X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a market for..

Hello Larry:

Thanks for responding to John and Aris.
    The Canada Day Weekend tournament in Ottawa is the final of the EOCA season, so you would probably lose a number of possible participants.

If it's held any time after Aris' tournament, I would certainly attend and would offer FREE transportation for anyone needing a ride from Ottawa or even Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      If you're comparing to North Bay--one of the attractions was that in the first week of August it could be very hot and muggy in the Navel of the Universe, but usually much milder in North Bay. So if you want to extend the analogy, you'd choose a time when it makes hot on Mount Royal.

Silman worked well for North Bay, but he wasn't the only factor that worked well. I like Jeremy, but you also have local talent, from the authoritative voice of Hébert Parle Echecs to chess figures from the past such as Camille Coudari or (more recently) GM Alexandre Le Siège. I bet that many could give compelling chess talks or analysis sessions. I've never heard Alexandre speak in public, but his energy could make him a real firecracker at the podium. Yeah, I know he doesn't play anymore.

I played in one of the Paul Masson tournaments in California. I very much enjoyed playing out of doors, nestled among the trees. Factors that might impinge on that pleasure: 1. direct sunlight; 2. flying creatures that bite; 3. rain; 4. nearby vehicular traffic; 5. noise; 6. the darkness of night.

A year later I co-organized a tournament, and put it forward as an event with family activities. I also said the weather would be great, which turned out to be a lie. It was a time of year when the weather was usually unsettled. I didn't think I was fibbing, it's just that my memory was hazy. And at such a young age. What a personal tragedy. Anyway, it turned out that there were ten days of beautiful weather. We had to cancel some of the (bus) tours because of too low signup, but others went ahead. In any case, the feedback from spouses was positive. And of course there were kazillions of things to do in Vancouver.

But if you do exploit the family idea, it might not work a second time with the same people because families tend to like to go to different places for annual vacation.

The turnout for the tournament was 320 players, with lots from the US and far away in Canada. The family experience factor was not the only one there, either.
      Hi Jonathan,

320 players is awesome! How many days...rounds, what were the organized side events? Since I never went, please tell me what made North Bay so special? I know the organizers gave their hearts to making this a big thing...care to share :)

I spent last night at this Laurentian resort and I just got home 1 hour ago. Obviously they gave us the Royal treatment...which I certainly enjoyed :). We still have a lot to work out but I left saying that details have to be finalized by April 4, 2011 for this to happen this summer.

I am excited by this project :).

I think it has great potential!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Carroll View Post
        Hello Larry:

Thanks for responding to John and Aris.
        The Canada Day Weekend tournament in Ottawa is the final of the EOCA season, so you would probably lose a number of possible participants.

If it's held any time after Aris' tournament, I would certainly attend and would offer FREE transportation for anyone needing a ride from Ottawa or even Montreal.
        Hi Billy,

I am holding you to that, if we make this happen :)

For Ottawa players, they do not even have to go through Montreal to get to this place...you are looking at less than 2.5 hours. Same for Quebec City.

I understand that North Bay was a 9-round event...two games a day (Jonathan where are you :).

Our location offers golf, a beach, horseback riding, rock climbing....ohhh yes...and chess :)

So what is the best chess/other activities combo?

Do we do 9 rounds...starting at 6 pm on Wednesday Aug 17...right through to Sunday Aug 21 (sounds too intense to me :).

In my dreams I would like to have a good mix...any suggestions...time controls...hours of the rounds...social stuff? It6 would be great if this could be a CMA bash!

I am still negotiating with the hotel...I still need some real concessions before we sign. I have no problem with the room rates...but they have to work on the food and the site costs.

On April 5, 2011 we either move forward or we take a pass.

Larry

Comment

Larry,

I hope this works well for you.

I asked google and I found examples in the USA:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010...ss-resort.html
          http://oscf.org/2011/03/friends-fami...nt-at-seaside/
          http://www.saratogaresortandspa.com/...ss-tournament/

But the one that got most of my attention is this one in Vermont. It is the 22nd one so it must be going well.
          http://www.chess.com/event/view/22nd...nt-resort-open

Comment

Larry,

If you hold your tournament, I will be hesitating between Corfu in Greece or yours. Budget will make consider more seriously yours.

Larry stop thinking! Just copy Corfu's program! LOL
            "The Festival includes 4 different basic types of tournament: rapid chess, pairs, Chinese chess and bridge. Simultaneous and blind exhibition games will also be held, as well as matches between specially invited internationally-ranked players. Lectures followed by discussion, seminars, summer open-air movie nights, a full day tour of the island, concerts, theme nights at the pool and beach bar, special themed dinners, including Chinese, Ancient Greek and Chess, will all make up an exciting and innovative event. The closing ceremony will involve a special chess dress code, and many more wonderful surprises await you!"

Jean
            Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Friday, 1st April, 2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Re : Is there a market for..

Maybe you can count on 8-12 guys from Abitibi. Usually, we go to Trois-Rivieres by 5-6, an 8 hours drive. For your tourney, it will be 4 hours only, and the family can be with us!!
              Good idea, surely I will go if the Hospital let me go!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
                But the one that got most of my attention is this one in Vermont. It is the 22nd one so it must be going well.
                http://www.chess.com/event/view/22nd...nt-resort-open
                It is held at a resort but it is basically an old fashioned weekender with an old fashioned weekender schedule with no time to do anything but chess. In any case March in Vermont is not beach time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
                  Larry,

If you hold your tournament, I will be hesitating between Corfu in Greece or yours. Budget will make consider more seriously yours.

Larry stop thinking! Just copy Corfu's program! LOL
                  "The Festival includes 4 different basic types of tournament: rapid chess, pairs, Chinese chess and bridge. Simultaneous and blind exhibition games will also be held, as well as matches between specially invited internationally-ranked players. Lectures followed by discussion, seminars, summer open-air movie nights, a full day tour of the island, concerts, theme nights at the pool and beach bar, special themed dinners, including Chinese, Ancient Greek and Chess, will all make up an exciting and innovative event. The closing ceremony will involve a special chess dress code, and many more wonderful surprises await you!"

Jean
                  Hi Jean,

I think we will do this event in August 2012. When you come back from Corfu, we have to get together!

Larry

Comment

A resort event I would prefer not to be 12 hours a day of chess. Faster time control like G/60+30s would be my choice.

Comment

Aug 15-19, 2012 - CMA SUPERFEST in the Laurentians

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                      A resort event I would prefer not to be 12 hours a day of chess. Faster time control like G/60+30s would be my choice.
                      We have come to a verbal agreement with the Hotel to host an awesome event in the Laurentians in August 2012...the contract is in the mail...ummm...e-mail...soon I hope :).

We have negotiated a room rate of $89.95 plus tax for 1-4 people in the room (2 double beds). If all goes well, we will begin the advertising this summer at the major chess events in Canada. The main event will run from Wednesday August 15 to Sunday August 19 2012 but there will be side events with shorter durations etc. We want to make this into a family vacation...one people will remember forever!

More info will be posted in the next two weeks when the contract is actually signed :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        If you're comparing to North Bay--one of the attractions was that in the first week of August it could be very hot and muggy in the Navel of the Universe, but usually much milder in North Bay. So if you want to extend the analogy, you'd choose a time when it makes hot on Mount Royal.

Silman worked well for North Bay, but he wasn't the only factor that worked well. I like Jeremy, but you also have local talent, from the authoritative voice of Hébert Parle Echecs to chess figures from the past such as Camille Coudari or (more recently) GM Alexandre Le Siège. I bet that many could give compelling chess talks or analysis sessions. I've never heard Alexandre speak in public, but his energy could make him a real firecracker at the podium. Yeah, I know he doesn't play anymore.

I played in one of the Paul Masson tournaments in California. I very much enjoyed playing out of doors, nestled among the trees. Factors that might impinge on that pleasure: 1. direct sunlight; 2. flying creatures that bite; 3. rain; 4. nearby vehicular traffic; 5. noise; 6. the darkness of night.

A year later I co-organized a tournament, and put it forward as an event with family activities. I also said the weather would be great, which turned out to be a lie. It was a time of year when the weather was usually unsettled. I didn't think I was fibbing, it's just that my memory was hazy. And at such a young age. What a personal tragedy. Anyway, it turned out that there were ten days of beautiful weather. We had to cancel some of the (bus) tours because of too low signup, but others went ahead. In any case, the feedback from spouses was positive. And of course there were kazillions of things to do in Vancouver.

But if you do exploit the family idea, it might not work a second time with the same people because families tend to like to go to different places for annual vacation.

The turnout for the tournament was 320 players, with lots from the US and far away in Canada. The family experience factor was not the only one there, either.
                        Hi Jonathan,

I will pick your brain in the next week...Razzle Dazzle??? Duh :)

Larry

Comment

Re: Re : Is there a market for..

Originally posted by Alain Authier View Post
                          Maybe you can count on 8-12 guys from Abitibi. Usually, we go to Trois-Rivieres by 5-6, an 8 hours drive. For your tourney, it will be 4 hours only, and the family can be with us!!
                          Good idea, surely I will go if the Hospital let me go!!
                          Bonjour Alain,

Start negotiating your vacations!

Want a large group from Abitibi at this event...hmmm...how about a special prize for Abitibi players...as long as you have at least 15 participants! The more I think...the more I like this idea...regional prizes...perhaps team scores...

Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X