Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raja Panjwani?

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Without going into specifics, we simply had some misunderstandings.

Folks - nothing to see here, everyone please go back to your game.
    It's always a good day when a misunderstanding can be cleared up without losing members.

By the way, Air Canada seems to be in the news for comtemplating dropping sponsorship of the NHL over head hits. This might be a time to try to line them up for sponsorship for chess. I'm still a shareholder, but I doubt they have ever heard of me. I recently averaged way up and doubled my holdings.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Bettman's response was that the teams could also choose to fly with different airlines. :D
      Last edited by Ken Craft; Friday, 11th March, 2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Bettman's response was that the teams could also choose to fly with different airlines. :D
        I caught that part and wondered how much naming rights for the Air Canada Center costs. :)

Anyhow, maybe they are interested in sponsoring a sport where the brain doesn't get scrambled.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Anyhow, maybe they are interested in sponsoring a sport where the brain doesn't get scrambled.
          You're implying people's brains don't get scrambled, one way or another, from playing chess or adopting it as a career? :)
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            You're implying people's brains don't get scrambled, one way or another, from playing chess or adopting it as a career? :)
            I was thinking more about blunt force trauma which appear to be the issue with that company.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I was thinking more about blunt force trauma which appear to be the issue with that company.
              Yes, I knew. I just couldn't resist the setup for such a joke.

My guess is that Air Canada probably wouldn't be interested in being a full-time sponsor for Canadian chess at this point. Not a large enough market in terms of players and what few (if any) events there are that have spectators paying fees. However that doesn't mean that Air Canada might not actually sponsor flagship Canadian tournaments at least occasionally, given a good sales pitch by organizers, and the promise of big media coverage. Can't remember if they've been a sponsor before, e.g. for Saint John 1988 or Montreal 1979.
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                Yes, I knew. I just couldn't resist the setup for such a joke.

My guess is that Air Canada probably wouldn't be interested in being a full-time sponsor for Canadian chess at this point. Not a large enough market in terms of players and what few (if any) events there are that have spectators paying fees. However that doesn't mean that Air Canada might not actually sponsor flagship Canadian tournaments at least occasionally, given a good sales pitch by organizers, and the promise of big media coverage. Can't remember if they've been a sponsor before, e.g. for Saint John 1988 or Montreal 1979.
                This is really off topic here. I was simply suggesting an idea for a timely sponsorship attempt. There are governors who could make such a pitch and be taken seriously.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  What's the story with Raja Panjwani (and Dilip)? I can't find their ratings on the CFC web site - but when I look at the crosstable of the 2010 Calgary International (in which he played), there is a player named "Pxxxxxxx, Rxxx". Seaching the CFC ratings under that name, you see his tournaments.

I have not seen any other players treated in a similar manner - even if their memberships have expired.
                  I have a feeling,

that history repeats itself.

that Raja Panjawani can be viewed as "Ochmoses" , or in biblical terms, Moses, whose name was forbidden to be spoken, and his name was carved out from history...........

that we should not mix personal reactions with national matters.....

that we should not employ ancient Egyptian technique to a young promising IM who has real chances to become a GM, "if he does things right" .

Comment

Working...
                  X