How USCF solved a rating inflation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How USCF solved a rating inflation problem

Not long time ago, Nguyen Hoai Nam immigrated from Vietnam to USA. He is 17 years old and his FIDE rating is 2121. He started playing in the local USCF rated tournaments having an initial rating equal with his FIDE rating and after 11 games he was 11-0-0, his USCF rating went over 2700. He went to K-12 Nationals where he blundered in 1st round against 1600 player and won the rest of the games, including +2200 and +2300 players. With just one lost game using regular time, USCF adjusted his rating to 2286. I was not able to find a reason behind USCF decision, the only place where his rating show 2700 is "Rtg. Supp.", all the rest ahd been changed to +2200

Andrei

Re: How USCF solved a rating inflation problem

To go from 2121 to 2700 in 11 games suggests the original number was taken as provisional. Then to go down after more games suggests it was still provisional and adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Why in the world would we want to do anything about rating inflation? If I remember properly, a few years ago the CFC made a move to inflate them because certain people thought they were deflating. Now we want to inflate them? Who cares if they inflate or not. If you keep playing, relatively speaking your rating should be the same when you are compared to other players. People need to get over ratings and check their egos. The only ones who should care are the top pros who get invitation based on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
        Not long time ago, Nguyen Hoai Nam immigrated from Vietnam to USA. He is 17 years old and his FIDE rating is 2121. He started playing in the local USCF rated tournaments having an initial rating equal with his FIDE rating and after 11 games he was 11-0-0, his USCF rating went over 2700. He went to K-12 Nationals where he blundered in 1st round against 1600 player and won the rest of the games, including +2200 and +2300 players. With just one lost game using regular time, USCF adjusted his rating to 2286. I was not able to find a reason behind USCF decision, the only place where his rating show 2700 is "Rtg. Supp.", all the rest ahd been changed to +2200

Andrei
        it was probably calculated normally. the rating systems do not work well for undefeated scores and unwinning scores. e.g. if i win all my games against an average opposition of 2000 how do you rate it? how *should* you rate it? 2400? 2800? 3000? the calculations only work on non-perfect scores...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
          People need to get over ratings and check their egos. The only ones who should care are the top pros who get invitation based on them.
          There is also the case of tournaments that would be nice to play in, where there are minimum ratings required to play in them. I am thinking specifically about the 2010 Ontario Closed (minimum 2100) or the upcoming Canadian Closed (minimum 2200). I qualified for the former by having several reasonable tournaments just before it took place and I probably qualify for the latter at the moment (once my most recent tournament gets rated) but what do I do, not play for two months to make sure that I stay qualified? I would probably go into chess withdrawal.

Perhaps the Canadian Closed should add people who have achieved the requirements for the NM title as an additional class who should be allowed to play in the Canadian Closed since it is the only title that is given by the CFC.

Comment

Working...
          X