Non-chess News: Toronto Raptors win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-chess News: Toronto Raptors win

Yesterday, Toronto Raptors did something to cheer about - win against New Jersey Nets 99-92. What is interesting for me was that the Raptors scored the win despite 4 of its 5 starters just watching from the bench! Also the Raptors were down to only 9 players, composed mostly of reserves such as Julian Wright, Jack Dorsey, Ajinca,. There is only one point guard Bayless but the Raptors even lead by 20 points at one stretch in the third quarter.

Last 2 games coming up from tonight Milwaukee and on Wednesday night Miami.

There is always the next season to look up to....

Comment

$$$ and long term contracts solve many problems-even playing with friends!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
        $$$ and long term contracts solve many problems-even playing with friends!!!
        Yes, but dollars don't get a player into the Hall of Fame. They need the stats for that and he was the main man with the Raptors.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          I didn't think money was the problem. I thought it was that CB wanted to go to the Heat to play with Wade and James. CB is averaging under 20 points a game this season which is low for him and I think his rebounds are also off as are his assists and blocks. Possibly CB made a huge mistake in not re-signing.
          numbers aren't bad but they're winning...and the weather in Miami is much nicer than Toronto in February. i imagine he had reasons for going outside $$$ and points per game. not that it's going to matter when the Knicks knock them out in the first round :) you heard it here first...

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
            There is always the next season to look up to....
            they need a talent overhaul...underskilled at most positions. say what you want about Bosh, the Raptors problems really started with being unable to re-sign T-Mac a decade (or more?) ago...if you can't sign your own draft picks, what name player is going to want to come as a free agent. They ended up with a good pick with Bosh (#4 pick) , and a number one overall pick (who turned out to be a dud...don't talk PPG with me, go to a game and watch how confused he is on defense) which should have been enough to get them into the playoffs for a few years...which it did, until they couldn't re-sign the free agents.

in the middle of all this, they decide to become the United Nations of basketball, with over half their roster from outside North America. that's all well and good for the fans, but the best international player they've had is Bargnani (see above for how i feel about him) and Jose...who is my favourite Raptor, brings energy, doesn't make many mistakes on offense...but he's small, shoots only when he absolutely has to, and plays shoddy defense. he's fan-freaking-tastic on the fast break, but there's lots of time when you're not fast breaking. there's been lots of guys who are good for about 5 ppg and 15 minutes.

in any case, i think that Raptors fans should have been happier with every loss (!) down the stretch so they can get a better player in the draft, as every win they get now just moves them down the list

Comment

My interest was lost in the Raptors after he left-he was the Main guy,the team has no stars,and I do not know 75% of the players. With MLSE up for sale,the new owner will clean out the GM and Coach for sure and re-build-like the Leafs- a 20 yrear rebuilding project!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
                numbers aren't bad but they're winning...
                This years weren't Hall of Fame numbers and the Hall is where it's at when playing days are over.

I notice Dennis Rodman made the Hall. He was mainly a rebound man. Had a career average of just over 13 per game in the regular season and 20 in the playoffs.

CB averaged just over 8 total rebounds a game this season and it's the first year his blocks were under 1 per game. I hope he can pick it up next season.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Last Monday night, the Toronto Raptors lost to the Milwaukee Bucks in Milwaukee.

I did not feel bad about this loss because the Raptors had only 8 players, and they played back to back games, last Sunday night in Toronto , and then flew to Milwaukee, for Monday night game.

The Raptors led after 3 quarters adn onyl in the 4th quarter did thier energy was zapped out. Bayless slowed down the game to a crawl to fight fatigue.

Anyway, 1 more game on w\Wednesday.

Comment

Last Wednesday night, the Toronto Raptors ended thier season with a blow out loss to the Miami Heat 97 -79 to complete 82 games in the NBA. The Raptors won 22 times in 82 games.

The loss was well taken. It's like drinking a beer that has been uncapped for 3 days...

Hopefully, the rebuilding process continues in this post CB era.

Looking forward to next season, with hope.

Comment

The Raptors ALWAYS die in 3/4 Q-lack of conditioning for sure.

The Big 3 for the Heat did not play-save them from any injury for playoffs. Sucks if you paid $500. to see them...

JT -nice guy - MUST go as Raptors Coach.

Letting CB get away a huge error,$$$ talks and he would stay for right contract,team was building around him.....

Raptors like Leafs in a 20 year re-building project....

Comment

The future Toronto Raptor player became a World U19 champion and the MVP of the tournament.

Jonas Valančiūnas

the group result: LTU-CAN 111-68

Comment

Congratulations....Egis. Maybe one day we can have a drink with him in a downtown pub.....

I am excited to see him in a Raptors uniform next season....i hope there is one as there is currently a lockout.

Here's some more info about him.

" Lithuania is Going to Ride Jonas Valanciunas All the Way to a Gold Medal

Only Russia stands in the way of Lithuania and a trip to the gold medal game. Jonas Valanciunas is exuding his dominance and showing why he was such an early selection in the NBA draft.

He's averaging just under 15 rebounds a game and 21.4 PPG this tournament, both of which are tournament highs.

Valanciunas is playing like a man amongst boys. It seems as though he's going to be a great asset for the Raptors when he enters the NBA, but right now his focus is on bringing Lithuania a gold medal in the FIBA U-19 World Championship."

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                            Congratulations....Egis. Maybe one day we can have a drink with him in a downtown pub.....

I am excited to see him in a Raptors uniform next season....i hope there is one as there is currently a lockout.

Here's some more info about him.

" Lithuania is Going to Ride Jonas Valanciunas All the Way to a Gold Medal

Only Russia stands in the way of Lithuania and a trip to the gold medal game. Jonas Valanciunas is exuding his dominance and showing why he was such an early selection in the NBA draft.

He's averaging just under 15 rebounds a game and 21.4 PPG this tournament, both of which are tournament highs.

Valanciunas is playing like a man amongst boys. It seems as though he's going to be a great asset for the Raptors when he enters the NBA, but right now his focus is on bringing Lithuania a gold medal in the FIBA U-19 World Championship."
                            i'm pretty sure it won't be this year...there's a $2.5 million buyout and the union contract only allows the team to contribute half a million towards that, so Valanciunas has to pay the rest out of his pocket...if there's only part of a season, he only gets part of a rookie contract, so it's not looking good to see him in a Raptors uniform next year. who are the lottery picks going to be next year? :)

Comment

Working...
                            X