Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Closed updates

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    A large majority of the provinces in Canada are not represented at this event. I do not think this is a good thing.

Personally, If I were to organize this tournament (which I would not do unless I could do it well!), I would give free entry and accommodation to the top rated player in each province (they must have a minimum CFC rating of 2200). I understand that money has to come from somewhere (and this is not intended as a criticism of the organizers) but it is important that we work to make our National Championships...truly NATIONAL!
    Larry,
    Don't follow in my footsteps. You'll make ennemies... :) And furthermore people could have a good case saying that you should do it yourself if you are not happy with it... ;)
    Last edited by Jean Hébert; Tuesday, 3rd May, 2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Don't follow in my footsteps. You'll make ennemies... :)
      I think that you made some contribution: at the latest Canadian Junior championship all players had name tags; there was a video with a award ceremony

Being on the topic (Closed):
      Which rating is used for pairing purposes? B.A. sorted all players with FIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        Larry,
        Don't follow in my footsteps. You'll make ennemies... :) And furthermore people could have a good case saying that should do it yourself if you are not happy with it... ;)
        Hi Jean,

Both you and I have thick skins...we have been around for a long time :).

I think you make good points on many occasions...I simply question your style :).

As a good friend of ours says "You can say anything...it is the way you say it that counts".

So if the objective of the exercise is to improve things then lets make it work!

I believe the chess community in this country has been blessed with many talented administrative people over the years.

The problem has been that the good people leave through frustration :)

Larry

Comment

We are pleased to confirm that IM Leonid Gerzhoy is player number 27.

1 GM Bator Sambuev
          2 IM Leonid Gerzhoy
          3 IM Nikolay Noritsyn
          4 IM Artiom Samsonkin
          5 IM Eric Hansen
          6 FM Shiyam Thavandiran
          7 Roman Sapozhnikov
          8 Victor Plotkin
          9 Arthur Calugar
          10 FM Christian Stevens
          11 Zi Yi [Joey] Qin
          12 FM Michael Barron
          13 FM Michael Dougherty
          14 FM Hans Jung
          15 Michael Humphreys
          16 Miladin Djerkovic
          17 Josh Guo
          18 Michael Kleinman
          19 FM Dale Haessel
          20 Réjean Tremblay
          21 Vladimir Drkulec
          22 John Upper
          23 Nikola Anastasovski
          24 David Filipovich
          25 David Itkin
          26 Morgon Mills
          27 Matthew Nicholson

Comment

I think you make good points on many occasions...I simply question your style :).

As a good friend of ours says "You can say anything...it is the way you say it that counts".

So if the objective of the exercise is to improve things then lets make it work!

I believe the chess community in this country has been blessed with many talented administrative people over the years.

The problem has been that the good people leave through frustration :)
            It seems to me that over the years I have been thoroughly unsuccessful in making certain people quit. These guys just don't quit! Surely I have been way too soft... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              I think that you made some contribution: at the latest Canadian Junior championship all players had name tags; there was a video with a award ceremony
              God works in mysterious ways. I cannot take credit for it... :)

Comment

A large majority of the provinces in Canada are not represented at this event. I do not think this is a good thing.

Personally, If I were to organize this tournament (which I would not do unless I could do it well!), I would give free entry and accommodation to the top rated player in each province (they must have a minimum CFC rating of 2200). I understand that money has to come from somewhere (and this is not intended as a criticism of the organizers) but it is important that we work to make our National Championships...truly NATIONAL!

Larry
                Larry, I'm an admirer of you for your work in chess and your willingness to allow a wide range of opinions on this board. On this particular issue I must respectfully disagree.

The purpose of the Closed is not to equally represent the provinces. The provinces are unfortunately not drawn up in a way that optimizes the distribution of Canada's best chess players. If you allow, say, PEI's best player in place of Ontario's 20th best player, even if the latter is a much better player than the former, then you've reduced the competition of the Closed. Ontario's 20th best player might not only be better than PEI's best player, but s/he might also be more competitive by virtue of playing against stiffer OTB competition week after week. PEI's best player likely doesn't get to Ontario (or anywhere else in Canada) much to play chess. So even if PEI's best player has 2200 CFC rating and so does Ontario's 20th best player, it doesn't make them equal. PEI's best player might be crushing all the opposition on PEI, while Ontario's 20th best player might be much more even against much stiffer opposition. You can substitute many provinces for PEI, and one or two for Ontario, and still come up with the same situation.

Just as a comparison, I wonder if, in the days of the Soviet republic, they tried to uniformly represented their republic in their national championships. Or did most, if not all, of their best players come from their more populous western regions? They do have the same geographical considerations that Canada does in terms of population distribution.

I understand and respect your desire for a better Closed. I can even say the same (believe it or not) for Jean Hebert. You hit the nail on the head when you (in another post) mention Jean's technique. It just doesn't do to point fingers at people that are trying against all odds to make something, imperfect though it may be, to happen. It is much better to respect them for their efforts, to help them in any way you can, to help the whole situation in any way you can, and mostly to be positive in the face of limited resources, which the nature of the game causes.

Learn from people like Bob Gillanders, Mikhail Egorov, Hal Bond, to mention just a few. Be positive, be patient, work with what you are given, and contribute what you can. Never sit back and criticize from a distance, unless you can be absolutely sure of one thing: that which you criticize is not motivated by a love of the game of chess.

Finally, while the purpose of the Closed may not be to be "truly NATIONAL", that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some event that has that purpose. There should be more opportunity for a gifted player in PEI to play OTB against his or her peers in more competitive provinces. Perhaps it is the Canadian Open, not the Closed, which should award free entry and accomodation to each Province's best player, irregardless of rating.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

IM Raja Pankwani and FM Robert Hamilton have joined the field. Now serving 29.

Comment

Sorry - that was IM Raja Panjwani CFC 2450, FIDE 2415. Sorry about that Raja.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      ... The purpose of the Closed is not to equally represent the provinces. ...
                      That's not what Larry said (see below). He simply said that if he was organizing the Closed he would help the best player from each province (subject to min. 2200 rtg.) to attend. He did not say that he would restrict the tournament to these individuals.

Originally posted by Larry Bevand

Larry
                      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Wednesday, 4th May, 2011, 04:55 PM.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        That's not what Larry said (see below). He simply said that if he was organizing the Closed he would help the best player from each province (subject to min. 2200 rtg.) to attend. He did not say that he would restrict the tournament to these individuals.
                        You are correct, Peter, I should not have put the word "equally" in my statement.

I would still say, then, that the purpose of the Closed is not to represent all the provinces. It's a nice idea to give geographically-challenged players the chance to encounter stiffer OTB competition, but the Closed isn't the event for it. Either the Canadian Open, or perhaps some new event created explicitly for this purpose.
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

The Closed used to represent regions when it was a truly Closed event. We have turned all of our former RR events and turned them into Swiss cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                            ... I would still say, then, that the purpose of the Closed is not to represent all the provinces. It's a nice idea to give geographically-challenged players the chance to encounter stiffer OTB competition, but the Closed isn't the event for it. ...
                            I agree with you on this.

With perhaps one or two exceptions (e.g. allowing Cdn. jr. champ to play if s/he doesn't qualify by rating), I think a national championship should be for the nation's very best players in a round-robin format.
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Canadian Closed - A National Championship

Hi Ken and Peter:

National RR would be nice - but aren't there financial realities? - FACT: CFC has insufficient funds to pay all expenses for representation from all provinces.

On the other hand:

1. This year's closed is not too shabby - top 10:

1 GM Bator Sambuev, Quebec ( FIDE – 2513; CFC – 2750 )
                              2 IM Leonid Gerzhoy, Ontario ( FIDE 2496; CFC - 2629 )
                              3 IM Eric Hansen, Alberta ( FIDE – 2425; CFC – 2572 )
                              4 IM Nikolay Noritsyn, Ontario ( FIDE – 2419; CFC - 2584 )
                              5 IM Artiom Samsonkin, Ontario ( FIDE – 2394; CFC - 2561 )
                              6 FM Shiyam Thavandiran, Ontario ( FIDE – 2335; CFC – 2463 )
                              7 FM Christian Stevens, Ontario ( FIDE 2320; CFC 2378 )
                              8 Roman Sapozhnikov, Ontario ( FIDE – 2318; CFC – 2451 )
                              9 Victor Plotkin, Ontario ( FIDE 2228; CFC 2422 )
                              10 FM Michael Barron, Ontario ( FIDE – 2223; CFC – 2328 )

2. There was nothing stopping the 6 provinces not represented from doing what Alberta did - hold a provincial closed championship and raise prize funds to send the provincial champion. Or to find a provincial sponsor to send the top-rated player in the province. The tournament is open.

Then we'd also have a " national " championship, no?

Bob

Comment

Bob,
                                Did I suggest the CFC should pay for regional representatives to a RR tournament? These could be paid by the regions. Yout top 10 have 8 Ontarions, 1 Quebecois and an Albertan. That never happened in the RR days.
                                Last edited by Ken Craft; Thursday, 5th May, 2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X