Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarborough CC - Cracks 100 for a Swiss

Scarborough CC - Cracks 100 for a Swiss

Scarborough CC in its current 2010-11 Club Championship, for the first time since the 90’s, cracked the 100 barrier for a swiss tournament !!! ( our first 3 tournaments of this 2010-11 season averaged 91 players ).The total registrants is 101!!! We had surpassed 100 club members some time ago, but we had only been in the 90's range for actual turnout to a swiss. This is a nice milestone to pass, and is further evidence that Toronto chess has made a comeback from a number of years ago.

So SCC is hanging onto its bragging rights as the " largest club in Canada ".

Re: Scarborough CC - Cracks 100 for a Swiss

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Scarborough CC - Cracks 100 for a Swiss

Scarborough CC in its current 2010-11 Club Championship, for the first time since the 90’s, cracked the 100 barrier for a swiss tournament !!! ( our first 3 tournaments of this 2010-11 season averaged 91 players ).The total registrants is 101!!! We had surpassed 100 club members some time ago, but we had only been in the 90's range for actual turnout to a swiss. This is a nice milestone to pass, and is further evidence that Toronto chess has made a comeback from a number of years ago.

Bob Armstrong,

You are talking and confusing people about bragging rights here.

You can claim that SCC has the most number of Swiss CFC Rated Tournament but...

Bob Gillanders still has the most number of club members of over 101.

Total Club membership and Total swiss tournament attendance are two different matters.

These bragging rights are two separate matters.

Comment

Re: Scarborough CC - Clinging to Its Bragging Rights !

Hi Rob:

No confusion I think - I believe SCC had around 125 members as of earlier in the year. I'll see if I can get our very busy Treasurer to update his current records to get an exact count now.

I thought Mississauga CC had just barely cracked 100 members a bit ago. What is it they say? If you are # 2, you try harder !

Let me know if our bragging rights for either a swiss or actual membership are in doubt !

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 14th April, 2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Mississauga hit another new high for the junior club tonight. 89 juniors!

All my numbers have been attendance on a particular day. If you want to talk memberships, I'll have to go and get my abacus. Memberships will be higher since not all members show up every week. :)

Comment

Re: Scarborough CC - Clinging to Its Bragging Rights !

Hi Bob,

All I want to say is congratulations on a job well done! It is truly remarkable. I will have to visit SCC club one of this day and maybe join! :)

Comment

Welcome!

Hi Michael:

You'd enjoy being in our top of three sections in our regular swiss. The top 9 of our current Championship section average over 2200.

You'd be a welcome addition - bit of a drive though ! But of course SCC is worth some sacrifice !!

Bob

Comment

But Mikhail, you live in Burlington.

SCC and MCC both meet on thursday evening. You would drive right past Mississauga club to go to Scarborough club!
              I am hurt. :(:o;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                But Mikhail, you live in Burlington.

SCC and MCC both meet on thursday evening. You would drive right past Mississauga club to go to Scarborough club!
                I am hurt. :(:o;)
                This has been my problem.

I like to play in SCC and MCC, but both on Thursday nights.

Is there a chance one of these clubs transfer to Wednesday or a Friday night?

Tuesday night is for Brampton chess club.

@Mikhail - no soup for you...lol!
                Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Saturday, 16th April, 2011, 12:30 AM. Reason: joke; typo

Comment

Re : Scarborough CC - Cracks 100 for a Swiss

The Montreal Chess club has 147 members : http://fqechecs.qc.ca/acteur/clubs/m...20du%20CEM.pdf

There is usually about 60 players every week playing there. More would like to play but sadly there is not enough room :(

Comment

The Montreal CC is basically a club in name only. A $2 "membership fee" is charged to players who enter the weekly Wednesday night 6-player sectionals, and the monthly Saturday 3-games-in-a-day events. Otherwise, there is no apparent activity. (the tournaments are held using the facilites of Chess and Math in Montreal)

There is an elected executive - last year I attended the annual meeting, and there were 4 people there.
                    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Saturday, 16th April, 2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Guys, I have a confusion in my understanding in the last 2 posts: from Felix and Hugh.

Are we looking at the same time frame here?

Comment

Felix's "every week" is referring to the Wednesday night tournament (and Wednesday nights only) - there are no other scheduled activities (besides the monthly Saturday event). During the day, the facilities are used by CMA (although I believe casual play does take place - but mostly amongst CMA employees/teachers); in the evening it's closed except on Wednesdays.

The current tournament has 9 6-player sections, or 54 players. With some discomfort, you could fit close to 80 players in the available space, but it is usually limited to 60.

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/acteur/clu...treal/merc.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Bragging rights maybe... but it becomes old really fast when you say it every time you mention the name of the club.

A bigger feat would be to have the *strongest club in Canada*.
                          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                            Bragging rights maybe... but it becomes old really fast when you say it every time you mention the name of the club.

Hmm, what are the conditions for being the strongest club? Highest average rating? Highest median? Is there a minimum number of members required? Does it mean simply having the best player? If Sambuev plays Samsonkin blitz can they argue they have the strongest club?

Bragging about SCC is simply a form of advertising. All advertising gets old and deals with statements that are true in some context but open to debate.

If Bob's bragging gets another member, good for him and all the other members.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post

They sure are strong in the field of attracting members.

One of the easiest jobs I ever had was selling memberships for the SCC some 40 years ago. Players used to walk in the door just to join. I used to have to make sure the membership didn't get larger than the fire regulations allowed for occupancy. It was a public building and the maximum number of occupants was posted. I forget the exact number but it was over 100.

The strength of a club is over rated. It's the executives job to run events and help players improve. That's something running events in sections according to rating won't do. It breeds complacency. The strong section participants don't have to play all that hard because they are simply swapping rating points back and forth without having to worry about weaker players they have to beat. The other classes simply play other weak player all the time and are wasting their time.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X