CFC Executive - Candidates for 2011-12 ( July AGM Elections )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Executive - Candidates for 2011-12 ( July AGM Elections )

Governors, as electors of the CFC Executive, should have ample time to consider the candidacy of executive members, to discuss it among themselves, and to question the candidates as to their program. The executive elections are now only 4 months away, at the July AGM. I remember prior to the last 2010 AGM, some time in advance, Bob Gillanders announced his candidacy for the CFC presidency. This allowed me as a governor to ask him numbers of policy questions over the course of a number of weeks. This is a good precedent.

As well, if a current executive is not running again, it is now important that the governors know this, so they can start searching for replacement candidates. Often arms are being twisted at the very last minute, because executive have not said 'til just before the AGM their intentions. This does not lead to necessarily the best candidates.

Finally, the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) sees it important to the CFC members that incumbents declare early if they are running again, and that new candidates come forward publicly. Although members have no direct vote for the CFC Executive, it does not mean they are not interested. Members need time to hear about their candidates, so they can formulate questions for them on policy, for them to answer. This way members can then advise their local governors who they would request they vote for at the incoming governors AGM on Tuesday, July 12 in Toronto. And they must find out from their local governors if they are intending to run again, and hope to be incoming, as well as outgoing, governors, because only then will they be voting.

It is critical that this be done early, since members may decide to vote for a different CFC Governor if their current one is unwilling to vote the way they wish. This is the one direct influence members have - to vote for the provincial representative governors. The executive race must accommodate the members' reality of when the CFC incoming governors are to be elected.

For example, time is already short for CFC members in the GTCL/Ont., because GTCL usually has its AGM in early April, when the CFC governors are elected. If no candidates have come forward, then the GTCL CFC members are totally in the dark as to whom might be their best choices for CFC governors, based on executive candidate preferences.

So the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) urges the current CFC Executive to take the lead on this and advise of their 2011-12 Executive intentions.

What do you as CFC Members think about the way CFC handles its executive elections each year? What suggestions would you like followed?

The CCC is a new grassroots' chess organization focused on member development at all chess levels, and increasing member participation. This will be done by affording members a greater degree of influence on the affairs of the Canadian chess structures, and in some cases, may involve some changes to these structures. If you would like to learn more about this new organization, just e-mail me, Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ).

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 14th March, 2011, 02:01 AM.

Re: CFC Executive - Candidates for 2011-12 ( July AGM Elections )

Election time again? Time sure does fly by when you’re having fun. ;)

All kidding aside, it really has been both an honour and a privilege to serve as CFC President. With some regrets, I will not be seeking a second term as President. The presidency does require a significant time commitment. I simply cannot make that commitment for another year.

I am willing to serve as Past President.
    I want to thank all those who supported my presidency and their dedication to the CFC. It is very much appreciated. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

All kidding aside, it really has been both an honour and a privilege to serve as CFC President. With some regrets, I will not be seeking a second term as President. The presidency does require a significant time commitment. I simply cannot make that commitment for another year.

I want to thank all those who supported my presidency and their dedication to the CFC. It is very much appreciated. :)
      Thank you Bobby!

Comment

Bob Armstrong For President?

Good choice!

Comment

Thank YOU, Bob, for a tremendous amount of work. I have some idea about the time commitment simply from observing how much of your time was gobbled up... I believe your attention and dedication to the job will not likely be surpassed any time soon.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

A Very Good President

Hi Bob G:

We CFC'ers owe you a big vote of thanks for this year - the CFC has been a good ship, on a steady course. You communicated well, and handled issues in a timely manner. I hope you will be remembered as one of CFC's very good presidents ( Kevin notwithstanding ).

And I'm really pleased we will have your ideas and experience next year as " Past President ".

My keyboard is filled with cobwebs because I had so little to whine about during your presidency !!

Bob A

Comment

Re: A Very Good President

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Bob G:

We CFC'ers owe you a big vote of thanks for this year - the CFC has been a good ship, on a steady course. You communicated well, and handled issues in a timely manner. I hope you will be remembered as one of CFC's very good presidents ( Kevin notwithstanding ).

And I'm really pleased we will have your ideas and experience next year as " Past President ".

My keyboard is filled with cobwebs because I had so little to whine about during your presidency !!

Bob A
              Perhaps Kevin could be offered the job/position of 'official whiner' ? He seems to be good at that - and at almost preparing earth-shattering expose reports.

Comment

I guess we won't have Bob to kick around anymore.

Is the memberships up or down this term?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  I guess we won't have Bob to kick around anymore.

Is the memberships up or down this term?
                  Membership sales July 1, 2010 - Feb 28, 2011 = $ 29412
                  Membership sales July 1, 2009 - Feb 28, 2010 = $ 29090

One of Bob's goals was a modest increase in memberships. However, I think the idea is that this would be a result of the membership drive, which has yet to start. Perhaps that's partly my fault, as I didn't feel we were ready to start that up until we had the new web site in place.

It's always ironic when the praise for someone starts coming after they announce they are stepping down ! It's hard to imagine anyone willing to put in the time Bob did this year. I suspect we'll see a lot of his hard work come to fruition next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    ... until we had the new web site in place.
                    The original target was March 15th - tomorrow! Are we ready to roll? Can someone give an update?

Comment

Membership sales July 1, 2010 - Feb 28, 2011 = $ 29412
                      Membership sales July 1, 2009 - Feb 28, 2010 = $ 29090

One of Bob's goals was a modest increase in memberships. However, I think the idea is that this would be a result of the membership drive, which has yet to start. Perhaps that's partly my fault, as I didn't feel we were ready to start that up until we had the new web site in place.

It's always ironic when the praise for someone starts coming after they announce they are stepping down ! It's hard to imagine anyone willing to put in the time Bob did this year. I suspect we'll see a lot of his hard work come to fruition next year.
                      But "sales" is not the same as "numbers of members" ... since the membership fees are not the same across Canada and the rest of the world - or is the CFC portion the same across the board?

see: http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.shtml

Comment

I'm not praising him. Part of the measurement of success is the number of members the organization has gained during the term. It's nice to get members but the trick is in keeping them.

Putting in time, as you word it, is not always evident by the results. It kind of depends what a person is doing while he puts in the time. Promising us next year is a bit premature, don't you think?
                        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Monday, 14th March, 2011, 11:42 PM.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Presidential Candidates??

The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) urges those governors or new incoming governors thinking of running for President, to declare themselves early now. We hope other current executive will now declare their intentions, as well as new candidates for the other executive positions.

As we noted in our original post, the CFC Members will shortly start electing the new incoming CFC governors in their provinces ( the Greater Toronto Chess League/Ont. AGM usually comes up in early April ). The members should know who the executive candidates are, and who their local representative CFC Governor candidates are backing, so they know whether to vote for them or not.

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 14th March, 2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            But "sales" is not the same as "numbers of members" ... since the membership fees are not the same across Canada and the rest of the world - or is the CFC portion the same across the board?

see: http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.shtml
                            The CFC portion is the same. It's a quick approximation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I'm not praising him. I'm measuring him. Part of the measurement of success is the number of members the organization has gained during the term. It's nice to get members but the trick is in keeping them.

Putting in time, as you word it, is not always evident by the results. It kind of depends what a person is doing while he puts in the time. Promising us next year is a bit premature, don't you think?
                              I said "suspect". I don't think that qualifies as a promise. Perhaps as Past President, Bob will head up the membership drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X