Mississauga cracks 100.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississauga cracks 100.

It was quite a night this evening at the Mississauga Chess Club.

The junior club kicked it off with 84 kids.
    The adult club had 23 players, including 3 from the junior club.

So that sets the new attendance record at 104 players, cracking the 100 barrier for the first time. Add to that dozens of parents and you get a busy room. :D

Re: Mississauga cracks 100.

I have to ask. With all those players, did you sell any memberships?

With all those parents around, do you set up any tables and sets so they can sit down and play while they wait? That's where the real money is.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I have to ask. With all those players, did you sell any memberships?

With all those parents around, do you set up any tables and sets so they can sit down and play while they wait? That's where the real money is.
      Yeah, work that crowd. Queen's odds at $5 a game, double or nothing kid; those Mississauga kids must get an allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        Yeah, work that crowd. Queen's odds at $5 a game, double or nothing kid; those Mississauga kids must get an allowance.
        Let me explain it to you. If you get some parents interested they might join. Maybe they'll stay with the game longer than the kids.

You're out of line implying I'm suggesting chess hustling at the club. There is NOTHING in what I wrote to imply such a thing.

Hustling should probably be done in coffee shops and on street corners. :)
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Let me explain it to you. If you get some parents interested they might join. Maybe they'll stay with the game longer than the kids.

You're out of line implying I'm suggesting chess hustling at the club. There is NOTHING in what I wrote to imply such a thing.

Hustling should probably be done in coffee shops and on street corners. :)
          Yes of course it was wrong of me, street corners and coffee shops - you are so right. :):)

The thing I find is that many parents of children don't play chess themselves. At the tournaments they are usually to be found in the skittles room on their labtops. Which is why it was good at the Hamilton Winter Open that they had both a parents room and a skittles room; sometimes you can't find playing space in the skittles room otherwise.

Which come to think of it could be used to cheat by a parent and child? May or may not happen but it could I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post

Which come to think of it could be used to cheat by a parent and child? May or may not happen but it could I guess.
            I guess that means NO memberships were sold and a good time was had by all.

Computers during a game turn a players brain to mush. Shouldn't be used for anything other than to prepare for opponents. I have to admit to enjoying the current situation. After all the comments I took about computers in Correspondence chess it turns out to be a big problem in OTB. How I long for the days when a club member used to drop in on a weekend and we'd play speed chess into the next morning.

What you need is to sell everyone who comes with a laptop the same chess program. Mandatory if they want to bring the laptop. Then if they want to feed the kids moves it will all be the same flavour. Kind of like every one gets strawberry pablum. :)

I guess chess is getting to be more and more like music lessons. After a lesson one of my kids used to practice. The first practice got taped and the others were playbacks. I used to comment about the same mistakes over and over but for some reason never caught on. Dumb!!! I found out years later during one of those "now that it doesn't matter" sessions.

Like, now that it doesn't matter anymore, what REALLY happened to my car.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Congratulations Bob have you got a bigger club than SCC . If you do then you are the Biggest club in GTA. So SCC bragging rights are gone.

I missed going there but the time controls never helped my bus travel.
              But if you want to make 105 I'll join as a silent member.

Comment

Scarborough CC Already Cracked 100

Hi John:

I join you in congratulating Mississauga CC.

But I note that Scarborough CC went over 100 members earlier in the year, and now likely stands at about 125.

Also, we are at 99 for the current club championship! One more member and we'll crack 100 for a tournament !!

Think we are still clinging by a thread to our bragging rights !

Bob

Comment

We did it again! :)

New record high for juniors 86
                  Adults 21, including 3 from juniors club.
                  Total 104 again. :D

Comment

We did it again. :)

Attendance last night.
                    Junior club 89
                    Adult club 18
                    less: 1 kid who also played with the adults.

Total 106. :D

Numbers were down a bit over the summer, but we're back.
                    So, how did SCC do last night? ;)

Comment

Hi Bob G:

We're now up to 95 in an integrated adult/junior swiss in two sections: 1800+; U 1800.

Congratulations on staying ahead of us!

Bob A

Comment

Just curious what portion are CFC members?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                          Just curious what portion are CFC members?
                          Steve, it is low.
                          Adult, maybe 50% CFC
                          Kids, maybe 10% CFC

Mississauga has traditionally been a non CFC club, but we have been introducing CFC events in recent years.

I jokingly refer to Mississauga as the largest weakest club because the bulk of our membership are kids, aged 6 to 10, with an average rating of say 500. We are growing our chess players from seedlings. A long term project, but we are already seeing significant growth of our kids to the adult club and into CFC events. :)

Our growth outlook is very positive. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            Steve, it is low.
                            Adult, maybe 50% CFC
                            Kids, maybe 10% CFC

Mississauga has traditionally been a non CFC club, but we have been introducing CFC events in recent years.

I jokingly refer to Mississauga as the largest weakest club because the bulk of our membership are kids, aged 6 to 10, with an average rating of say 500. We are growing our chess players from seedlings. A long term project, but we are already seeing significant growth of our kids to the adult club and into CFC events. :)

Our growth outlook is very positive. :D
                            From the Scarborough CC membership information web page, it says this:
                            A Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) membership is required for participation in SCC CFC rated tournaments.
                            Players can either renew or purchase new CFC memberships at the club.

So, I would surmise that the Scarborough CC count of CFC members would be high... I suppose there may be some Scarb CC members who do not play in the CFC-rated tournaments?
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

SCC'ers all CFC'ers

Hi Kerry:

Nope - we have no casual players.

All SCC members at least initially become CFC members.

However, some members do skip some tournaments, and so if their CFC membership expires during the skip period, there may be a short time where they are an SCC member, but not a CFC member. But they will be required to renew their CFC membership as soon as they register for their next SCC Tournament.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X