• Show
Clear All

Re: Mississauga cracks 100.

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Steve, it is low.
    Adult, maybe 50% CFC
    Kids, maybe 10% CFC

Our growth outlook is very positive. :D
    What things do you think might encourage the non-CFC adult contingent to join the CFC?

How about with the kids? Our fastest growth recently at the Scarborough Chess Club has been with younger players. And because of how our club works, they're all CFC members.

It seems to me that players who are already into the chess club scene would be natural future CFC members.

Comment

Hi Steve
      At any club the players can play chess without being CFC members.
      If they could not play chess without being CFC Members then all clubs would be CFC affiliated.
      The CFC has to give clubs an incentive to become CFC members.
      Hopefully Michael von Keitz will come up with a suitable plan before his term is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
        What things do you think might encourage the non-CFC adult contingent to join the CFC?
        Steve, given the history of the club, we have a core of long standing members who are content with thursday night chess only, and that meet their needs. Other members who want more, play at CFC events and at neighbouring CFC clubs in Burlington and Hamilton. The mix of CFC and non CFC members works for us.

We run our CFC optional tournaments, we advertise CFC events, we explain the role and benefits of the CFC to our non CFC members. However, there is no desire amongst the club leadership to force CFC membership onto club members.

I see Mississauga as a bridge between the CFC and non CFC chess communities. Both are welcome.
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 5th October, 2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the new Toronto Annex CC has non-CFC members, since they also run exclusively CFC-rated tournaments to my knowledge.

But I understood they also make casual chess available. But is this only for " visitors ", or are there also non-CFC members?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the new Toronto Annex CC has non-CFC members, since they also run exclusively CFC-rated tournaments to my knowledge.

But I understood they also make casual chess available. But is this only for " visitors ", or are there also non-CFC members?

Bob A
            The Annex Chess Club has 3 groups of players present: The weekly CFC slow game players, the kids class/tournament, and casual/speed chess players. Casual players can pay a seasonal or yearly membership, but usually just pay the nightly fee and usually get to listen to a lecture and drink free coffee. There's about 8-16 casual players. The lectures have been getting over 50 listeners each week. I hope that more of Toronto's stronger players will come by to give a lecture.

Comment

Another new record high. :)

Attendance last night.
              Junior club 91
              Adult club 18
              less: 1 kid who also played with the adults.

Total 108. :D

Comment

Bob & Bob:-)

New entrant - and both MCC and SCC are invited!

The Brampton Chess Club opens next Friday Oct 14......
                and we already have 80 signups!! Just 20 to go now:-)

BRAMPTON CHESS CLUB: Lester B. Pearson Catholic School: (FRIDAYS)
                http://www.chess-math.org/pdf/brampton_chess_club.pdf

Join the grand opening party 5:30 pm October 14th - food, drink,
                blitz, the Mayor's office folks, the media....all gonna be there!

Bob G - great work at MCC!
                Here's where you're getting your numbers from (we teach 60 of 'em:-)

MISSISSAUGA "1": Meadowvale Public Library: (MONDAYS)
                http://www.chess-math.org/pdf/missis...ons_group1.pdf

MISSISSAUGA "2": Meadowvale Community Centre: (MONDAYS)
                http://www.chess-math.org/pdf/missis...ons_group2.pdf

Let the games begin:-)

Francis
                Last edited by Francis Rodriguez; Friday, 7th October, 2011, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                  Bob & Bob:-)
                  Here's where you're getting your numbers from (we teach 60 of 'em:-)
                  I was wondering where the numbers were coming from.

Now the secret is revealed! :D

Great Job Larry and CMA!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                    I was wondering where the numbers were coming from.

Now the secret is revealed! :D

Great Job Larry and CMA!
                    Gosh, I hope these comments are not meant as cheap shots at the Mississauga junior chess program. :( For sure some of our kids were introduced to chess by the CMA program, great. Some of them never heard of CMA. Anyway, I don't know the numbers, we are too busy signing up new kids every week.

As for the 60 kids that Francis mentioned, I believe he meant that is the number of kids enrolled in the CMA program in Mississauga, not that 60 of our members came from CMA. ;) It would be interesting too know that number, maybe I will take a poll at the club someday. :)

Anyway, best wishes to CMA for continued success.
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 7th October, 2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Gosh, I hope these comments are not meant as cheap shots at the Mississauga junior chess program. .
                      This comments meant for Larry. He deserves our thanks. There is a reason to his success. :D

I don't see any cheap shots here at Mississauga junior chess program. If you do, please point them out to us :p

Why does CFC executives think the world is trying to get them lol.

Comment

I don't see any cheap shots here at Mississauga junior chess program.

Why does CFC executives think the world is trying to get them lol.
                        No cheap shot, glad to hear it.
                        I will go ahead then and assume your last sentence also is not a cheap shot! :D
                        Group hug. :)

Comment

No cheap shot, glad to hear it.
                          I will go ahead then and assume your last sentence also is not a cheap shot! :D
                          Group hug. :)
                          You can assume whatever you like. :D It is your personal choice. ;)

We leave in the society where unless you are proven. Until then, it is all emty claims. :p
                          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Friday, 7th October, 2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Francis;
                            I hope the Brampton Chess Club will not be offended that you are using their name to promote your CMA club programs.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              Hi Francis;
                              I hope the Brampton Chess Club will not be offended that you are using their name to promote your CMA club programs.
                              Hi John,

Hmm....due diligence:-)

We're running our program at the express invitation of
                              the local fraternity, who are putting the infrastructure
                              in place - I'm just the paperwork, permits, instructors,
                              media guy! Yep, they're hosting the big party on the 14th,
                              and they supplied us with a name to put on the reg. form.

No big deal - if anyone objects (should they?), we'll
                              just rename it something even more interesting - and
                              flow around.....like Tennyson's brook, we're moving on:-)

Francis

Comment

I don't see any cheap shots here at Mississauga junior chess program. If you do, please point them out to us :p
                                Well, I guess what bothers me is that you are quick to praise CMA for our success, but neglect to give any credit to the volunteers at MCC. For sure some of our kids were introduced to chess via CMA, but do you not agree that the lions share of credit for the MCC junior program should go to the volunteers at the MCC?

Each week, the three amigos (Paul, Vince, and yours truly) carpool in from Burlington. The first task is to get the room ready to handle 90+ kids. Unfortunately, we inherit a room with round tables. So we need to push them aside and setup the room with proper tables and chairs. Then we brace ourselves for the flood of kids and parents. It gets quite crazy as I pair them up for their games, Paul deals with the parents, Vince helps out with stray kids and prepares for the adults at 8pm. I would also like to acknowledge volunteers John, Lynda, and Robert who help out with their assigned tasks. Then at 11pm we have to put all the furniture back the way we found it.

The success of the Mississauga Junior chess program is due primarily to the hard work and dedication of the volunteers at MCC.

Mikhail, junior chess does not begin and end with CMA. There are many other junior chess programs across the country due to the blood sweat and tears of local organizers. They all deserve our thanks and praise. We work together and we grow together.

Again, congratulations to CMA for more than 25 years of success.

Mikhail, do you have anything positive to add?

Comment

Working...
                                X