Published in USA Today, today!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...ady29_ST_N.htm

Re: Chess in Schools...

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post

The website:

http://www.af4c.org/

Comment

Wow!!! I enjoyed the video-The Chess Lady is amazing! Chess in Schools is booming-in fact I know from talking to parents I could bring in 20 more schools in Toronto to Chess & Math-but my schedule is already 150% booked till Oct.Nice problem! The kids are like sponges-they absorb some complex material very quickly.John Henry,Senior Instructor Chess & Math,Toronto.

Comment

Integrating chess into the school's math program is a wonderful idea. Before I moved to Toronto, I had worked with the Nadeau's (from Kapuskasing) at a french school in Sudbury. It had such a powerful impact on these 4th graders. Not only did the children show an excitement and eagerness to begin playing, but as well, the teacher was shocked that chess had the power to calm them down into a trance-like state of elevated focus and most importantly, quietness (a task easier said then done with little ones).

Chess offers something very unique that compliments the dynamics of Math. There are many similarities such as: Math is to solving, as Chess is to calculating, Math is to formulas, as chess is to opening/endgame theory. However, Math is to ?, as Chess is to planning and strategy is something not offered by the subject. The ability to teach strategy, imbalances and developing a sound plan is such an invaluable asset, that goes a miss in today's curriculum. Hopefully with all the current hype of Chess in School's, there will be a potential advent to this priceless opportunity.

Comment

"quietness" well you have to teach in the lower grades to see that this is false! Excitement-yes! Music and chess have a co-relation-my students who excell at chess are good at math and music too....

Comment

Working...
          X