Canadian Closed updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Closed updates

The Canadian model in nearly every sporting activity is to allow for Provincial or at least Regional representation at National events.

Chess is somewhat unique in that we can have almost an unlimited number of participants, as opposed to physical sports where playing venue time is at a premium.

Until such time as significant sponsorship is available this issue seems like a moot point.

A good question would be whether to throw $4000-5000 on accommodating provincial reps or adding it to the prize fund, if someone could come up with just that much ?

Comment

We had RRs without sponsorship. What has changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        We had RRs without sponsorship. What has changed?
        At that time, the organizer was responsible for accomodating the players. This typically meant that the Canadian Closed would have no prize fund.

It became harder and harder to find organizers.

The CFC moved to a model where each event would also raise it's own money ot cover the travel costs to the corresponding World Championship, as our finances sank....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          ?..This typically meant that the Canadian Closed would have no prize fund.
          Not quite. First prize was the right (and usually a paid trip?) to play in the internzonal, a big round robin with some of the worlds best players and part of a clear path to the world championship. Now, you may or may not get the right to go to someplace in Siberia to play two games and which may or may not be part of a path to the world championship.

Comment

Yes first place is still travel to the next stage. Now there is also a cash prize.

Back in the day, I'm not sure if there was any prize money for say finishing 15th out of 18 in an Interzonal. Now the minimum prize is $4,800 US (for losing your two game match) in the World Cup.

The current rules I've seen call for the top 3 from the World Cup to advance to the next set of Candidates matches.

Comment

Re: Canadian Closed - A National Championship

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              1. This year's closed is not too shabby - top 10:

1 GM Bator Sambuev, Quebec ( FIDE – 2513; CFC – 2750 )
              2 IM Leonid Gerzhoy, Ontario ( FIDE 2496; CFC - 2629 )
              3 IM Eric Hansen, Alberta ( FIDE – 2425; CFC – 2572 )
              4 IM Nikolay Noritsyn, Ontario ( FIDE – 2419; CFC - 2584 )
              5 IM Artiom Samsonkin, Ontario ( FIDE – 2394; CFC - 2561 )
              6 FM Shiyam Thavandiran, Ontario ( FIDE – 2335; CFC – 2463 )
              7 FM Christian Stevens, Ontario ( FIDE 2320; CFC 2378 )
              8 Roman Sapozhnikov, Ontario ( FIDE – 2318; CFC – 2451 )
              9 Victor Plotkin, Ontario ( FIDE 2228; CFC 2422 )
              10 FM Michael Barron, Ontario ( FIDE – 2223; CFC – 2328 )
              Not too shabby for an Ontario weekender, but not impressive for a Canadian Closed. No Kovalyov, no Bluvshtein, no Roussel-Roozmon, no Hébert, and fewer IMs than in 2009. Once again a last minute effort to the benefit of local players. Sadly it seems that it is all that canadian chess is capable of.

Comment

Provincial Non-Attendance

Hi Ken:

I guess what I don't understand is why Alberta held a Closed, and raised money to send their champion, and the other 6 province non-attendees have not done the same, or paid somehow for their top-rated to play. The field is still pretty strong and it seems a decent tournament. And it is still the national championship at stake, and this year also a World Cup position.

Bob

Comment

Re: Provincial Non-Attendance

I guess what I don't understand is why Alberta held a Closed, and raised money to send their champion, and the other 6 province non-attendees have not done the same, or paid somehow for their top-rated to play...
                  It is not clear to me why would the provinces get all worked up for a Canadian championship announced only three months before it is held and whose competitive value remains uncertain until days before it starts; a "Closed" that is actually sort of open, with an uncertain prize fund who depends on quantity of participation obtained at the cost of quality and competitive value, an obvious flaw in its format.
                  To be honest it is not guaranteed that even a real "Closed", sharply organised, would draw lots of active involvement from dormant provincial associations. But as things stand they have all the excuses needed to stay on the sidelines.
                  In the meantime the Canadian Ch. remains a provincial affair that as such weakens the CFC's influence and credibility as a national organisation.

Comment

Great job Hal. :)

An impressive lineup of 27 players when we were worried just a couple of months ago that we may not have a closed. Thanks.

Note: John Upper is from Quebec. :)

ps. If Jean Hebert tries to join at the last minute, be sure to charge him a late fee. :)
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 5th May, 2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Ken:

I guess what I don't understand is why Alberta held a Closed, and raised money to send their champion, and the other 6 province non-attendees have not done the same, or paid somehow for their top-rated to play. The field is still pretty strong and it seems a decent tournament. And it is still the national championship at stake, and this year also a World Cup position.

Bob
                      Well, BC has a closed with free entry and a prize fund that is intended (at least in the past) to help pay a BC champion's expenses to a Canadian Closed. But, the fact of the matter is, nobody in BC is interested in a Closed that:
                      a) has less than 3 months notice of it's existence, let alone deciding on who can go, arranging vacation time, arranging travel,etc. Not to mention, conditions such as round times and the days of the tournament have been changed after the announcement.
                      b) has more in common with the Open section of a weekend Swiss than it does with a National championship.

That World cup position you talk about is subject to the vagaries of FIDE changing it's mind and amounts to just 2 games. Not such a big motivator.

This is not just an opinion, I've talked with people who would be contenders and that's the way it is. Hell, I could have gone last time but 3 months notice with inadequate publicity doesn't cut it.

None of this should be news to you, it's all been said before.

Comment

Re: Canadian Closed - A National Championship

Kovalyov can't play as he's still listed as Argentina.

Of the top-10 active in Canada by rating, you have 6 in the event. That's not too bad!
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                          but 3 months notice....doesn't cut it.
                          There seems to be a double standard at work here.

An organizers gives three months notice, that is considered inadequate,
                          but an organizer is not allowed to ask the elite player to preregister a few weeks in advance. :o
                          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 5th May, 2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

but an organizer is not allowed to ask the elite player to preregister a few weeks in advance. :o
                            No double standard here. In both cases organizers are doing their best to keep elite players away. :)

Comment

Great job Hal. :)

An impressive lineup of 27 players when we were worried just a couple of months ago that we may not have a closed. Thanks.

Note: John Upper is from Quebec. :)

ps. If Jean Hebert tries to join at the last minute, be sure to charge him a late fee. :)
                              What a comedian... A champion of misplaced "humour".

Comment

Not by me. I have no problem with demanding advance pre-registration for players getting freebies. In fact, you got the idea from me remember?

Comment

Working...
                                X