysis it's hard to tell if the other player stepped into a prepared variation by a well prepared opponent. From what I've seen many players in Canda have a couple of openings for white and black. Not really hard to prepare for them. So maybe someone used a computer but the question becomes when. Before or after the game started.

You might consider a forum for your arbiters and discussion on how to reasonably deal with problems so players don't quit organized chess as a result of decisions. Players get very passionate over their games.

Of course, if you can catch someone in the act that's different. I wouldn't be suspending a player so long he never bothers to come back.

Gary Ruben I.A. - Correspondence.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Wow! My dad told me that if I ever need a break, go to the bathroom and splash some cold water on my face. Even if its my move! Well i suppose i shouldnt do that anymore.:D

Comment

KS has weighed in on the issue on his blog.

Comment

Kevin has a great deal of experience in these matters and Gary's comments are valuable but in this specific case, both do rather tilt at windmills.
                    While I have no doubt that the individual was in fact using technical assistance, to prove it beyond a shadow of doubt would have required the TD to break down the stall and strip search the player. That would be quite unacceptable. Equally unacceptable would be to permit this sort of behaviour to continue.
                    So the question put before this august assembly was what the TD should do to deal with the situation in the future.
                    The answer is, I believe, that given by Aris Marghetis: invoke article 12 and require the player to remain in the hall when it is his turn to move.
                    If he refuses to comply, the TD is entirely within his authority to forfeit the game and strike him from the tournament. He should also report the incident to the club or federation for appropriate further disciplinary action, e.g. suspension.
                    It is important also to keep this incident in perspective. It is the first time we have encountered such behaviour, which perhaps explains why we were so slow to react. I have no reason to believe that any other players have behaved in this manner but we will take steps to ensure that they are all reminded of the rules and the consequences of breaching the rules.
                    The sad thing is that the player in this case undoubtedly is pleased with himself for getting away with it. In fact, he is the only real loser.

Comment

Cheating may always be with us. Chess is not exempt! My own observations over the years:

- while directing a Univ. of Toronto chess championship in the 1970s I found one player analyzing his current game in a neighboring room while it was still in progress;
                      - I know personally of a Canadian master who tried to play in Philadelphia's World Open one year under an assumed name in the under 2200 section;
                      - according to a New In Chess article of about 1975, no less a GM than Garry Kasparov offered US$5,000 to Florin Gheorghiu, another GM, to lose brilliantly to him in a European tournament!

O tempora! O mores! (Cicero)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bokhout View Post
                        - according to a New In Chess article of about 1975, no less a GM than Garry Kasparov offered US$5,000 to Florin Gheorghiu, another GM, to lose brilliantly to him in a European tournament!
                        Could you re-read the article? (wrong year, wrong names)
                        They (G.K. F.G.) first met only in 1981, Moscow Int.
                        G.K. played in several internationals during 1975-1979 period: junior championships (F.G. (b. 1944) was too old for that) and Banja Luka (F.G. did not play here either).

Comment

You're right, my memory is playing tricks. But I do remember that it was Kasparov offering Gheoghiu a bribe, though as you imply it must have been the 1981 tournament.

It stuck in my mind because at the time I thought that it was outrageous!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bokhout View Post
                            You're right, my memory is playing tricks. But I do remember that it was Kasparov offering Gheoghiu a bribe, though as you imply it must have been the 1981 tournament.

It stuck in my mind because at the time I thought that it was outrageous!
                            Since that you acknowledge that your memory do play tricks on you, you should first check your facts and provide sources before posting something outrageous like that. This is how false rumours start and hurt people's reputations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                              Since that you acknowledge that your memory do play tricks on you, you should first check your facts and provide sources before posting something outrageous like that. This is how false rumours start and hurt people's reputations.
                              ...yeah for sure kasparov's reputation just got damaged up huge, grrl
                              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

KS has commented, round 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X